Friday, November 28, 2025

Seasonal Reminders



"Oh, Black Friday, your reputation is clouded by frenzied crowds - 

marred by the stench of hypocrisy."



 

I can honestly say I have never participated in the shopping frenzy on that day, because I spent those long, backbreaking Fridays working at Macy's, which completely extinguished any lingering desire to chase a few measly discounts.


 The behavior of so many shoppers was particularly disgusting, and I'm happy it cured me of ever wanting to partake in such a practice. The sense of entitlement, rudeness, and impatience often made what could have been a nice occasion feel like a bizarre spectacle of the human condition. 


I'll never forget my first Black Friday at Macy's. The anticipation in the air was palpable, my heart racing as I felt the rush of energy as we prepared for the biggest shopping day of the year. My manager looked at me and said, 

 "It's Greed in Action."







As we approach the season of Peace, let's REMEMBER who we are celebrating! 

The birth of the Prince of Peace - not the Prince of chaos and greed. That's the other guy!  

It's perfectly fine if Christians want to engage in Black Friday shopping, which can be a fun family activity, but it's important to be mindful, as it can be a slippery slope for many. It’s crucial to do so with wisdom and discernment, ensuring that our choices reflect our Christian values during this special time. We can make choices that reflect our beliefs, keeping the experience meaningful rather than just transactional, and it stands as a powerful testament to young believers facing their own struggles.







It's easy to get caught up in the greed and consumerism in this world.  It seems we are a gluttonous culture - everything to extreme excess, from overeating to overspending on items that we don't really need and food we don't really need to eat. 

We really do need  Jesus, don't we? 

We still can't help ourselves.


So, let the season of peace embrace every part of you, always remembering who you belong to. 




Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing, and perfect will. 
Romans 12; 2 


Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.  
Colossians 3; 2 


So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 
Galatians 5:16-17

 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 6:33

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25 

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
2 Corinthians 5:17 

But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.
Philippians 3;20



38 comments:

  1. Yes! It seems that Santa and Black Friday are almost replacing Christmas to some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even my son said yesterday he is through with the Christmas consumerism. He wants a more Christ filled Christmas. 🤶 Wow what a concept!

      Delete
  2. Yes, the real reason for Christmas is certainly overshadowed. My husband used to work in retail and said the same as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our local news, they mentioned about putting extra officers out - my goodness common civility is non existent anymore. So sad and missing out on so much goodness.

      Delete
  3. No Black Friday shopping here. Yes this has even crept into our Canadian stores. But I must say that the frenzy isn't quite as bad here as the sale usually lasts a week.
    Christmas is spent with family and you know that I make most, if not all the gifts for our sons and my husband.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a family we decided a couple of years back not to exchange gifts - of course we're the Mama and Papa so we give each of them a nice gift of something they need. I keep my listening ears on, throughout the year and it always surprises them. We all like to keep it simple - probably because of our past. Its more comfortable and we wouldn't want it any other way! Christmas is so special. 🎄

      Delete
  4. I've never shopped on Black Friday. Presents have never been a big part of Christmas for me. The gift Jesus offers is so much better than anything here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never participated in Black Friday shopping. I can barely stand to go shopping on a quiet peaceful day, so I know I'd be a mental case if I tried to navigate those crowds. I spent today cleaning up, putting away Thanksgiving decor and things from yesterday's dinner/family gathering. And trying to rest in between. I need this weekend just to regroup and let my body heal from this past week's frenzied cooking and cleaning activities. Christmas is coming, but Jesus is here now, telling me to take it easy and not stress myself over the commercialization of His divine nativity. Thank you for your words and verses. Exactly what I believe. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm the same way. My shopping is done and I do that early so I can enjoy the month of December and can concentrate on Jesus. Tomorrow I'll be hitting "The Book" to prepare for Wednesday's bible study and we will start setting out my collection of nativities. They're very special to me, so it's like seeing old friends again.
      Take care, Pamela. Jesus is the Reason for the Season .

      Delete
  6. No Black Friday shopping here ...
    Looking forward to spending time with family at Christmas.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never done a Black Friday sale and never will. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all the Scripture verses you posted. They are spot on.
    We are not Black Friday shoppers. We prefer to Opt Outside (although this year we didn't go out much as it was too cold-- we just stopped by the library and a shop to get information about our fireplace.
    Happy Thanksgiving and a Blessed Advent to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Willow! We usually do that. Today we had our big family Thanksgiving and it was wonderful!

      Delete
  9. What a brilliant post. The kind of post which would be great in the new Blog I have in mind. Thank you, Debby. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never gone sales shopping - all those crowds shoving and snatching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sales are interesting - a few weeks before, they raise the prices then lower them for the sale. Unless you see it everyday like when you're working retail, most people do not catch it. The only sales that are true, are the permanent mark downs on clearance.

      Delete
  11. Ah yes....I worked in retail as well...and greed is the real thought, sad to say. My shopping is done, thank you Amazon. LOL--wishing you a beautiful day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, working in retail will always change your perspective about shopping. My shopping is done as well. 😁

      Delete
  12. I didn't shop and don't on Black Friday. But some of my friends do and they do have fun.
    The blackest Friday was the day Jesus died. So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each his own. I read that more people ( in the millions) observe, practice etc Black Friday than Good Friday. Sad.

      Delete
  13. I've never known anyone who worked retail before ... brave lady! All the same, it never occurred to me to be 'ugly' to others while shopping. Everyone's just trying to do the best they can with what they have, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really??? It was one of the part time jobs I held, as I was sole supporter of my little guys. I worked in the children’s department- in boys! God is so good! I was able to purchase their clothing at 40% and when added to a sale price the savings was even more affordable.
      Black Fridays and the Day After Christmas were unreal and the Day After was stressful and customers seemed to be angry for some reason and would take it out on us. Other than those two days, I enjoyed the few years I worked at Macy’s. Fun job.

      Delete
  14. Oh, I like this, Debby. I've never understood the concept of Black Friday. It's all just too much for me. I love the vintage "pie and leftover turkey" picture. Wow, you had to deal with all those shoppers on Black Friday when you worked at Macy's! That must have been quite an experience. You were on the other end; not the shopper, but the retail worker. Entitlement is a good word.....I see that so much in this day and age. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. Wishing you wonderful December days.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in all, I enjoyed working at Macys except for black Friday and the day after Christmas. I always dreaded it.
      Now we're on to December and I'm so excited.

      Delete
  15. Years ago, I participated in one Black Friday adventure because I knew exactly what I wanted to get for my then teenage children and because I was on a tight budget, the sale was compelling. I was successful, but vowed I'd never do it again. We actually had our Thanksgiving celebration on Friday because that was the time our family who were in town could get together. Much better than shopping! Thanks for the wonderful scriptures you included here, too, Debby. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our family Thanksgiving yesterday as well. It was so much fun.

      Delete
  16. I worked for Sears for 18 years, and have never shopped black Friday unless you count the Chromebook I ordered from Amazon day before yesterday, on early black Friday. Sears was famous for the things on sale not really a sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind shopping from the comfort of my home. Much more sane. You're right about the sales. Unless it's on clearance, the "sales" are not really sales. I thought everybody pretty much knew that. I detest how the retailers manipulate the public.

      Delete
  17. I completely agree with your assessment of Black Friday shopping! We have never waited in line, got up early, or any of those crazy things, ever. It seems all the season is about is greed and materialism, as you shared, rather than celebrating Jesus. How did it get to that point? So awful. But, thankful for a blessed Thanksgiving season, and our Christmas decor will focus on Jesus, our Prince of Peace who has been so very good to us! Blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in a world that is very much different than what we grew up in. All I can say is, Jesus come soon!

      Delete
  18. A perfect and necessary post for the start of the holiday season. You are so right that we live in a culture prone to gluttony and extreme excess, whether it’s food or shopping. We still can't help ourselves! Thank you for the gentle but firm reminder to seek first the kingdom and walk by the Spirit. Let the season of peace embrace you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never was one for the craziness of Black Friday! That is usually my day to decorate for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never been to a Macy's during a sale. I don't even know if we have a Macy's anymore. Back in the day, I worked at a craft store during Black Friday and it was really fun. We all brought in foods, we had fun with the sales ... but it's crafts. Just a fun vibe all around. No nutters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress