California's winter rainy season is winding down, but April likes to throw us a few curveballs with its spring rain showers. I never can understand how so many get caught off-guard - it happens every year! These spring rains are nothing compared to the wild downpours we get in winter from those atmospheric rivers. It’s just enough to help the young plants we've planted get a good drink before the long, hot/dry summer kicks in.
Earlier this week, we decided to explore our local area a bit more. Growing up in the city and spending most of my life in the Bay Area, I didn’t realize how much I hadn’t explored until moving here, 250 miles away from a metro area. I also enjoy supporting small towns, whether it’s stopping for coffee, buying a gift, or having a meal, to help their local economy, and the locals are usually so nice to chat with. We headed to the Fork Crook Museum in Fall River Mills, a tiny spot in Eastern Shasta County with just 616 residents. The town’s been around since 1855!
After a stunning 90-minute drive (complete with road-repair chaos), we found out the museum wouldn’t open until May 1. Uh oh, that kinda hurts! With gas prices hitting $6- $ 7 a gallon and more, it can sting the budget a bit. But it’s not too bad for us since we drive a plug-in hybrid and get a decent number of electric miles.
They were setting up for a big rummage sale, so they let us wander around the grounds.
I was fascinated by this covered wagon that used to take folks from Redding to Burney.
The Weekend
In between dodging raindrops this weekend, we’ve been tossing around some ideas for some yard projects and stopping in at different places for inspiration. At one point, we realized we weren’t quite on the same page, so we just set that idea aside for now. We’ll come back to it later. None of it is life-shattering if we do it or not. It's a want and not a need.
The forecast ahead has a mix of sunshine and showers.
This week, I'm getting ready for the last three weeks of BSF. After the one-week break, I can definitely tell I'm ready for a break myself. Next year, we'll be diving into Romans - a study I have completed many times, but always find something new the Lord wants me to know and appreciate.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16
What is your favorite verse in Romans?
That does it for me on this Monday.
Until the next time -
Debby
Choose gratitude and joy for the week ahead.













.jpg)
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI like the old jail.
I enjoy visiting museums like this, with the old buildings that you can go in, touch and see.
Thank you for sharing all the trees!!
xo
P.S. I will have to get back to you on my favorite verse in Romans.
Yeah I love the small town museums.
DeleteYou visit the most interesting places and all your pictures are so beautiful! Too bad the museum wasn't opened yet! Good you got to walk around the grounds though!
ReplyDeleteYeah what a bummer. We'll go back in a few weeks.
DeleteIt sounds like even though things weren't completely open you managed to make the best of the day.
ReplyDeleteIt was a fun day. Beautiful area, quite and not a lot of people.
DeleteRomans 12:12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. I really enjoyed your photos of the museum buildings and hope you get to return when the main building is open! Keep us posted!!
ReplyDeleteWe will! Yep Romans 12:12 is a good one.
DeleteI love visiting places like that. Looks like something we would enjoy, but what a bummer it was closed. Glad you got to walk around anyway.
ReplyDeleteRomans is so full of good things! Romans 8:28 all things work together for good... is such a good one. I also like Romans 5:8 - "God shows his love in this, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans is so rich.
DeleteI haven't heard of the Fall River Mills before. There are so many tiny towns up in your area that are mostly unknown. Love the old wagon..rusty and decay are always a favorite photography go-to for me.
ReplyDeleteWell you know maybe that Mexican restaurant really was the "best around" maybe it was the only one or the best of those in that area...(:0)
Its hard to find a good one anywhere.
We had to cut down some broken limbs on a tree in our side yard. Tomorrow is garbage day so we got them all cut and out to the curb. Very satisfying to feel good and strong enough to get a big job done. Actually pulled a few weeds too since the earth was soft after all of the rain. Now there's always tomorrow ...
To be continued.
Sue
Far Eastern Shasta County, about 19 miles east of Burney Falls.
DeleteI think you guys did great getting out there to cut down limbs and all. Good for you and it is satisfying. It's always "to be continued" isn't it?
My favorite verse in Romans is probably Romans 8:28, but there are so many really good verses along "the Roman Road" to salvation. It's a great book!! Love all the pretty flowers and trees and things you saw at the museum. Hard for us to imagine having to travel by covered wagon or stagecoach! Couldn't have been too comfortable, that's for sure! Bumpy old dirt roads with lots of holes and mud and rocks to dodge. And we complain if there are a few potholes in our paved roads while we sit in our air conditioned cushioned vehicles! LOL. Glad you have gotten some rain. We are still waiting for our reall good rain to get here.This has been one of the driest years I think we've ever had. And yet things are still growing! go figure! LOL. I hope you are doing well. Sending you some extra (((HUGS))). Blackie sends his love to your Susie.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine traveling by stagecoach in those high elevation mountain passes - what a rocky ride for sure. Soon our dry season will be here so every bit of rain is good before the really hot weather comes.
DeleteThe Roman Road scriptures are great. Those blooms on the trees are beautiful, such pretty pictures!!
ReplyDeleteI know I just loved those blooms. So pretty in pink.
DeleteI love your philosophy about supporting small towns -- and their sweet denizens! Most folks are definitely friendlier "off the beaten path." I'm sorry to hear the Mexican food was disappointing ... but grinning to see someone else enjoys their food with a bite of heat.
ReplyDeleteEspecially our rural towns. They depend so much on those passing through. Oh yes, we do enjoy some heat in our Mexican food. My sons always carry a small bottle of TapatÃo just in case.
DeleteWell, I'm very familiar with this museum, and each time I've visited they were closed until May, so I know that now. ; ) There are a lot of interesting things to look at in that division, and I just love that little schoolhouse, and have taken pictures of it many times. We've been to the Mexican restaurant, and it's a charming town to get away for a while and spend some time. The lake is just down the road, which is a peaceful setting, and a new coffee shop opened up in town. I love the nursery, as they have a little shop inside the nursery. Up the road is the area where there have been Bigfoot sightings. Love that picture of the covered wagon. I didn't see that one.
ReplyDeleteOh, I wish I was there for the rummage sale, sounds fun. I hope your yard projects turn out just the way you want. You have a big back yard, and that's a good start. ; )
Yeah we will go back in May sometime. I also wanted to go to Hat Creek Park off 299. We couldn't go in due to road work. Looks like a good place to fish. I love Hat creek and we always go to the part closest to Lassen. Such a nice area. I'd like to explore a bit more next time when visit.
DeleteBeautiful blossoms, and I just love visiting old museums like that one.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I do too. I love seeing the old ways of living during by those times. Fascinating!
Delete**If you ever visit again, drive into town, and right by the DMV is a open and clear view of Mount Shasta, it's beautiful. It feels like you can reach out, and it's there.
ReplyDeleteWe'll check that out! Thanks
DeleteMuseums are wonderful trips into the past. Thank you for your ending verse:
ReplyDelete“This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”Psalm 118:24
God bless you always.
Good morning I enjoyed your post nice to be able to explore spots in your area and I love dandelions Kathy
ReplyDeleteThink about what life must have been like back in 1855, that jail is so cool.
ReplyDeleteEven though the museum itself wasn't open, I'd say you had an interesting journey back in time, Debby. I love learning the history of different places, so this truly fit the bill for me today. Have a blessed week!
ReplyDeleteWe have an old jailhouse in the town our store is in. They say there is a ghost in it, but I can neither confirm or deny that. Ours is the old red brick. Loved seeing the trees and the flowers...even the dandelions. My old neighbor use to make dandelion wine before his passing. I never tried it though but he loved it. The bad weather skipped us last evening which I am glad for. I hate storms in the dark. Janice
ReplyDeleteI enjoy visiting small towns like that.
ReplyDeleteActually the whole chapter of Romans 12 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. One of the verses in the chapter that I really like is 18. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
Shame the museum wasn't open but you did take and share some very good photographs... thank you.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Even though it was not open it was very interesting to me. Loved those trees.
ReplyDeleteJust letting you know that I didn't read the post, just skimmed it and checked out the photos and thought wow I would like to visit this town
ReplyDeleteI so enjoyed this post today! I really enjoyed all the photos. Thanks for sharing. As for my favorite verse in Romans. Of course, there is 6:23 - thankful for the gift of eternal life - but I think I would chose Romans 12:1-2. Blessings to you today!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post very much. Loved all the photos. Loved the photos.
ReplyDelete