Wednesday, March 19, 2025

Tis the Hodgepodge

 From this Side of the Pond



1. St. Patrick's Day will be celebrated on Monday, March 17th. 

Did you mark the day in some way? Yes

Wear green? I wore a bit o’ the green.

Make a special meal? I made corned beef and cabbage, potatoes and carrots, and soda bread, and enjoyed Mint chocolate chip ice cream for a refreshing dessert. The corned beef was lean, tender, and delicious. There were not many leftovers, though. 

Watch or participate in a parade? Unfortunately, we don't have an Irish-American community in this area.

Did you mark the day in some way? 


 We watched a documentary/video called I am Patrick on YouTube. 

 2. Do you think luck plays a part in your life? Explain. 

 No. I don't believe in luck. 

As a Christian, I believe in and trust in God's sovereignty and divine plan for my life. Rather than relying on chance, (or luck) I embrace God's guidance and provision, knowing He orchestrates all things for the ultimate good of those who love Him. Whether seen as good or bad, each circumstance is under God's control and always serves His greater purpose.

Everything that occurs in this world is part of a divine plan, meticulously orchestrated by God Almighty - the Alpha and the Omega.


 3. Of the 15 green foods listed, which one is your favorite and how do you like it prepared? 

I love avocados and prepared as a guacamole. 
But I like everything on the list except for...



Any on the list that are a hard no for you? 

Kale is a hard no. I tried it, and I wanted to like it, but it makes me gag.

I only like the smaller skinner Asparagus - they are more tender. 

canned peas

Canned spinach

 In general do you like fruits and veggies? Yes.

As a kid did you eat them willingly or did you hide peas in your napkin hoping your momma wouldn't see? 

As a child, I really enjoyed fruit, but my vegetable preferences were limited to corn, green beans, and carrots. It wasn't until I got a little older that I started to appreciate salads and more varied vegetables. However, I never liked peas because my mom always cooked the canned ones, which I found unappetizing. I would sneakily push them off my plate and onto my lap when I could. Or chew them and then spit them out onto my napkin or make an excuse to leave the table to use the bathroom, so I could spit them out in the toilet. 

Nowadays, I've come to like peas, especially the small frozen ones or the ones with onions. NO more canned peas for me. 

 

4. What's something that makes you 'turn green'? (with envy or with illness... whichever way you want to run with it) 
 Ha ha - the taste and texture of kale 🤢 or canned peas and canned spinach. 


 5. Did you spend a lot of time outdoors as a child?



My dad loved spending time outdoors, whether it was hunting or fishing. He had a passion for his gear, like boats and old jeeps. So, it was natural for us to enjoy those activities together during our family vacations. I've been wild boar hunting and deer hunting with my dad. 






 Doing what? Besides the outdoor adventures with my Dad, I enjoyed exploring outside as a kid. The playground was right out my front door. In my coastal town, the old artichoke farms were still in the back of the valley. Way before my time, the area had once had 500 acres of artichoke farms. It was nicknamed Artichoke Gulch.

Back then in the 60's, our neighborhood of stay-at-home moms (in the summer months) would let us go - no supervision.  Oh, there were the mischievous things youngsters did back then - trespassing! The farmer would get so mad but never caught any of us. There was also a trout farm back there, too where we would all just hang out. We would follow the creek from the back of the valley to the ocean, about 2 miles - catching frogs, tadpoles, and garter snakes along the way. And, of course, there was the beach - climbing on the rocks and exploring the tide pools. 

Do you spend a lot of time outdoors now? Not like when I was a kid. I enjoy the comfort of my home and the AC in the summer! I get outside in the morning; it's time to come inside by noon. 

 Doing what? I enjoy early morning gardening and hiking in the mountains, taking walks. I still enjoy exploring. 

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 





I thought it was interesting that the origin of the saying, In like a lion, out like a lamb is not entirely clear, but some theories suggest a connection to biblical symbolism (Jesus as the lamb and the Lion of Judah).  


This was on an Easter Vacation - 1968

My parents owned the above duplex in Tahoe, near Heavenly Valley. While all my friends were having fun, enjoying warm temperatures, and getting a suntan at Clear Lake or the Russian River - I was in the snow. 


In the West Coast of the US: The reverse saying ("March comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lion") may be more applicable where heavier snowfalls can occur at the end of March and into April due to the movement of the polar jet stream. That's why ski resorts are open during Easter and Spring break and is considered one of the best times to ski. 

Mt Shasta Ski Park - Closes April 13
North Star - April 13
Heavenly Valley - April 20. 



So sorry, Northern California, we could still be in this till April. 

That's it for this Hodgepodge. Lord willing I will see you next week. 

Debby

20 comments:

  1. Yeah, tinned peas can be well, gross. I like the organic frozen peas. The pups liked them too. Happy New Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will gladly eat most vegetables, but I'm not a fan of canned peas. I can handle a few if they're part of a casserole or stew but as a side dish-NO THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Friend, my husband would appreciate your answer to #2.
    I enjoyed your random.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never cared for any vegetable when it came from a can, and I won't even try kale. Just the thought of it makes me gag. I did love the photo of your family car in the snow, Debby. Wow! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. daddy loved to go to the FISH CAMP, my brother loved it too, my mother and I both hated it and had to go because if we did not go, there would be no one to do the WOMAN stuff for the men.. we spent our days on a blanket reading books, daddy and david in a small rented boat fishing. or swimming in the black dark scary water of the altamaha river in GA... it was full of snakes, we could see them swimming. no no and no... a few days there was the only vacation daddy ever took us on, we wanted the beach, nope he hated the beach. my brother was outside from dawn to dusk, I was in my room reading books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm right there with you on canned peas and Kale. UGH...
    When I saw the picture of Linda Mar beach I was so happy to see it.
    Yes we have been gone 18 years from those old stomping grounds.
    We lived back in that valley that used to be artichoke fields., actually up on the hill beside them. Dave and I loved to walk in the county park that took the farm place.
    always enjoyed Taco Bell on that beach.
    Wow, talk about a walk down memory lane. We lived there for 41 years.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right there with you on #2!
    Ooooh gag(!) on those canned peas. I suppose everyone's mother served them at one time or another (*sigh*). I love almost all green veggies, but honestly, I'm afraid to even try kale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely had a great celebration on St. Patrick's Day. Way to go! Lovely answer for #2. I understand your no's of the things you don't like. I do happen to like spinach on a sandwich or I saute it with scrabbled eggs. However, I don't like it alone in a salad. I totally agree with your answer for #4. That's great what you did with your dad as a kid. I think that back in the day, being a kid and playing outside was the best. Sounds and looks like an awesome vacation in 1968.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a child, my great-grandmother said she would give me a certain amount of change for each pea I ate...maybe a penny for each pea. I forced myself to eat quite a few, but then vomited them up. she wouldn't give me the money! I do not believe in luck either! It would be God's blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debby, lots of good stuff to read here and I enjoyed my time. How interesting about that saying as Jesus, the Lamb and the Lion of Judah. Maybe I'll use that for a little conversation starter. Growing up in the 60's was fun. That You-tube sounds interesting. Love the photos you shared. Happy Spring to you just a few hours early...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was always outside as a kid. Riding my bike or playing in the woods near my house. I liked to walk even back then.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suppose my favourite green food is cabbage. It can be used in so many meals.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you on #2 answer.
    But a hard no for me is avocado--I'm allergic.
    I'm interested in that movie about St. Patrick. I would like to watch it. Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh I must be a weird-o. I love kale - I am addicted to it. With some lemon and olive oil, feta cheese, cut up real small. IT is out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the sound of your corned beef meal, especially the mint chocolate chip ice cream!
    I am not a fan of kale either. It really isn't nice at all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought I made a comment on this post but then I remembered that I read it while in the doctor's office and my iphone will not let me comment on some blogs..not sure why. That was sure a pile of snow!! I like almost all green foods with the exception of ONIONS. Kale is my favorite, which I know many people do not like. Happy First day of Spring. Our temps are a bit cool but we have sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love most fruits and veggies. I did wear green to work for St Patty's Day. Our first day of Spring we had rain, freeing rain and now snow. Mother Nature does not like us. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your corned beef and cabbage and potatoes sounds delicious for St. Patrick's Day, and mint chocolate chip ice cream to top it off! I've never seen that movie before. I'll have to check it out. I didn't know you went deer hunting with your dad growing up. I also went hunting with my dad when I was a young girl That's a cool picture of your Easter vacation in 1968. I don't believe in luck either. All the goodness that comes my way are blessings from God. I enjoyed your answers, and it's good to know a little bit more about you.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my....all that snow at Easter!! My heart calls for lilies, budding trees and all the vibes of spring for Easter:) that is a lot of snow!! Enjoyed your hodge podge answers...and totally agree with you about kale. Hard pass.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress