Monday, oh Monday, you’re here again,
A new beginning, not the end.
Embrace the day, seize your fate,
It’s a brand-new week; don’t hesitate.
With every dawn, there’s a chance to shine,
To make a difference, to redefine.
Monday, oh Monday, let’s not delay,
It’s time to embrace the day.
By Dan Higgins
5 AM
This Monday morning, I was excited for the week ahead. I took my coffee out to the patio, where my husband and I usually kick off the day. Being outside always gives me a boost, and by the time I finish my second cup of coffee, I think I can do anything!
Oh, THANK YOU, JESUS, for a NEW Day!
I decided to paint the front of the house, paying special attention to the wood trim. It’s been a year since I last painted anything, and getting everything out—like the drop cloths, tape, paint can, roller, and brushes—felt like a hassle. I just wanted to get to the painting part. I finished taping and started cutting in, but I couldn’t reach too high since my husband won’t let me use a ladder.
Oh man, the irony… I was sitting on a stool that was only about 4-5 inches off the uneven rocky ground when I lost my balance and fell backward right into a wheelbarrow. ๐คฃ
THUD...Ouch!
No Blood! After about 20 minutes of ice, there was no bump, and it doesn't even hurt. My dad always used to say I had a hard head, and maybe he was onto something! It felt like proof of the toughness he always encouraged in me.
The husband will finish what I didn't. I was almost done! This isn't the end of our work, though! I’m truly grateful that we aren’t painting the entire exterior of the house; that would be an immense undertaking, far beyond what was in my head.
Time for lunch, and I had my favorite sandwich and a glass of mandarin orange bubble water...
As the afternoon has worn on, my body is just beginning to feel as if it had been steamrolled by a Mack truck.
It's pretty tough to admit when we fall, and it's the type of blog fodder we'd prefer to keep secret. Even in our human frailty, we can rely on God's strength and grace to carry us through. We are not defined by our limitations but by the life of Christ within us. I'll continue to paint and work around the house until I can no longer do so. I'll do my best to be careful, but it's those random little mess-ups that always catch us off guard.




Oh, so sorry you fell, and glad it wasn't too bad of a fall. Could have been worse. It's great that you are out there painting the trim on your house. Your lunch looks delicious to me, but I'm wondering what the white balls are....cheese maybe? I especially like the plate you served it on. Your flower photos are pretty. While you were having your coffee outside on your patio at 5 am, I was also outside watering my plants around 6am. I get out there before the squirrels do hehehe. A delightful poem you shared.
ReplyDeleteHave a good first week of June, Debby.
~Sheri
Marinated mozzarella balls
DeleteOh you do need to be careful. When you are young you tend to repair - when you are older it is harder - says the gal whose right shoulder is taped up as we speak.
ReplyDeleteOh no, what happened?
DeleteBut I'm SO glad you were not seriously hurt and did not break anything. Is that mozzarella balls beside the sandwich? yum!
ReplyDeleteYes, marinated mozzarella balls.
DeleteOMG so glad you are alright. I fell off a chair a few years ago putting up my Christmas garland above my door and almost hit my head on our brick fireplace. Accidents happen so quickly. Yes God caries us through it all. Janice
ReplyDeleteOh boy, now that would have been a real nasty fall
DeleteYour sandwich looks like the sandwich I made us the other day. I bought TN tomatoes at a local produce stand and they were delicious! I have resorted to easy peasy meals until the garden is completely planted.
ReplyDeleteIt was a fantastic sandwich.
DeleteBeen there done this and its always the next day before we feel a fall, when Bob fell night before last, he said he was not hurt, but yesterday morning we found he had pulled a muscle in his knee.. glad the bump went away and that you only sore not harmed. Keep on keeping on, and I will too
ReplyDeleteI'm very sore this morning and didn't sleep as well last night because I couldn't get comfortable due to my body aching—silly "old" me.
DeleteI was just talking about random spills the other day. One minute I'm vertical, the next? Not! I'm so glad you didn't fracture something!
ReplyDeleteOur front door and siding could sure use a new coat of paint, but neither of us is able ... more like, willing. My hat's off to y'all!
PS - Is that baby mozzarella beside your sandwich? My favorite!
Yes, marinated mozzarella balls. Yum
DeleteOh no, glad you were okay and didn't hurt yourself too badly.
ReplyDeleteI am too! I'm just sore all over today!
DeleteDefinitely, at my age its willing my body to keep on , keeping on. Falls will be the bane of my existence. Please be careful and I'm glad your Head is Hard..haha..
ReplyDeleteYumm on that sandwich. It looks really good.
Beautiful flowers and a great poem too.
Sue
Falls are not good.
DeleteYikes! They don't call things 'accidents' for nothing.
ReplyDeleteThat is true!
DeleteOuch!!! So glad there wasn't any blood and the ice seemed to help, Debby. Yes, it's the little mishaps that we don't expect to happen that often set us back on our heels, so to speak. I did enjoy the poem you shared here, too, and the lovely photos. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteMy head doesn't even hurt today - I am thankful
DeleteI like what you shared from Dan Higgens. So sorry to hear that you fell backwards but glad the wheelbarrel caught you. Your lunch looks yummy. So sorry to hear that you started hurting. Take care.
ReplyDeleteSorry you fell. It's a good thing you listened and weren't on a ladder!!!
ReplyDeleteHaving a fall is never nice, glad there was no blood but not surprised your body was sore afterwards
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you fell. Lovely lunch and the flowers are gorgeous. You really do live in a very lovely place.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Ouch on your fall. Hopefully all is feeling better now. I managed to fall on my camping trip, was walking around the table and caught a small bit of stump sticking out. I had a plate with pancakes in my hand, grabbed a shade pole and did a kind of fall and roll onto my back. No injuries and my plate landed food side up and my pancakes were fine! lol.
ReplyDelete