Friday, February 6, 2026

👃Where did the word, PU come from?

 Source: COR


 I thought this was such a pretty drone shot of my town. 

The work week has come to an end, and I'm excited to relax and enjoy the weekend. Although I plan to stay home and do some more cleaning, I just finished a thorough monthly cleaning job that I used to do more frequently. Since I've been away from home and haven't been doing as much "house-wifing," I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that my refrigerator has been neglected.

A couple of years ago, I became frustrated when the city announced that we needed to recycle our leftover food. Food waste is no longer allowed in the garbage cans; it must go into the green waste bins with yard waste instead. Rather than complaining about the new rule, I decided to embrace it and do my best to adapt. After all, you can't fight City Hall. 🥊



So I bought this container that sits on my counter. Isn't it cute? Looks like an old tin garbage can. I use the recyclable bags we get in the store in the produce section that biodegrade - (don't store your fruit and veggies, or they will begin the dying process in your vegetable bin). We're in the groove - whatever leftover food we have on our plates goes into this little can. It can be a bit overwhelming during big family dinners because we (usually Sara and I) do all the raking, then layer it into the compost bin using yard waste. It has actually worked out well. 


When I cleaned out the fridge, all those little leftovers, in containers that get taken hostage to no-man's land in the back of the fridge, had to be emptied into a double-wrapped paper bag and tossed into the compost. The freezer had some freezer-burned roast beef that really bothered me. I was planning to use that in a soup this week. I absolutely hate to waste anything. 

I need to improve! My parents, from the Depression and WWII era, taught me better.







It is recommended that we get a professional garbage can cleaner that comes out on garbage day and cleans your can, which we are seriously considering. Since the state mandated this, so many small businesses have met the stinky can's demands and are popping up all over. It's a buyer's market! So getting the best bargains are out there if you look! 👀 

For 4 cans, it's $35 a month or we can choose every other month or quarterly. 

This is their process: 

"Cleaning your trash bin only takes 30 seconds. Our 360 cleaning heads remove dirt and debris from every nook and cranny of your trash bin. Blasting water at over 200 degrees, paired with a disinfectant, kills all festering bacteria, promoting true cleanliness. After your trash bin is sanitized and disinfected, we hand-deodorize each container with the scent of your choice."


In our 105+ summer heat, it can get awfully smelly if you're not layering properly. So far we are doing fine, but on the days they do garbage - PU!


Where did the word PU come from? 

It's not an acronym; it's likely derived simply from the pronunciation of its parent word. Dating back to the early 17th century, a common exclamation of contempt for foul odor was "pyoo." As English spelling had not yet been standardized, this word was also written as pue, peugh, pew, and pue. Although each variant was correctly pronounced pyü, in practice, particularly when expressing outrage, both syllables were stretched out as pē-‘ū (pee-YOU), which, over the years, has been shortened to PU.






When it comes to the Super Bowl...🏈

Is it happening this weekend? 


Honestly, I wouldn’t even know anymore. I’ve come to be very comfortable in my individuality and enjoy being a bit of a nonconformist in a sea of followers. It’s hard to believe there was a time when I was a die-hard football fan, completely swept up in the excitement and frenzy of it all. While my heart still holds a soft spot for baseball, I no longer feel the need to obsess over any sport. 

Now, as I gracefully embrace the wisdom that comes with age, I find myself drifting further from the noise and clamor of mainstream pop culture. Instead, I’m drawn to quieter, more meaningful pursuits and simple pleasures that spark my curiosity, capture my attention, and bring me joy.

And with that said, I offer you all a blessing...


May your chips stay crunchy, your wings stay saucy, and your team wins. 👏🏻


Debby


Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2








35 comments:

  1. Never knew that about the word PU. Interesting. Hope your trash routine works out. Glad we dont have to do that here. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a lot of extra work but since I'm in the groove it doesn't bug me so much as it did in the beginning. It does make one aware of wasting food.

      Delete
  2. I love the drone shot of your town. It's beautiful with the river and bridges and mountains!
    I hate all the rules you have to follow. They make good sense, but it's a lot to keep up with.
    We aren't Superbowl people and won't be watching either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a very picturesque town. I, too dislike all the dumb rules.

      Delete
  3. Your city makes you recycle the food wastes with your yard waste. I have never ever heard of that in my life. Or garbage can cleaners - why do you have to do that?
    I agree some cans do smell, but ????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a California law. I had never heard of it before either. My initial reaction was, how this would work during the summer with out heat? It has to do with the methane gasses in our landfill. No garbage can cleaners in your area? We have about six new companies that offers this unique service. We don't have to have the service but it is nice especially since we don't use water to clean our cans, unless we haul it in the backyard to clean where no one can see. It's like a carwash for garbage cans! Lol

      Delete
  4. This trash bin cleaning service is genius. What scent would you choose? The little countertop trash can is cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! I love how innovative entrepreneurs are! Good for them. Wish I had thought of it.

      What scent? Hmm, I have no idea. Maybe new car smell. Nothing too sweet because rotting organic material goes through a sweet stage. A citrus of some kind would work like lemon.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the Bible quotation.

    We too are having food recycling containers introduced as of March this year.

    The word PU perhaps originates from Pepé Le Pew ... ???

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have used a compost bin here at our home for almost 20 years for all our raw waste. It truly helps us cut down on how much stuff goes into our actual garbage cans. I know I wouldn't like to have to do this because it was mandated, though. Your little can is cute, though, and reminds me of the one we put our compost in before taking it outside to the bins. Have a great weekend, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a big compost container as well. But it gets full. Our "trash" is more than half than what it used to be, years ago. We actually could go down a size. Being mindful of what we buy, sure helps.

      Delete
  7. Oh no, I don't think I'd sit well with that new rule of the garbage containers and recycling leftover food. I loved how you talked about your parents and how they taught you better. I am always referring to my parents with the younger generation. They just did things so differently than today, and I appreciated a lot of it. Shows the respect you have for them, Debby. With the word, PU, I've always spelled it pew haha. I'm not really into the super bowl either, but all the football lovers in my family are! Have a pleasant weekend, Debby. I drove to the city this week, and had such a great time. The weather was just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking, that in your area, there must be an exception made because the food would attract bears. It's crazy but it's not that big of an issue for me anymore. In fact I like that it gives me an awareness as to what I do waste. I buy less plastic containers and cook in smaller quantities as not to waste. Sometimes I forget that I am no longer cooking for a family of five!
      My sons usually enjoy the Superbowl and do parties with their friends. Years ago, as a 49er fan I actually preferred not to be distracted by a party. I liked concentrating on the game. I plan to do some Valentine/Chinese new Year decorating.

      Nice that you had a nice time in my town. The weather has been so nice and mild! Thank you for stopping by, Sheri. I hope you have a fantastic weekend!

      Delete
  8. It's surprising how quickly the food waste bin fills up, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and I'm always trying to cut down on that. I'm trying to be more mindful instead of gluttonous

      Delete
  9. It's a very pretty photo. We are supposed to do that too with our leftover food but haven't started yet. I love how you feel about yourself. I'm struggling with cleaning things out in the house. Too much stuff that we don't need. I have extreme anxiety over it. You're in a good place. We are going to our son's house to watch the game. I don't care who wins. The teams I like didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it's the whole state of California! We've been doing it for 2 years now. At first it was a hit and miss.

      I get anxiety with too much stuff in my house. It seems it is a constant chore. I like everything in its place and if it is not I get overwhelmed. My dear husband likes to keep everything so we strike a happy medium that is more comfortable with him and I keep tossing stuff we no longer need!

      Delete
  10. Oh my, I would have some major adjustments to make to keep up with that food composting thingy. I am assuming they do the cleaning of the trash cans because you don't use bags in them...or I think you said you use biodegradable bags for the food garbage? I guess it definitely would make us more aware of how much food we do waste. I know it's too much...because, like you, I was used to cooking for a family of 5, and it's hard to cut it down to two. Sometimes I send food over to our kids when we have too many leftovers. They don't mind since Rose works full time and doesn't always have time to do a lot of cooking because her hours are so changeable. (She works at Home Depot.) Anyway, I enjoyed your post...and the origination of PU. That was good. Now I need to go fix our supper, which will be using up some leftovers, so good for me, right? LOL. Have a lovely weekend. The kids are coming here to watch the Superbowl with us. I don't watch it, but the guys will and Rose and I will find something else to do. (Like keep them well fed. LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as difficult as I thought. I'm actually surprised at myself because I don't usually enjoy major changes to an old habit. God gave us stewardship over the land and animals and sadly we haven't done so good - I figure it aligns with God's call for us to care for His creation so I happily do it!

      Delete
  11. Interesting about PU!! I learned something new today!! I cleaned out closets a few weeks ago. I need to attack drawers next. The fridge is in good shape right now. Thanks for reminding me, though. I need to get busy!! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, Yeah, who knew? I'm in the process. Seems I am constantly in the cleaning mode. Just trying to keep my home, anxiety and stress free! It's a job!

      Delete
  12. Sure glad we don't have that food rule here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said to Pamela, I figure it falls under good stewardship of God's creation so I'm happy to do it. At first, I couldn't wrap my brain around it. I agree that it's a shame we have to have laws for what we should have already been doing.

      Delete
  13. Interesting! I never thought about "PU"s back story; just something my parents used from time to time.
    That's something about odor control in the kitchen. I made a cabbage/onions/peppers and sausage stir fry earlier -- then realized our home -- which has poor ventilation to begin with -- was beginning to resemble a Polish mess hall. What to do but gather candles and light wicks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a lovely drone shot of your town.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok never knew where the word PU came from till now.
    Also our food waste has gone in the green waste bin for years, we have a small white bin with green biodegradable bags that supplied by the council for the food waste. It took a little while to get use to using it but now it is second nature

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait that history lesson on the word PU is actually so funny because now I’m going to be saying pee-YOU every time I open my locker! Your little compost bin is seriously the cutest thing ever and now I’m wondering if I can convince my mom to get one so we can be fancy and eco-friendly too? Have the most amazing relaxing weekend and you should definitely come see the new travel post I just shared at www.melodyjacob.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grinning, "being a bit of a nonconformist in a sea of followers." Love, love love this. Thanks for the smiles, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! I absolutely love your ending words about leaving the noise and embracing the things that bring you joy. I relate to that completely. Thank you for validating my feelings, friend. Have a cozy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting about PU. Like you I am not a sports fan but do have an affinity for baseball I think it's because of my son playing baseball for most of his growing up years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We don't have the recycle for yard waste as of yet. Our youngest son does and he uses the recycle bags as well. Though he saves some of the organic waste to go in his garden during the spring, summer and fall.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Debby! Thank you for visiting my blog this weekend and leaving a comment. I'm interested in hearing your take on the topic. And at first, when I read what you shared about the rule on your leftovers, I thought that was a gov't overreach. Then I thought that it makes sense to keep the stink down, so maybe not so crazy after all. But with the amount of taxes and prices you pay there, the cleaning of the garbage can should be on their dime, not yours. And I agree about the Super Bowl. We watched the TPUSA show and thoroughly enjoyed Kid Rock's ending song. Again, thanks for visiting! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Debby, I've been to the downtown area in your town many times because my favorite cafe is right there, but I haven't been to the public market yet since it opened. I'll have to do that. And Turtle Bay sounds like another good place to check out. I usually just do some shopping and pick up some things that are needed, as we don't have a lot of shopping up here. But I got my shopping fix for sure haha. Thanks for the suggestions on the other places. And I still have to try your favorite Mexican restaurant. ; )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress