Monday, April 20, 2026

Kickstarting Monday- Peace and Contentment in the not-so-perfect

 


It's that time of year again. 






It's time for two of my sons' annual Lost Coast backpacking trip. 

They left early to reach the bus drop-off at the trailhead. This is a challenging trek through the King Mountain range, where few reach the black-sand beaches. They'll be back Saturday, and I always pray for their safety. I trust their judgment and want them to enjoy life, as taking risks is part of the experience.


The unique black sand on the Lost Coast is formed by the erosion of dark rocks (such as basalt and dark sandstone/greywacke) from the King Range. The waves and currents grind those rocks down to concentrate the heavy, dark fragments (magnetite, basalt pieces, etc.) on the shoreline, producing the black‑sand beach. Coastal uplift, steep cliffs, high wave energy, it's a special place that remains untouched by heavy foot traffic. 






 

Harriet

On Saturday, I had a part of the day all to myself. So I drove over to my favorite farm stand to see what the farmer's wife had. I didn't get anything. All she had was garlic and onions which I didn't need.









I always enjoy driving over to her farm. 



Around 7pm last night, we took a little over 
a 2-mile evening walk. It was a beautiful evening. 






Walked over to a new bridge they put in  - 





Now, when you drive over, I can't see the creek, so I wanted to take a look-see. 






The mosquitoes are out and about, and I forgot to wear some protection. So far, I haven't found any bites. 







 I bought the new computer we decided on. It's still sitting in the box, here in the office, and I'll get it set up later today or this week. Setting up a new computer is so much easier than it used to be - 



Tid Bits


✅We're looking at some rain in the forecast - possibly three days of it, so we rescheduled the delivery of the rocks for Friday. 

Okay about those Rocks!

There’s something about yardwork that has a way of exposing both our ambition and our limitations.

The other day, we found ourselves deep in discussion about rocks. Not just a few bags but six yards of them. 

Six. 

What were we thinking? 

Somewhere between the planning and the reality, we both felt an uneasiness settle in. It didn’t feel quite right. So we stopped, talked it through, and scaled it back to one yard.

One yard sounds much more like us these days.

It’s funny how our ideas haven’t aged a bit, but our bodies gently remind us that they have. We get these big ideas for projects we would have tackled without hesitation a few years ago, and now comes that inner voice: 

“Did you consider your back?” 

 “What about that torn rotator cuff?"

We’re learning, slowly but surely, that while we can still do many things, we can’t do everything the way we used to. And if we’re honest, that realization doesn’t come easily. We both don't like other people working on our home. We do it ourselves. Maybe it's because we both came from families who pushed through, fixed things themselves, and rarely stopped to consider whether they should. They just did. There’s a kind of pride in that, a grit that’s hard to let go of. It just goes against my grain to hire outside help. It's like it's cheating. 

Like it or not, there’s also wisdom in knowing when to step back.

Because in the end, these house projects? They’re not eternal. They don’t define us. And they certainly aren’t worth wearing ourselves down over. It’s taken some time to see that clearly.

I was reminded of this lesson last year with something as simple as paint. We had a new garage door installed and carefully chose a trim color that was supposed to match. Only… it didn’t. Not quite. Close enough for some, but not for me. I tend to notice those things. My husband, on the other hand, was perfectly content to leave it as is.

And there I was, standing at the crossroads of “Is this worth it?”

He would have repainted it if I had pushed hard enough. But should I have? It would have made me sound spoiled and entitled.  Again, the truth is, nothing in this life is ever going to be perfectly matched, perfectly aligned, or perfectly finished.

So why do I let it 

work me up?

Maybe it’s pride. (ouch) Perfectionism? Maybe it’s that quiet concern about what others might think. Do the neighbors notice? Do they think we're color blind? 

And then comes the freeing thought:

  Who cares?

It doesn’t look bad. It just doesn’t look perfect.

Even now, when I pull into the driveway, I still see it. That slight mismatch. That tiny imperfection. But I’m learning not to let it steal my peace. I have to remind myself that perfection isn’t the goal.

Peace and contentment in the not-so-perfect is.

Gratitude for what we can do, instead of frustration over what we can’t.

So we’ll keep working in the yard. We’ll keep dreaming up projects - just maybe on a smaller scale. We’ll listen a little more closely to our bodies, and a little less to that inner critic that demands everything be just right, and maybe we'll have to swallow our pride and hire a helper for some of the projects. 

One yard of rocks at a time feels just about right.



Well, that is it for me today. I have to get some things done so I can kickstart the rest of the week. 

How about you? 
What's on your agenda for the week? 



Until Next Time

Debby


37 comments:

  1. We have to keep making our projects smaller and smaller too. The creek is so pretty! I think I would live there most of the time! I miss my childhood creek. And the beautiful flower bed that is actually a bed! I hope the trip is a really good one. Black sand is an amazing sight. Kind of like a Darth Vader beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like creeks! As a kid, I used to live across the street from a creek that trailed down to the Pacific ocean - about 2 miles. We'd catch tadpoles and frogs. Fun memories.
      I love that flowerbed. I've seen several like this. If I could find a free brass bed (it would have to be a twin) I'd do it but I'm starting to run out of space.

      Delete
  2. Great post today. Mr D and I are very guilty of letting our want to's outdo our 'can do's.' It looks like you had a great walk, I sure enjoyed the pictures. AND black sand, in all my years I don't remember a thing about that, it's really a pretty sight. Hope the boys have a great and safe adventure. Praying for the peace of Jerusalem every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary for your commitment to pray for Jerusalem and aligning yourself with God and His purpose. God bless you!

      Delete
  3. What's on my agenda for this week? Two days I get to have lunch with good friend (girlfriend time), an appt regarding my hearing aids, and pulling weeds.

    That black sand is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! A fun lunch with a friend is always fun. I hope your appointment for the hear aids go well. My husband wears them and lets just say, they're not like the hearing aids are grandfathers would wear. Pulling weeds? A never ending chore until the dry season comes. Have a blessed week.

      Delete
  4. I know the area you live in; we have nothing like that where I live. I live in a big city. Those photos are always breath taking to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big cities have their own beauty and charm, too. Glad you enjoyed the photos. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Baby Steps ... that's what our projects are nowadays ... The never ending weeds that are going to be out of hand after the next 3 days of rain. We just do what our bodies can do .. no money to hire anyone or family available so it is what it is !!
    Love the creek walk too. I did that back in The Valley too. Loved the peacefulness of that area and sometimes seeing Bob the Bobcat.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could get our sons but they're usually off fishing or backpacking. We did get Teen Challenge last year and that was fine but they're not experienced landscapers and accidentally week whacked our manzanita bush and some poppies.

      Delete
  6. We just do things more slowly now and don't work outside all day like we used to. :)
    Love the cow!!!
    A beautiful walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has a lot of energy but his back keeps him from doing heavy jobs. I help as I am able because its good exercise and I sleep really good after a strenuous day of work.

      Delete
  7. Wow - you are reading my mind with this post. We also have the ideas and realize our bodies are not what they used to be. And then, there is me with perfectionism and pride. I get worked up over color not being right too - and right now I'm trying to pick just the right color for our bedroom. :) So - thanks for the words I needed to hear.
    Hope the boys have fun and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciated your words today about letting things be, and having peace and contentment in what things are. I'm finding it harder to get out there weedeating the lawn, raking, gathering, and filling bags. About five years ago, it was easier, and it's also the allergy factor too that makes me get a landscaper out here. The spring allergies don't affect me, but the fall allergies with the molds and leaves, oh man.
    What fun your sons will have on their backpacking trip, and I just whispered a prayer for their safety. Love that close-up photo of Harriet at the farm. That's such a good photo! And the skies were beautiful on your evening walk. I'll have to check out the forecast for rain on my travels. Thank you for your prayers for safety on the roads. : )

    **it's so neat that you've been to Hearst Castle. Have never been, and now that I've seen Jess' pictures, I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been so long though, it might be time to revisit. My husband hasn't been there yet.
      Thanks for saying a prayer for their safety. They're no doubt experiencing some rain there on the coast but they're as prepared as they can be.
      Be safe on your trip. 🌹

      Delete
  9. Re hiring someone to do a job instead of doing it yourself-it allows the person to earn money for their living expenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Kathy. Like last year we went through Teen Challenge and so our money went to a good cause, helping troubled teens.

      Delete
  10. I do hope the boys have a safe time away ... I'm sure they will.

    I always enjoy your photographs ... that looks such a beautiful evening.

    May the week ahead be a good one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's raining here and on the coast it's raining as well. I hope they can still enjoy the beauty of the area. They knew it was you going to rain so they brought rain gear. It's the coast, so cooler temperatures and fog is the norm during the spring. Thanks for dropping by, Jan

      Delete
  11. I have a pretty easy week, this week. I agree that we need to accept that slowing down is necessary! I find that I don't mind (so much) turning over the heavy lifting and exhausting projects to younger experts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we really do need to do that, if we're to get the things we want done. I have some painting to do - I can still do that and I enjoy it. The picket fence needs some paint.

      Delete
  12. Because temperatures were lower today, Danny took the weed-eater to the yard. When he came back in, he remarked, "Am I getting older, or is the yard getting bigger?" Oh, yes, Debby, the things we used to take for granted that we could do with ease grow monumentally more difficult as we age. And Danny has most certainly been through the health wringer! We are choosing gratitude for what we can do at this juncture in our lives. Blessings always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. On my walks, I notice homes that were once nice are beginning to show signs of wear and that's because the owners are older now. It happens...

      Delete
  13. Such wonderful photos. We actually got outside to get a bit done in the yard today. Hope the sons have a wonderful trip.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for some nice pictures along with some exciting stories!

      Delete
  14. I so enjoy that pic of the black sand. Kudos to your boys doing the trek again. Hope they are safe and enjoy it. That white faced calf was cute and loved seeing all of your pics. One yard of rocks is a good start. Good choice to change your mind. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so easy to come up with more things you'd like to change or upkeep or just beautify. Love the farm photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness..the year has passed so quickly...Seems like just yesterday the guys were header out on their yearly hike. I pray for all good things and for protection for them as the enjoy nature. I have rock flower beds and it's the best thing we have done when it comes to flower beds. so easy to take care of. I just put pots of flowers out to add beauty and then in the Winter, we move them to the greenhouse. 6 yards is a lot of rocks so I'm glad that you both were feeling the need to rethink this. You will have to post some photos of all the beauty that the guys come across on their adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last few years we have been taking out our lawn areas and putting in rocks for weed control, less work for us and also as a fire prevention. We can't use wood chips anymore.

      Delete
  17. What lovely photos. Thank you so much. It's true, there's always some work to do at home and sometimes we get tired so quickly too. The other day I even managed to fall off a ladder. It was not fun at the time. But it got me out of going out shopping!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are definitely things I can no longer do. Or do as well as I once did. But I too am looking for contentment in all that I am able to do. God has really blessed me with good health...so I do not want to complain. I love that photo of Harriet:) Lots of pretty photos today! Happy Wednesday to you -

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debby, that reflection on the rocks is so relatable. It’s such a hard pill to swallow when our "grit" tells us to do it all, but our bodies remind us to be sensible. Going from six yards down to one sounds like a total win for your backs (and your sanity!). I love that "peace in the not-so-perfect" mindset the garage trim story is a perfect example of choosing contentment over stress. The Lost Coast trip sounds absolutely incredible for your sons. Those black sand beaches are so unique, though I’ll definitely be joining you in praying for their safety until they're back on Saturday. Good luck with the new computer setup hopefully, it really is as easy as they say these days. Sending you a big hug and hoping those mosquitoes stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Debby :) We have always done the work ourselves and because of that, it took us about 13 years to fully renovate our farmhouse. When you have a full time job and a life, it's hard to stay at it. But that was many years ago. This year, when we needed new flooring and the whole house painted, we hired a crew and it was the best thing we've ever done. They were finished in a matter of a few weeks and we were able to move back into our house and it looked brand new. I think there are some jobs that are worth paying for and then we also need jobs that we can do to keep us moving and active. I know what you mean about perfectionism. But I will keep changing something until it doesn't bug me anymore :) My husband, on the other hand, doesn't sweat the small stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Debby,
    I love cows!! Thank you for the photo of Harriet and the calf.
    I will be praying for your son's trip. I do love that they do this.
    xo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress