Saturday, January 17, 2026

The Unspoken Promise of Care



"Hmm, something is up, I can tell."



It’s truly a joy to see her taking a few steps. While she may not run in it like the younger dogs on their wheels (yet) due to her age, it's heartwarming to watch her stand and observe the children joyfully riding their electric scooters and bikes outside our home. Her occasional barks fill my heart with happiness, demonstrating her wonderful engagement with the world beyond her picket fence. It is a lovely reminder of her spirited personality!


I admit that at times I have felt a bit sad as I anticipated she would adapt more quickly. However, we still have until February 9 to consider returning it for a full refund, which gives us time to work with her and explore other options. 


The caregiving and daily commitment we’ve made to Laydee mean more to me than I can easily put into words. Sometimes I don’t even try, because I can tell people don’t really understand.


Many see the inconveniences and limitations in their own  lives.  They see not having the freedom to travel. They wonder why we choose to arrange our lives around a dog who is slowing down. Well, she's NOT DEAD YET! 


What many fail to see is the unspoken promise of care that has gradually woven itself over the years - from puppyhood to old age. Those walks, hikes, swimming at the lake, meal time, companionship, and presence. Love doesn’t stop when strength fades. If anything, it asks more of us.

“The righteous care for the needs of their animals” (Proverbs 12:10). 

Caring for her has become a daily act of love and obedience and a living out of:

“Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2). 

She cannot carry her own burden anymore, so we carry it with her. This doesn’t feel excessive to me - it feels right. 


This season has narrowed our world, but it has also deepened it. I am learning that compassion often costs time, flexibility, and comfort. It asks us to stay until the end, when the other option would seem easier, and to tend to her when others would move on. 

And I think of Jesus, kneeling low, caring for those the world overlooked. 

“Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God” (Luke 12:6). 

If God remembers sparrows, I believe He cares for our animals. 

So I will continue to care without apology. To love her to the end of the road God has given us together. Even if others don’t understand, I'm sure God does. 

And for me, that is enough.




She still scores high on the Quality of Life scale. Her only issue is her mobility. 



Please check out my 
article featured on Victor's Christian Lounge. 





41 comments:

  1. Here's hoping Laydee gets use to her wheels. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this says a lot about the two of you. I know she's been a blessing to you and you are to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our fur children make life just a bit more joyful. Helping them is actually helping ourselves. Pretty soon Laydee will soon be going as much as possible with her new wheels. It just takes a bit of time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laydee is sure fortunate to have a mama with such dedication taking care of her. And you are fortunate to have her as well. I've had dogs my whole life, so I understand how they become part of the family. I felt bad when I saw Laydee in this picture. It must be so hard for you to see her age and not be able to do the things she used to do. But it's sweet that she still gets excited over the children who pass by and the happenings in the neighborhood. We need more people like you who think the world of their precious pets and who go all out to make sure they are safe and content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard especially the last year - but she's still herself even if she's not steady of her feet. Every morning, she still picks out a toy from her box - still grabs a ball when she goes outside for us to throw so she can fetch! She still an awesome companion

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you and would do the same thing for our dog. I love that verse and have used it for Bible journaling. We have a doxie who could have problems in the future. We would use the cart too if we had to. We spent 2K on her last year! I am going to Israel with a group from my church. We will be staying in a few hotels and we travel around to see the places Jesus walked. We don't go until October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are,strollers, too with dogs with mobility issues. If the wheels don't work, we'll get a stroller for big dogs I saw on Amazon. We'll see

      Delete
  6. We went through this with our two dogs and cat back in the mid- to late-2010s. We never once gave up on them. They were our whole world (the kids were grown and gone). All three of our furbabies had their separate issues, but we did not once give up on them. We made their lives as easy as we could. God bless you for loving Laydee like this and keeping on making her an important part of your lives. Give her time, she has that look in her eyes that says, just wait and watch. I hope it all works out for her! I'll be sending up prayers! // And WOW! You are the fastest replyer on my blog I've ever seen! LOL! I no sooner hit publish than there you were! Sending you prayers and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It may just take her time getting to use to the changes in her life-she feels your love I am sure of it -hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. No need to apologize at all! I think most of us would do the same, and sacrifice plenty for our dogs and cats. They are members of the family. Her wheels look nice and big, making it easier to go over bumps and such. I love your article in The Lounge. It is so comforting for us seniors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. only pet lovers can understand, in our life before JAKE, we rescued him from the street in 2005, we took vacations twice a year, ran to Savannah a couple times of year to see parents. AFTER Jake, we had 3, Jake was a STREET dog to the bone, and we could not leave him with strangers or in a kennel. we glad gave up vacations to have him. we rather have love and fun year round that take a vacation. we are retired and live a vacation at home.. hugs and prayers that she will learn to use the wheels. she made tears in my eyes looking at me in her wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to take her hiking,and camping. She's stayed in dogs friendly places. We ate at dog friendly cafes. We've had a lot of fun with her. And I believe we still have more fun to look forward to!

      Delete
  10. If I were in your shoes, Debby, I would do the same thing. Laydee is a trooper and a love. How could you do anything less? I also read your article in the Christian Lounge the other day and left a comment. It was beautiful. Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha. I can tell by your character, that you would do the same.

      Delete
  11. So, just a quick a thought...Can you imagine, if we humans said that about one another? (The quality of life is good, but our mobility isn't, so just put us down.) --you do what you need to do keep Laydee happy. Keeping in prayer sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a good post with good counsel for the care of our animals as well as the humans around us. I like the Scripture verses you have included.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the care you give your wonderful dog.

    God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this so much, Debby! Tom and I feel the same way about our girls. Travel? Sure, that sounds fun - but the idea of leaving them, even for a night, makes that a hard "no." Thank you for including this quality of life scale. I know when the time comes, it will be one of my worst days, but I pray M simply falls asleep peacefully in our big bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you get it? When we go away, she comes with us. It's getting a little harder but where there's a will, there's a way

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing this with us. I love seeing the love in Laydee's eyes. She knows she is loved and cared for and she is very appreciative of everything you do for her. Being pet parents is rather new to us. We've had a few dogs over the years, but unfortunately because of circumstances beyond our control we weren't able to keep them and had to give them to others to raise and enjoy. It was heartbreaking, and it made us leery of ever trying again. Now we have this "porch kitty" who is trying his best to become a "house kitty". Maybe God knows we need him more than we realize. I don't know, but they sure have a way of creeping into our hearts, don't they? Thank you for loving your sweet companion so much. That is a testimony of God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to gave a bumper sticker that read "who rescued who?" after I rescued a German shepherd. She was a love as well.

      Delete
  16. I understand - she is one of your loves of your life and as long as she is not suffering you want her around. You don't get rid of pets or people because they are hard to take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been blessed with wonderful animals, dogs and cats. We always loved them as part of the family. That's jyst how we do, our pets

      Delete
  17. You love her and you care for her.
    I'm so hoping Laydee gets use to her wheels.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think anyone who has loved a pet knows exactly how you feel!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This made me feel happy, I hope she finds her wheels/legs soon

    ReplyDelete
  20. I understand Debby. I am sending high fives to Laydee, she is trying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the photos of Laydee and her new Wheels. What a blessing for her. You and your Hubby are such wonderful caregivers. She will thrive in this stage of her life.
    Beautiful scriptures to round out your post.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is wonderful what you are doing for her and I pray she responds well to this new time in her life. God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress