Friday, November 1, 2024

The Month of Cozy Joys

A free complimentary jar of flowers from the farm - aren't they pretty?


Happy November, everyone! With the crisp autumn air and vibrant leaves, I'm excited about this month's cozy joys!

My first stop this morning was to the butcher.  I had originally intended to order a turkey, but I was drawn to a good-looking chuck roast calling my name. So tomorrow, we'll have pot roast, potatoes, carrots, and some squash. With the chill of fall in the air and some rain, it feels like the right time to start preparing hearty, comforting meals.




I got home, put away the groceries, and then quickly headed to the farm market before the rain started.





Here we are—  

Laydee stayed in the car. They have three large yellow lab dogs who are big lovers but good watchdogs. Each time Laydee barks, the dogs respond with friendly barks; Laydee being a black lab, I guess they recognized their distant kin. They kept up this little routine the whole time I was there. 

I think they were sad to see us go!




What a delightful morning it was! Their property is just so lovely. It's not overly fancy, but I’d definitely call it charming!

They are truly living a simple life. 





I always enjoy taking a stroll around there! The vibrant orange roses are such a lovely sight, and the house adds a charming backdrop.




She has these cute displays everywhere!





This was an old metal bed frame -




I absolutely love this farm market! 

The wife's decorations add such a lovely touch, making every visit a delightful experience. 




I had the pleasure of meeting her husband for the first time! He mentioned that he just retired and was excited to help his wife on the farm. I asked if they were thinking about traveling, and he shared that his wife is a farmer's daughter. For her, life on the farm is really what suits her best, and he's totally happy with that!

Good people. 




It feels like everywhere I look,

 there's a splash of color.




Then there's Flash!  

He’s just like a big, playful puppy! 

He was happily rubbing his neck against the tree bark.





Those country johns really caught my attention!

 I could definitely use one of those washer pans.





The neat things on display are all hers and not for sale. 

She has an old cabinet filled with her homemade beeswax and soy candles. Plus, she just put out some beautifully cut candles that I can't wait to buy as Christmas gifts. It's amazing that she makes all these candles herself!

If no one is there - they are on the honor system. There's a jar, and you weigh your items and pay cash. 

He said they'll sometimes get a slip of paper with an IOU.

Good people attract good people. 





The big pumpkins they had sitting around didn’t actually grow on their farm; they came from the larger farm we visited. They have a huge pumpkin patch and they have many activities there. They also have a produce stand I go to as well. 







 

Warty pumpkins are characterized by their distinctive texture.

While it's common for pumpkins to develop bumps, selective breeding over the years has led to the prevalence of smooth-skinned varieties. This breeding practice has shifted public perception, making unblemished pumpkins the standard. Despite their irregular appearance, warty pumpkins are edible.





My little haul is just enough for the husband and I. 

Since it’s a small farm, she’s all out of apples and pears, but I was able to grab some yummy zucchini, two lovely pomegranates, the last of the figs, and even some homemade blueberry jam! Oh, and I can’t forget about that delicious chocolate swirl zucchini bread—perfect for our group fellowship on Wednesday! And I got a lovely jar of flowers for free too! 





It’s so tempting to cut this open right now—




Since I have a playful naughty cat, I always make sure to keep the flowers in a spot where she can't munch on them—like the garden window above my sink!





A few days ago, I ran to Trader Joe's for the almond Kringle they sell - 


Have you tried a Trader Joe's Kringle yet? 


I only buy them during this time of the year, even though they sell them year-round. 





There is a pumpkin one - as well. 











Proverbs 30:8-9 says, 

"Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." 


Context:
 
These verses come from the thoughts of Agur, who shares a heartfelt desire for a balanced life, steering clear of the extremes of wealth and poverty. His wish for "daily bread" beautifully highlights a longing for contentment and trust in God to provide for our needs much like what Jesus teaches in the Lord's Prayer about asking for our daily sustenance (Matthew 6:11). Agur wisely points out that being wealthy might make us feel self-sufficient and forgetful of God, while being poor could push us to make choices that don’t honor Him.

In the New Covenant, we’re encouraged to find our contentment in Christ, recognizing Him as our ultimate provider and sustainer (Philippians 4:11-13). The main message here is about trusting God for what we need and living in a way that reflects our new identity in Christ. It invites us to let go of the love of money and the fear of not having enough (Hebrews 13:5), focusing instead on a fulfilling relationship with Him.



38 comments:

  1. I love zinnias!
    That farm looks like such a great place to visit and support. Hard workers with such nice products. I think warty pumpkins are making a comeback. I always try to find a few to display!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the flowers really caught my eye! They accept donations of empty egg cartons and glass jars for candles and for the free flowers. That’s why I really like this place. Nothing fancy just re-using what they have.

      Delete
  2. It looks like a great trip to the market,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were the only ones there and it just fills me with a calm that is so needed these days.

      Delete
  3. I would love to visit a farm like that. So many pretty fall colors! Pumpkin Kringle sounds good. I might have to get one next time. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s just a small farm - husband and wife now that the kids have grown up and moved into the city. It’s not a commercial touristy farm - just off the road way out in Happy Valley.

      Delete
  4. I will have to make a trip to Trader Joe's. This place is wonderful, and they have such lovely displays! My favorites are the mural, the roses with the house behind them, and sunflowers and corn on the little table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a farm that I would absolutely LOVE. How neat to be thought of as a "Farmers Daughter"...Reminds me of my grandfathers place...and of my mother. She was the only girl in the family and was a Farmers Daughter. He was a big farmer and many of the things in your photos reminds me of him and his farm. Anything with age, such as the things used to farm, makes my heart happy. Beautiful flowers and pumpkins, even the cow under the tree would definitely make a trip to the market a great day!! Hope your weekend is relaxing and full of pure joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shug. Her husband said she was raised on a large dairy farm. I like old farming equipment too. Many line their properties with the old equipment on their properties, farms and ranches. Best I can do, I’d showcase my rusty push mower! lol
      Oh that cow - he was a sweety. More like a pet. (I hope)
      Happy first weekend in November - Hope you make the most of it.

      Delete
  6. Goodness, this farm is like breakfast for my hungry eyes! Love that Country John and warty pumpkins, too. Unfortunately, the nearest Trader Joe's more than an hour's drive away but a girl can dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly- that’s why I fell in love with it. It’s as peaceful as it is pretty.

      Delete
  7. I found this farm visit to be so enchanting, Debby. Thanks for the tour! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November blessings back to you too, Martha. Glad you enjoyed the visit.

      Delete
  8. This farm market sounds delightful. Right up my alley. ; ) I love all the pictures you shared. They are so welcoming and charming. And those orange roses! aahh, that little calf is so cute. Those warty pumpkins are so interesting looking. That's neat that she makes her own candles. I would definitely like one for Christmas. I'm glad you brought some goodies home with you. That chocolate zucchini bread looks moist and Yummy. And I have to try that Trader Joe's Almond Kringle! I'll mention it to the girls - they love Trader Joe's. What a pleasant day you had.

    Happy November Debby!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice even if it was misty and starting to rain which added to the ambiance . I plan to continue supporting this little produce stand. I love home businesses and all the creativity.

      Delete
  9. What a delightful visit with you here! I just love your life! I must go to Trader Joe’s soon! I am hungry for one of those Kringles!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy November! It sounds like you had a wonderfully cozy start to the month. The free jar of flowers from the farm is such a lovely touch—what a beautiful way to welcome in the season!

    Your decision to go with a chuck roast instead of a turkey seems perfect for a rainy autumn day. There’s nothing quite like the warmth of a hearty pot roast with veggies to embrace the chilly weather.

    I love the image of Laydee and the friendly yellow labs! It’s heartwarming to think of their playful barking exchange; it adds such a sweet and lively dynamic to your farm visits. Your description of the property as charming rather than fancy really captures the essence of rural beauty, and those vibrant orange roses must have been a stunning sight against the fall backdrop.

    Thanks for sharing your delightful morning! It truly encapsulates the cozy joys of November.

    I just shared a new post; you are invited to read. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum on your dinner. You pictures are all so beautiful. I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes the flowers are pretty, and oh how I miss my roast lunches none of my daughters do them. I will end with Flash is adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is. I wish I had some property to where I could rescue farm animals.

      Delete
  13. Charming is the perfect word. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what a great place to wonder about. Love all the displays.
    No Traders Joe anywhere around here that I know of.
    Love the picture of Flash!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Flash - I’m working toward him getting to recongnize me do he’ll let me kiss him. 💋

      Delete
  15. That is an absolutely beautiful farmer's market! I think that would be my dream...to own and operate a place just like that....wouldn't that be a wonderful way to spend your days? And to have Flash on the property - along with some sweet gaurd doggies:) Such a pretty life! I was at TJs the other day and saw the kringles - but I don't think I have ever had one and was not sure....now I need to go back and get one:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. the garden window is gorgeous, and love the flowers. I would enjoy that farm with all its beauty and bounty. I LOVE COWS! I used to go to church 15 minutes early so I could stand at the fence and love on the cows. the church had 30 acres they did not use and alloweed the farmer next door to use it for their cows. I have kissed cows I have kissed donkey's and horses and dogs and cats... dogs come first cows next donkeys almost tie with cows. your meal today is what my mother made for Sunday dinner every week we did not go home with someone after church. on a pastors salary way back when, we could only afford the cheaper chuck roast, not the pot roast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m also a kisser of animals and birds if they let me! I haven’t kissed a cow yet so that’s on my plan - to get where Flash will allow me to kiss him. I love animals, birds, frogs, lizards…even the fish in our pond will feed out of our hand because they recognize us. I figure they know who our Creator is.
      I bought a chuck roast because that’s what my mom always used. $5.99 a pound - almost 4 lbs. it was delicious!

      Delete
  17. Oh my goodness. I was raised on a farm in Illinois and I miss the farm fruit and flowers. My husband would love and pot roast. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, how nice to have grown up on a farm! I grew up in the city!
      My pot roast was delicious! It's that time of year

      Delete
  18. Like everyone else, I love this quaint small farm. so many delightful things to see and fresh goodies to eat. wish it was closer. I really like the repurposing of materials too.
    Hope your week goes well and I forgot to say that the cow is so cute. I would love to pet him.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always enjoyed repurposing items. Transforming something old or unused into something new and functional ignites my creativity. I used to do it a lot and didn't do it this year. When I think of it, there are a lot of things I used to do that I didn't do this year in 2024.

      Maybe it was just my version of a biblical sabbath year!

      Delete
  19. What a lovely place so visit. So much to see and enjoy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress