Saturday, August 17, 2024

Pomegranates

One of my Pomegranates

 I was first introduced to pomegranates when I noticed my classmates bringing them in their lunch boxes. It was a new fruit for me, and my mom, who is originally from Ohio, had never encountered a pomegranate until then, so we never had them at home. Surprisingly, we now have four pomegranate trees that my dad planted years ago. California is the top producer of pomegranates. These trees thrive in hot, dry summers and mild, wet winters. Arizona and Texas also grow Pomegranates. 

  


The tree yields stunning blooms with delicately ruffled petals in a dazzling array of hues. These are undeniably one of the most alluring flowers in my garden.


The mature fruit is akin in size to an orange, showcasing a vibrant crimson color and a delightful interplay of sweetness and tanginess. Upon ripening, the pomegranate bursts open, exposing a profusion of seeds, each encased in glistening, jewel-like crimson arils.

These fruits reach maturity in the late autumn, painting the garden with their rich, luscious colors.

I am not sure if our pomegranate trees are suitable for consumption. It seems like the fruits are only eaten by the birds. Perhaps we need to consider fertilizing the trees, but we haven't explored this issue yet.

The birds seem to adore them, and it's likely the reason we attract such a diverse range of bird species.



The fruit production has just begun. Some plants still have flowers, while others are in transition, like the one shown in the photo.


Pomegranates in The Bible

Source: amirrom.com





36 comments:

  1. I hope you can eat them. They are so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing - we can't get to them fast enough because of the birds.

      Delete
  2. Heard of them seen them in the supermarket but have never tried on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever even tried a pomegranate, Debby. I'll have to put that fruit on my bucket list. :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've eaten pomegranates often but didn't know about their growing habits. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’re good for us. High in antioxidants can help protect your heart as well as anti-inflammatory and antitumor properties.

      Delete
  5. I never knew pomegranates had such pretty flowers! I've never had one, but I do see them occasionally in the produce section. I should try one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have pomegranate trees in your back yard, Debby. You know, when Nel was growing up, I used to put a pomegranate in her stocking every Christmas, as she loves them. She still does. The blooms are so pretty, and what a soft pinkish color. Now, I used to spit the seeds out and eat the fruit, but I've always wondered if you could swallow the seeds as well. They're a bit bitter. Enjoy your trees!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit tart - I never spit the seeds out. Maybe that's why I have diverticulitis!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. They have a delicate sweetness with a little tartness. One of the most healthiest fruits. High in antioxidants can help protect your heart as well as anti-inflammatory and antitumor properties.

      Delete
  8. I have never seen a real Pomegranate tree. GOSH, the flowers are gorgeous! This one reminds me of a Peony!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pomegranate juice is really good. Such lovely photos, thanks for the many smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone my husband worked with when we lived in California gave us a big bag of pomegranates. We tried to eat them, but it was...well... complicated to say the least. I have had the "Pom Wonderful" juice which is excellent. I hope you are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just slice and then tear them open with my fingers. Or you can scope out all that goodness. They have videos and images on how to cut them.

      Delete
  11. How lucky you have a pomegranate tree. I have managed to grow the plant from seeds. They are now 1 foot tall.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Debby. Pomegranates are a very good source of E...as well as other vitamins. We have several in our yard, as my husband (Sam) grows thousands of these trees each year. We eat the little fruited seeds on salads and even by themselves. They are so delicious. The birds around here love them and sometimes, ruin the fruit before we can pick them. Happy Sunday.... Your new place here is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love eating pomegranates and decorating with them too. Loved seeing them on the tree with the flower. Very interesting. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember buying a pomegranate at the corner store near school when I was young. It was all the rage then. We all had purple stain on our fingers and clothes. I loved the tart flavor.
    Moving here to our home in Central California was so much fun. We had fruit trees which wouldn't grow on the coast.
    We enjoyed the pomegranate tree for many years, prickly thorns and all, but sadly it finally died last year. I guess those trees don't last forever.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember getting the reddish/purple stain on my clothing and fingers!

      Delete
  15. What a lovely story of discovering pomegranates and now having your own trees flourishing in your garden! The vibrant blooms and rich colors must be a stunning sight, even if the birds are the main beneficiaries for now. Wishing you a beautiful week ahead! Check out my new style post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/08/uoozee-church-outfit-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pomegranates are supposed to be good for us. Never had one, myself. Hope you can beat the birds to them and give one a try.
    Oh, a little tasty tidbit concerning history: Catherine of Aragon's, Henry the VIII 1st wife, symbol of choice was a Pomegranate. 😁💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the historical tidbit. I can see how Catherine of Aragons symbol of choice was a pomegranate as the trees grow in Mediterranean climates and she was from Spain.
      It’s truly a beautiful fruit tree.

      Delete
  17. I was surprise on how many comments you got regarding never having tasted a pomegranarte. I guess one forgets that we Californians have access to fruits and vegetables that seem common to us and those in other states don't see or are not familar with them. I personally love them. My folks place has two trees that produce plenty every year. I also have a friend that makes jelly from them at Christmas time and gives them out to friends and family. One of my favorite jellys for toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised too. Pomegranates are a super fruit.
      As my mom would say, “ just leaves more for us” I think one reason is most people just don’t know how to eat them - similar to eating artichokes; another California delicacy.

      Delete
  18. I love pomegranates. We do not get them often, because they are expensive here in Wisconsin. That was one thing I loved when we visited California, all the fruit!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress