Saturday, November 29, 2025

We went for the turkey and now have a daughter!


Yesterday, our family gathered for a wonderful Thanksgiving at my son's home, and it truly was a delightful celebration! My amazing daughter-in-law, Sara, and her sister, Cassie, put in so much effort to make everything perfect. Sara's perfectly brined turkey was a hit, and the feast was abundant - with way more food than I could even try!

They generously sent us home with plenty of delicious leftovers plus desserts! Which we will enjoy tonight for dinner. 






I thoroughly enjoyed everything, so I happily invited Sara to prepare our Thanksgiving meal each year if she’d like, and she agreed! 

I’m excited to take on Christmas in return! 

It was especially awesome that I wasn't expected to do anything - 

Being the matriarch of the family has its rewards. 





I’ve always wanted to host my own Thanksgiving, but my mom preferred to keep the tradition at her house for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, with absolutely no consideration for my family and me.  All I wanted was a little compromise - where I could begin to make my own traditions with my boys. 


I knew there would be one day, I would pass the torch - and happily take that step back - when my daughter-in-law was ready, so they could shine and celebrate their beautiful traditions as a family.







What a lively scene it was, with my sons chatting so loudly, each trying to outdo the other! Their banter never fails to bring me joy - my only regret is that Michael wasn't there as well.  Navy has this hilarious routine about baseball players at the plate that always leaves me in stitches. And don’t get me started on his take on the funny end zone dances in football - it’s pure comedy gold! He has one for basketball, too. 

The thing is, Navy only does this for family. 





And then reality shows up...

Recently, Cassie, Sara's sister, has been navigating the challenging journey of losing her high school sweetheart of 20 years, a couple of months ago. Her grief is still fresh, but she is showing incredible strength. There were moments when the weight of her emotions became overwhelming. 

It did not put a damper on the evening; instead, it fostered a closeness and connection. My husband warmly hugged her and welcomed her, saying she was now part of our family. 


We went for the turkey and now have a daughter! 💕





It was so nice to see Laydee having a good time! She looked adorable in her leather boots, which helped her navigate the wooden floors with ease. Seeing the Grandcat Harry is always nice, although we never did catch a glimpse of Ed. He prefers the peacefulness away from the noise, so it's understandable he chose to hide. 



The thankfulness that blossomed in November shouldn’t go away with the leftover turkey. As the month ends and Advent begins, we enter a time of waiting - not just any waiting, but hopeful waiting. The world looked forward to the Messiah, and now we look forward to His presence in our daily lives: in our homes, our families, our joys, and our struggles.



See you in December! 

Debby

 

43 comments:

  1. What a wonderful Thanksgiving you had. Being with family is so precious...and adding into the fold is even more rewarding. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. The time of hopeful waiting . . . Advent is a time of hushed expectation and quiet joy, isn't it? How wonderful that you've passed the torch to the next generation regarding Thanksgiving and that Cassie feels welcomed by your family as she truly needs that in light of her loss. I don't need to tell you how much you are blessed because you already know that, Debby. Have a peaceful Sabbath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day, in every way! I love how you welcomed Cassie, I'm sure she felt very loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe she was. She is living with my son and her sister and is going back to school.Her mom and rest of the family are toxic and she's had to get away from them.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful day you had!! Love and good food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have passed the baton - well done. There's satisfaction in doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's hard for some folk to do that, so I'm pleased, in that way I am not walking in my mom's path. Life is too short. Let's encourage our younger generation! They need that from us.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your JOY coming through this post and feel like I was at TG dinner with you and your family. now you have another daughter, a blessing for her and for all of you.
    great idea to pass that torch.. thanks for your comment on my red breakfast and for sharing your chuckles. I always like to hear I am not the only one... I am only happy when things are neat and straight and now I am living with not so neat and not so straight and find joy by eating by two USB lamps. Myra calls them my traveling lamps

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful Thanksgiving you had. Time with the family is a priceless treasure to be cherished for ever.
    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hearing about Navy’s hilarious sports routine, those little family-only performances are the best treasures. And congratulations on successfully passing the torch and seeing your boys thrive in their own home. That is a wonderful legacy to build. Your reflection on hopeful waiting as Advent begins is the perfect way to end the month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Family and Holiday celebrations are very hard for those who are grieving. The thoughts of how my brother came to my home last year for Thanksgiving, kept running across my mind. Prayers for Cassie. This was pretty awesome that you all welcomed her and gave her the hugs she needed. Looks like a wonderful spread of goodness set before you all. Glad this turned out to be a beautiful celebration Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, Shug. It's been over 20 years since my son passed and we all notice that empty chair at the table.
      Anytime we all get together, it's a given, there will be a lot of laughs. Fun times. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Looks like a fantastic Thanksgiving! Your Navy reminds me of my son, Chris, who can make me laugh like no one else! What a blessing you and your family are to Cassie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debby, it's nice when the kids carry on with the traditions and make the holiday dinners in their own way. It surprises me how much of our flares they use when preparing their own feast. They learned it all growing up, and now shine with their little bits and traditions. Your dinner sounds wonderful, and I love all the sides like the asparagus and olives. Those end zone dances in football, I'd love to see that acted out by your son. That's nice that Sara will carry on the tradition of Thanksgiving dinner in the years ahead. And I loved your words about the Advent season.

    Wishing you a merry and bright December, Debby.

    ~Sheri

    **now, I'm wondering if that white turkey is white chocolate or butter? ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara and Cassie did a great job and I totally appreciated their work. The white turkey is butter. Yum.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving with family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Thanksgiving sounds so wonderful. I'm so glad you have a "new Daughter" to love on. God sure knows what we need.
    I love the way you wrote this post and your loving heart shines through.
    I felt the way you said about embracing the grieving hearts. WE had my "daughter" Karen at Steve's home this year. This is the first holiday without her mom. She was so happy to have a family place to go and just be loved on.
    I love the traditions and did miss some of it at my house but it was time to pass the baton too. Its fun when the family traditions can be shared. I only wish our other son and family could join us too. There is always a hole there.
    Hugs for the Christmas season of Hopeful Waiting.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is just too small anymore so its best. I never thought I would give up Thanksgiving but after my shoulder surgery a few years ago, Sara cooked and wow - I was hooked!
      Take care, Sue

      Delete
  14. Your food photography looks like something out of a high-end magazine, Debby.
    I'm so glad your time together with family -- old AND new -- was filled with love and laughter. That you included Laydee, too! Congratulations on your new daughter-in-love; I'm sure she felt the love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new "daughter" is very blessed to be welcomed into your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful post my dear Debby, I loved what your husband said to Cassie.
    Happy Advent, my husband and I are doing our reading together this season. I am so blessed and thankful.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your recounting of Thanksgiving. Cassie has found a true family.
    We had a couple of extras at our Thanksgiving table. One woman just fit in so well with our family and we told her she is always always welcome in our home. Maybe I've found another daughter!
    Looking now to Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful Thanksgiving! Your photos looked so good - and the blueberries and raspberries looked so good too. Love the Turkey butter too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good. Refreshes the pallet. Oh the turkey butter - I never like to be the first to cut into it!

      Delete
  19. Sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving and it is hard when one is grieving so good she has people around her to give her support at these difficult times, you are an amazing woman

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a truly wonderful Thanksgiving you had.
    A lovely post.

    Early good wishes for the new month of December.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful celebration. Gaining another family member was just the icing on the cake.
    Advent has arrived, I love this time of year as well as Lent and the Easter Tridium.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, we are enjoying leftovers from Adam and Gabby's. I love seeing that turkey butter. I haven't seen one in years. Sorry to hear about Cassie's loss. I'm glad that Laydee did well too with the boots.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Debby, that's a bittersweet story. 20 years too. Bittersweet story and I'm glad you welcomed her in.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so far behind in my reading, but I'm glad I came back and found this one. I love the stories and will pray for Cassie. So wonderful your family is able to reach out to her and include her in your own family like that. I am sure she appreciates it. This was a very lovely Thanksgiving story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress