Welcome once again to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4.
1. Where did your mother and father grow up?
My mom grew up in Dayton, Ohio. She was a city girl.
Dad was a country boy and grew up in Eastern Tennessee, in the Cumberland Gap plateau of Appalachia.
2. Where did you grow up?
The last place before we moved to Pacifica.
I lived in 3 different houses in San Francisco's Cole Valley near Haight Ashbury in the 60's (same street) and then grade 4 we moved to Pacifica, Ca.
I really was a scrappy city kid. Growing up in the city was fun and it had its perks, like independence, meeting people from different backgrounds, exploring cool places, riding public transit, and trying all kinds of food. I picked up street smarts back then that has been valuable throughout the years.
Then Everything changed ...😩
when we moved to Pacifica, a town so new it felt unfinished. That first year, I hated it. I missed my friends and was convinced nothing exciting ever happened there. It was not as vibrant as living in the city. The only good thing was the Pacific ocean, was just two miles from my front door step. As the years passed, the beach became my sanctuary.
I carry so many fond memories, in both places and as Charles Dickens so eloquently put it,
It was the Best of Times and the Worst of Times.
3.What was your favorite meal your mother made? What is your favorite recipe to make?
It's hard to pinpoint just one meal - I only wish I could enjoy one of her meals now. I'm looking forward to a home cooked meal from mom, when I get to Heaven. You think??? 🤔
My favorite recipe? I'm at the point, where I am looking for new recipes. I am burnt out from all the cooking throughout the years.
4. What are the advantages you enjoy where you live?
A slower pace than I grew up with. Who knew, I would appreciate less noise, no traffic, fewer expectations, and more space to breathe.
People here are nice, friendly and laid-back. We have a strong sense of community with events happening all the time. We're the gateway to outdoor recreation - both summer and winter! I’m grateful to live somewhere that matches the season of life I’m in.
“I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances” (Philippians 4:11).
The main downside here is our summer heat. We don’t use a “feels like” temperatures around here. What you feel is what you get. When it’s 119 degrees, it really is 119. We’re known for our extremely hot weather and very low humidity. The dry heat can actually be beneficial if you have osteoarthritis.
Here's a post explaining why we're so hot here.
https://myshastahome.blogspot.com/2025/07/why-is-my-town-one-of-hottest-cities-in.html
So that's it with this Tuesday 4.
I can't wait to read all of your answers.
God Bless.
Debby
Wow, that house in San Francisco looks very lovely and interesting! I have never really lived in the city, so I can't begin to imagine growing up there, but I'm glad you enjoyed it and it helped to form you into the smart and savvy person you are today. But I'm happy you also got to experience life in the "country", so to speak, and near the ocean. I can imagine that was an adventure in itself. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories with us. Regarding having Mom's home cooking in heaven, I really can't answer that one! I think we'll be eating "Angel Food Cake" and "Heavenly Hash". LOL. Whatever God provides for us will be "out of this world" and "divine". I can only imagine how wonderful that will be, to sit at the Heavenly Banquet Table with our Bridegroom! What a day that will be!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt had a flat downstairs where we lived and 2 apartments above us. Heavenly hash? Is that a real recipe? Lol.
DeleteYes, I'm looking forward to the banquet. It's coming...
I love that house! But living by the ocean would be much more my thing than living in the city. I'm a country girl through and through. I enjoyed your memories!
ReplyDeleteOnce you live in a city like San Francisco, it stays with you. I'm grateful God has allowed me to experience different places to live. Each one has it's virtue.
DeleteDaddy was Manassas GA Mother Palmetto, Fl, where I live now. I was Savannah Ga, until 10, we move to Pineville Ky drove through Cumberland Gap to get there from GA left there in 1959 back to Savannah and then here in Florida in 1984.
ReplyDeletemy favorite foods from mother were anything she baked with sugar in it, pies, cookies, cakes. the list is long. and spagetti. she never cooked anything I did not like except onions and oysters.
No oysters for me!
DeleteOh, how I love your old home in San Fran! What an exciting time to live there ... and such a contrast to my secluded homogenized hometown. I can't speak for all my classmates, but I was so sheltered by my (helicopter) parents it's almost funny. It's a wonder, when naive me left home for college the Big Old World didn't chew me up and spit me out.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reminding me of Philippians 4:11 ... one of my favorite verses.
Oh Myra it was! I experienced the 60's first hand. Until we moved up here, in 2008, I lived within a 25 mile radius of San Francisco. It still has my heart.
DeleteI wonder how your parents got from Ohio to California. That is such a neat weather state. It's so unique.
ReplyDeleteThey actually married in Indiana. Dad was in the army and passed through San Francisco for Korea and knew, this, was where he wanted to live eventually. He had a buddy who was a general contractor who offered him a job. From there he started his own business.
DeleteI couldn't stand the kind of heat you endure, Debby. Your house in San Francisco was so cute. I bet you're glad you don't live there these days, though. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThe heat isn't as bad as you think. It's hot but there's no sweating no bugs and people don't smell like body odor. My nose notices that when I've traveled to humid places.👃
DeleteAs for living in San Francisco - its my city and my heart will always be there. I could still live there but it would impossible to buy a property there with our fixed income. We'd have to rent but City life is convenient for seniors. And it's a ripe mission field. San Francisco is definitely not for everyone but is still an awesome, beautiful city! I'd go back if God wanted us to, but He has us where we should be. Blessings to you, Martha!
I have left my heart in San Francisco too!, You already know that.
ReplyDeleteMy folks both came from Minnesota during the war. Dad worked in the Shipyards as a welder on the big destroyers. After the war folks and me as a baby moved to the suburbs in new housing built in South San Francisco. Lived there until I was in the 7th grade. The atmosphere and politics of the city made the decision to move to San Bruno. More suburbia but my Dad worked in S.F. for Sears on Mission Street. What a great introduction to different cultures. We loved going into The City for shopping and all of the great things to do there.
Fast forward to Me getting married and our first apartment was on 20th Ave. in the Richmond District. Loved our 3rd floor walk-up for $95.00 a month. Sadly the apt. was condemned after the earthquake. It has slid off its foundation. So sad it was in such a wonderful location and only blocks from where my hubby grew up on 15th Ave.
After his folks passed and our son had lived in the home for some years, we finally had to sell the place. We sold it in 2000 for $690,000.
Today its listed at 2,900,000 !!! This is one of those grand side by side homes built in the early 1940's and renovated several times.
Of course we could never buy it today at those crazy prices.
Moved to Pacifica in 1966 and loved that place too. Hated the fog but one learns to tolerate it. Moved to Rocklin,CA in 2007 and now this is our "forever" home. Still close enough to go to San Francisco and close enough to get to the mountains in 2 hours or to your place in 3 !!
So Now You Know !!
Sue
You go down more than we do. It's not so much the drive until we hit 80.Then that urban crawl begins. It literally gives me pain in my sciatica with all that braking and driving, braking and driving. Ouch!
DeleteYes the homes on Cole street are in the multiple millions. My dad who bought and sold properties would be pleasantly
surprised.
While I had a good childhood in Pacifica, except high school - I couldn't want to get out of Lindamar. My first apartment was in Pacific Manor. I stayed there 2 years and got a cute apartment in Burlingame on the,El Camino. That was a fun place! And the weather was perfect.
I feel exactly the same, I would love to sit at my mother's table one more time. Your thought about maybe that will happen in heaven absolutely made my day! I've lived in Houston and Dallas, I'm much happier in a small community not far from Houston. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteOh that would be so nice to taste those meals made with love.
DeleteI'm happy here - I never thought I would ever leave the city. But here I am, since 2008 and loving it.
Your home before Pacifica is gorgeous!!! Looks like you have had the best of both environments.
ReplyDeleteI've been blessed living in different environments. Life sure is an adventure!
DeleteThat is a beautiful house! Your town sounds nice.
ReplyDeleteWe went to Texas one summer and it was over 100, but low humidity. I didn't think it felt that hot. We have really high humidity in the summer here in Missouri. It is hard to breathe. I agree that the dry heat is a little nicer even if the temps are higher. Love your answers! Have a nice week.
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Yes truly a San Francisco type home - built in 1900 it survived the 1906 earthquake. It had been a hotel back then.
DeleteI realized at a young age, that I can't handle humidity. We would go back to Ohio or Tennessee and I would pass out. I just can't handle it. I also hate to sweat or my skin feeling clammy. That drives me nuts.
Love your old house!!!!
ReplyDeleteBoth of us and our parents were all born and brought up in northern NJ.
That would be awesome - so much history there.
DeleteWhat a lovely old house. I am or rather was a large city gal as well. I spent most of my growing up years in a suburb of Toronto. We moved to a smaller city in Saskatchewan close to where my Dad grew up. I was in Grade 12 and had a very hard time with the move. Probably got in with a rather racy group as well. Then after a year there, my parents bought a hotel/bar in small town (actually a village of maybe 150 people at the most). I was in University at that time so would go there for summers and the occasional weekend. This is where I met my husband and where we lived for the first three years of married life.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
That sounds interesting Jackie. With all your thrifty ways and creativity, I would have thought you grew up on a farm. The hotel - bar sounds interesting.
DeleteThat lovely old home was built in 1900 and survived the 1906 earthquake. It was a hotel at the time. There were old stables in back when I lived there.
After 50+ years I am also over cooking :) I was lucky not to move when I was a child and had a wonderful childhood. Rivers, beach, parks and bush to play in. Enjoyed your answers. Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting. ❤
DeleteI travelled to San Francisco several times when I was much younger. I did a lot of walking which I definitely couldn't do now. I loved San Francisco as it was then. I'm not sure what it's like now. I also love the last home you lived in in Pacifica. I didn't realize it gets so hot in the area where you live now. I'd love some relief for the osteo but I do. not do well at all in heat though I'm better in dry heat or no humidity. I certainly empathize with you on the recipe burn out. I'm always looking for recipes on line and since I don't follow recipes to the T, I find they do at least give me ideas for what to make.
ReplyDeleteYes, recipe burnout. I need a minimum of 30 new recipes to weave in and out of my old ones that I still like.
DeleteYou've lived in a few interesting places. Living by the ocean would be a dream! I'm torn between living where it gets so hot or somewhere where it gets so cold!
ReplyDeleteWhen I lived there, I never thought much about it as a kid. It was nice and some things were nice but I'm very happy here. Just wish it wasn't so hot.
DeleteSo I have a couple questions. How did your parents meet? What made them move to California? Janice
ReplyDeleteDad was in the Army - they met through mutual friends and they came to,California due to a job offer in San Francisco. His friend was a general contractor. Within 2 years, my dad had his contractors licence.
Delete“I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances” (Philippians 4:11).
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful thing to say and a great testament to our Lord. Thank you so much, Debby.
God bless you.
Those years of raising my boys alone and struggling taught me about true contentment and it has stayed with me.
DeleteHi Debby,
ReplyDeleteI love your old house.
And I am with Janice, why did your parents move to California?
My grandparents moved to California for a very short time, my aunt Sharon was a baby. My grandma shared memories with me of hearing the seals, she loved that.
They moved back to southern Wisconsin and both started working for Pabst Farms.
Dad was in the Army - they met through mutual friends and they came to,California due to a job offer in San Francisco. His friend was a general contractor. Within 2 years, my dad had his contractors licence.
DeleteThat's interesting about your grandparents. Back then they moved for work.
I enjoyed your answers. Phew 119 is too hot to even think about.
ReplyDelete