Thursday, January 22, 2026

Waiting Isn’t Easy, But It Teaches

 


I’ll no longer keep you all in suspense. No Twelve Angry Men for me. I’ve officially been relieved of my waiting. And I’m assuming most of you know that classic movie - ⬆️ one jury room and a whole lot of tension. It’s a classic.



Shortly after I pressed publish, the word came through: I was no longer needed. Evidently, the jury would have to deliberate without me.



Still, it wasn’t all for nothing. I got a blog post out of it, and we all know we’re always looking for blog fodder. More than that, I learned a few things about myself while I waited.




That’s when it occurred to me. Maybe it’s not that I lack patience, but that I don’t really know how to wait. It’s not something we’re ever taught. At least, I wasn’t.


“Those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength” (Isaiah 40:31).

Faithless waiting is marked by restlessness because of a need to control the situation. Godly waiting, on the other hand, trusts the process, even when the outcome is unclear. I know it sounds impossible, but it's not. It just shows me I have an area that needs some tweaking. 





Maybe my jury duty wasn’t about serving on a case at all, but about learning to trust God in all seasons of uncertainty. Lord knows, as I get older, I will face more waiting and more unknowns. My hope is that I’ll learn to trust the process, regardless of how small or large the waiting seems. 

So, I didn’t get my moment in the jury box. I received much more. 



17 comments:

  1. Well at least now you dont have to wait anymore. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This time of waiting, Debby, taught you more than you could ever have hoped to learn. God knows what each of us needs to learn about the joys found in waiting with patience. As you've blessed us with this lesson, may we practice the same. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God always has a purpose! Glad your waiting is over and I appreciate you sharing the lesson with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you are so relived to be off jury duty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, indeed this really gave you some serious insight!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you looked at that waiting as a testing of your faith. I thought that once you hit 70, serving is optional. I didn't mind serving while I worked because I got paid. Now it is the fact that I can sit for long periods of time and I would be distracted. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Learning the unexpected lessons of life is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this update, Debby. I enjoyed your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patience is not waiting. It is what we do whilst we are waiting.

    The film "12 Angry Men" is excellent. A good training lesson on patience, persuasion and how to turn others to your way of thinking. Note that it contains 12 men. If it were 12 women they'd spend the time exchanging recipes for pumpkin pie! (Oooops ... sorry ... I did not mean that. Honest!).

    I like your logo for The Christian Lounge on your side-bar. Thank you.

    God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post. It is directed at me ... for sure.
    I am in the waiting mode for Jury Duty right now. I always thought being over 70 excused a person. Now me being 82 should be a given for no duty ... but we will see if I get excused. I have to learn to wait and can only do it with God being in control.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do know that movie and I'm glad you got released. I also don't know how to wait. I have no patience. My stomach gets all stressed. I'm happy to hear that you learned something from this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never been called for jury duty but Tim has a number of times

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you wait is over and that you learned something about yourself. The only time I don't mind waiting is if I can read a book or talk to someone who also likes to talk. I do not like messing with my phone while waiting, and it upsets me that no one wants to talk any more. that leaves me with a book to read. Waiting at traffice stops I have conquered because i have a huge curosity bump and love to people watch. all our stops have 50 to 100 cars full of people and A Lot To Watch....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I do remember the movie. Do you know when filming the movie they actually made the room smaller?

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least now you know that you won't be serving. Here once you reach a certain age they no longer want you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You were able to make some good observations during your still and quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you learned something new about yourself and that's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress