Tuesday, June 3, 2025

Clem and Canary / Liberty and Guardian

Folks gathered to witness the pair make their way to the surf, with Clem briefly pausing to wait for Canary to catch up. Observers noted the seals appeared to share a moment of interaction before diving into the waves together.



Liberty and Guardian

Source: FORE (Friends of Redding Eagles) 

As nesting season comes to a close, the community bids a heartfelt farewell to our cherished Redding Eagles, Liberty and Guardian. With rising temperatures, they will embark on a journey to their cooler summer sanctuary in the mountains.


Did you know that for every 1,000 feet of elevation, the temperature drops 3-5 degrees?


This year, Liberty faced an unexpected challenge as she didn’t lay eggs for the first time. A severe storm and strong winds damaged her beloved nest, a home she had cherished for decades. Yet, she and her mate, Guardian, demonstrated resilience by building a new nest, one that the FORE crew hoped they would embrace. While they did adapt, experts believe the trauma of losing her home had an impact, resulting in no eggs this season. However, we were fortunate to witness their enduring bond, reminding us that love can endure even in the face of adversity.

They will, Lord willing, return in the Fall.




I didn't sleep as well as I usually do since my body was sore and I just couldn't get comfy! This morning, I checked for bruises, and fortunately, I had none. My knee that got fixed is a bit scuffed, but it’s all good. Today, I kept moving around because I know that staying active helps alleviate stiffness. I ran some errands, but I skipped the painting, and the day flew by fast. 

We picked up the Beast from the mechanic—it needed a new starter, and we ended up paying $515, but at least it wasn't worse. Now we need to start saving up for tires before the rainy season hits.


I hope you have a wonderful evening and a restful night. 

Debby


14 comments:

  1. Seems like it's always something when you have a car. I'm so glad you continue to do well!! The seals are adorable; I hope they stay together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say owning a car is the second most expensive item, behind owning a home.

      Delete
  2. What lessons these two (pair) might impart ... if only we mortals paid attention. I never thought elephant seals were particularly adorable, but this image of Clem and Canary has touched my heart. Deeply.
    I hope you continue to feel more like yourself today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. car repairs kept me awake this morning at 1 am when the hamster wheel in my head went round and round. I see oil on the garage floor. NOOO how will I do this? the seals are too sweet for words. Poor Eagles, losing their home.. hope they come back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you hugs.
    Our son Atticus is an auto mechanic, oh my I feel blessed he does not live to far away to give us a hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I had a mechanic in the family.
      My husband used to work on the cars for us, but the arthritis in his hand makes it difficult.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Debby, for sharing this uplifting news about the seals and the eagles. Such devotion to one another, on the eagles' part, that we humans can certainly learn a powerful lesson. Hope you continue to heal. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad there were no serious after effects from your fall. Praying for a complete recovery. Love the updates on the seals and eagles. Great lessons to be learned.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Car issues happen to anyone who owns a car, my sister Sandy has had a lot of issues with her car.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress