Wednesday, January 21, 2026

Patience, Grasshopper

I am on day two of jury duty limbo.

Not on a jury. 
Not excused. 
Just… waiting.
Available. 
On standby. 

Checking my phone more often than I care to admit.

I don’t like this feeling and the not knowing. Am I going in today? Tomorrow? Will I be released back into life, or will I need to rearrange my days until I get that confirmation that my service has been completed?  

My husband, ever helpful, smiles and says, 
“Patience, Grasshopper.”
He’s not wrong. I just don’t enjoy the lesson.



Patience sounds lovely when it's stitched on a pillow or listed as a fruit of the Spirit. But in real life, patience usually shows up disguised as inconvenience, interruption, or uncertainty. 

Waiting tests me more than doing ever does. I’d rather know the plan, even if I don’t like it, than live in this low-grade suspense. I’d rather be told “yes” or “no” than “we’ll see.”

Limbo is not my spiritual gift.
Plus, there’s something about uncertainty that frays the nerves. You can’t quite settle. You can’t quite plan. You're willing, but quietly hoping for an exemption. 

"Here I am, Lord… but if there’s another option, I’d be open to that too."

It's fascinating to wonder how much we have waited in our lives. Research shows we have all waited anywhere from 2 to 6 years of our lives. 
6 months waiting for a red light
1-2 years in lines 
6 months to a year waiting on the phone! 

No wonder we struggle with patience!

Still, there’s grace here. God is patient with my lack of patience. He doesn’t seem offended by my sighs, groans, or my “I just want to know.” 

Maybe patience isn’t about liking the wait. Maybe it’s about learning how to embrace it without grumbling too much.
Philippians 2:14 
Do all things without grumbling or disputing

So this afternoon, I wait. 
I check the website. 
I keep my phone close. 
If I go in, I’ll go in. 
If I’m excused, I’ll be grateful.

And if I’m still waiting tomorrow… well, apparently the lesson isn’t finished yet.

"Patience, Grasshopper. I’m still learning."

22 comments:

  1. I like that you view it as a lesson! I think so many of us lack enough patience. It is so hard to wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm annoying - I see life lessons from God in just about everything! 🤓

      Delete
  2. I've never been on jury duty but my husband was and had the same experience. I would have a hard time too - I like "my ducks in a row!" But you're right, God does teach us patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you hear something soon on jury duty. I would hate being in limbo. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience is not one of my virtues, smiles. Thank you for this post, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patience was a word (and meaning) for me one year. I painted it on a piece of old barn wood and had it on my wall for years. Definitely lessons to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is the limbo of waiting that frustrates me, too, Debby. Hope you have some certainty soon. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. May God give you pleasant moments of reflection in the midst of the waiting. Sounds like that is what He is doing. And lessons in patience are never things we really want to go through to learn how to be patient. I was told by an older, wiser person years ago to never pray for patience, or you will be stubbing your toe on every rock and stopped at every red light. It's true...be careful what you ask for! LOL. But it's good to see God's hand in each situation, and learn from the little lessons along the way. Soon the waiting will be over...until then, just try to relax and enjoy the moment. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed to read this. Thank you.
    rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not realize you were at home, on stand by. I was on standby after I went to jury duty, they put us all in a room, about 60 of us I think. and we all had numbers, they would call 20 people at at time and then come back for more, it was hour waiting to see if the jury would be chosen before they got to our number, they did call my number and I did get chose, I was brutally honest when asked questions thinking what I said would make them not choose me. did not work, I was one of the 12. I only had the one time, one trial, and it was only 4 hours because when we went at 10 to 12 to lunch, we sat down to wait on our lunch and I said, is there anyone of you that thinks that man is not guilty? every single one of us agreed he was guilty to the bone and I went to the door and said to the guard, we have made our decision, they called us back in, the judge was till there and were home by 1:30. as soon as I got to be to old to be forced to go, I filled out the not available card... I was afraid they might put me on the Tampa federal jury and as a friend of mind did, was on it for several months... I did enjoy the short trial I was on... I have zero waiting ability, except in offices I read or talk, so don't mind that but leaving me in the exam room makes me crazy

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is only one thing I can say, AGREE !! Yep, limbo is not my thing either, yet life goes on and things get done. Patience: {sigh}

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me smile .. I got a jury summons in the mail yesterday. I have to admit I was shocked. I thought I would no longer be in the pool being 82 years old. Apparently not.
    I am going to try to get excused because I am hard of hearing, hard to sit so long and just plain old..don't think it will have any effect on the decision people though.
    I don't like being in Limbo and waiting is so annoying.
    To Be Continued !!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Low-grade suspense" ... exactly! Those statistics are sure sobering; makes me realize how IM-patient I really am. I smile to think what my grandparents would say about these first-world annoyances.
    Crossing my fingers, by the time you read this the uncertainty is over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patience has been a difficult thing for me to learn. I hope you find out what's going on soon. I have never been called to jury duty. My husband did but after a few days he was never picked. My son got a letter but he was 17 at the time so he was excused since he was too young.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes it is hard to be patient.
    I like your words "patience isn’t about liking the wait. Maybe it’s about learning how to embrace it without grumbling too much"
    Take care ... my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I chuckled at what your husband said because Jess said that to me years ago, and it was the first time I heard it, so it has always stuck. Patient is not something I've ever been good at. And I often wonder if it's a trait of the youngest child. Out of all the Apostles, I wonder if any were impatient in waiting. They all had such different personalities, and Jesus understood and loved them all. And I think many times He makes us what we're not. I love your green font today, and I appreciated hearing that phrase, "patience grasshopper" again. ; ) The picture is really cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to quote that Philippians verse to my kids all the time. :)
    I think we all can use a bit more patience. I have patience for some things and I'm impatient for other things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It would be annoying to me not to know what my days were about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it is very hard to have patience. But this is a good lesson to try to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is never fun going to jury duty. So true, we have waited so much It is unbelievable! I hope you get excused.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry it was so rough on you. At least it's over now. Onto the next thing! Have a great weekend too. Hope you get some yummy foods!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress