Saturday, July 26, 2025

Dry Lightning



As the sun dipped below the horizon on Thursday evening, we were treated to an electrifying display—a dry lightning storm rolled through, a spectacle all too familiar here in the West. These summer storms are both awe-inspiring and a source of worry, especially with our rugged, mountainous landscape. Each flash of lightning brought with it an awareness of the potential danger lurking in the dry brush.

They’ve recorded over 5,000 lightning strikes! So far, thankfully, no major fires have been reported. However, it often takes a few days for a fire to reveal itself. 





I sent Navy some of my photos, and he’s on the other side of town—about six miles away—he shot back some pictures of his neighborhood. The skies served as a breathtaking backdrop. 

As usual, thunder sends Laydee into a panic. Since she was just a puppy, she’s never been able to handle the booming sounds of a storm. Other dogs I have had could handle it much better.  Even with her calming doggy meds, she still shakes with anxiety. She trembled so violently that by midnight, I felt a wave of motion sickness creeping in. With her curled up at the foot of our bed, I finally had to abandon ship and move to the sofa. 

It was a long night for both of us!


__________________



 
Char had been on the hunt for a new job since quitting her job at Wal-Mart. With a little help from a county agency that partners with those with developmental disabilities, she landed a part-time job at a daycare facility that caters to adults with more severe disabilities than her own. 

Each day, as caretakers and parents drop off their cherished ones, they're greeted with a day filled with adventure and activity. They receive breakfast and lunch, and often have a packed day with field trips, art projects, and various activities. 

Char takes on the puréeing of meals for some of the participants. With each puree she creates, her confidence blossoms, and she takes immense pride in honing this new skill.  Working three days a week, she goes in one day a week to the Cal Veterans home, where she plays pool with the Veterans. 




 
Char unloaded  gifted her dad an elliptical machine that she had purchased but barely used. Unfortunately, it ended up as a pricey coat rack in her living room! So, he took it apart and brought it home with him. I really didn't want it sitting around in the house, gathering dust and clutter. Plus, we're short on space, so to make it work, he's clearing out a spot in the garage, planning to use it when the cooler, rainy months roll around. He doesn't need to use it now. It's a bit frustrating, though—I'm trying to declutter, and he's bringing more stuff in!

__________________


It looks like we’re gearing up for a weekend at home! With no fixed plans, the possibilities are wide open—who knows what adventures might come our way?




A weekend challenge - 

Tell one person you don’t know that “Jesus loves them."
Don’t force it—
let it come from a place of peace. 



Make it your best weekend ever! 

Debby 

27 comments:

  1. That sky!!!! It looks as though the sky is on fire and the photos are so stunning. so full of beauty. Hopefully the machine will find it's place in the garage and will no longer be a coat rack...When the weather cools I'm sure it will get used. This is great news for Char to get a part time job at this facility. I bet she does a great job at what she's doing and it is all about enjoying what she does. Happy for her. Thank you Debby for sharing these outstanding pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the awesome colors in those sky shots reminded me of the endless choices God has in His painting pallet. Wow!!! I'm so glad that the lightning didn't spark fires this time around. That's the last thing you need. Good for Char, and I'll bet the stationary bike will get some use down the road. Blessings, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband will use it. I’ve never cared for the elliptical because it makes my lower back click and that hurts!

      Delete
    2. That's a shame, Debby., and I'm so sorry that does that to you!

      Delete
  3. Debby, we had thunder up here yesterday, and it lasted for a while. Power went out for about three hours, but thankfully, it was later in the evening anyway. Your son's photos are interesting. I've had thunder in areas before, but this one was LOUD and so different. The people in town saw it best, as the trees are not covering up the skies like they are here. Char's job sounds special working with people with disabilities. I love the verse you shared, and it is a very special reminder. Yes, I wondered about the pets with the thunder, cause it was so loud, and it was probably unsettling for most.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get the rain with it? All we got was muggy humidity and some wind. Freaky storm.
      The thunder doesn’t bother my cat.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we got the rain along with the thunder! I was so pleased about that.

      Delete
  4. Those photos are incredible! There is such beauty in storms sometimes.
    Good news on Char! I hope she continues to gain confidence and enjoys this job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that sky!!! I am glad Char is working again, and I fully understand about Walmart, sigh. Wishing you a beautiful evening, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she doesn’t work she sits at her place and watches tv and plays on her phone all day. So working gets her out of the house and gives her some extra spending money.

      Delete
  6. Wow that sky is awesome.
    My dog Sam didn't mind the thunder but was terrified of the lightning!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What amazing sky images! All the same, I know you'd just as soon trade the technicolor for Laydee's peace of mind ... and sleep!
    Thanks for this update on Char; her part-time job sounds really rewarding. Years ago I worked at a State School. In spite of working for the Education director, I was still blessed to rub shoulders with some of the residents. What joy-full souls!

    PS - I had one of those 'coat rack' machines, too. What a happy day when we were able to pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s why I never wanted one. I wonder if it will turn into a coat rack in the garage? Stay tuned!

      Delete
  8. Those are amazing photos - the images are so wonderful. You have so many beautiful things there . Congrats to Char.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful job for Char! The daycare sounds excellent! Your photos are amazing! I have never seen anything like this sky. Worthy of being in National Geographic magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found out from my comments that the Thunderdome machine is a milling machine to remove old asphalt from roads when they are re-doing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those photos are both lovely and scary. We have heat lightning here sometimes as we call it...when there is just lightning and no thunder or rain. Not sure what causes it though. Have seen it once this Summer thus far. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Laydee! Some dogs react more than others.
    Those skies are magnificent. I hope there are no hidden fires - very worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor puppy and you trying to keep her calm. Have you ever tried a thunder shirt on her? I heard it helps some dogs.
    Good news on Char's new job. It sounds like it will be more fufilling for her than Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forgot to add, What colorful pictures on the sky. Crazy weather and fires can be scary but do produce the most beautiful sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning photos, we don't get dry lightning much here and many people and animals are afraid of thunder my grandmother was scared of it her whole life. That's great that Char has found a job, I hope she likes it, also many of us have bought expensive clothing racks like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, that sky is amazing! That's a lot of strikes. Sorry about the long night. I'm happy to hear that the new job is working out for Char. The elliptical should be some great exercise. Hope you enjoyed your weekedn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress