Thursday, March 26, 2026

Grieving Laydee

“There is comfort in knowing that ‘in His hand is the life of every creature’ (Job 12:10), and that the One who created them is also the One who receives them.”



I process by writing - and writing and writing. 

Some of the things I wrote after losing my son Michael unexpectedly… even now, can bring me to my knees. There is something about grief and loss that draws out the most profound thoughts, things you didn’t even know were in you. It’s part of the way we process, I think. A kind of protection. A way of trying to make sense of something that, deep down, we know will never fully make sense.

Suffering is part of the Christian walk, like it or not. Jesus suffered, so why wouldn’t we? He told us plainly that there would be suffering. I’ve never understood those who present the Christian life as all butterflies and rainbows, because it isn’t. It’s real, it's raw, and at times it’s very hard. The difference is not whether we suffer, but how we suffer.

I find comfort in believing that all animals, and the breath of life within them, return to their Creator. That has brought me peace more than once. Years ago, we left a church after the pastor said there was nothing beyond this life for animals. He was also the same pastor who once said nothing good ever came out of the Old Testament. My husband didn’t sit quietly through that one. And rightly so. (See the above Job 12:10)

I suppose I’m rambling now, but it feels right to keep it real. This is where I am at. Sometimes you just have to let the words come - pounding them out, on my keyboard - letting them spill from my mind onto this page. Holding them in only makes the weight of loss heavier.

Right now, my husband is having a hard time. He was Laydee’s primary caretaker, because 75 lbs was hard for me to lift and maneuver.  We've been putting things away. I see his tears come, though he doesn’t fully break down. He steps away instead. I give him his space. His time is in the early morning before he brings me my coffee.  We all grieve differently.

I am overwhelmed by a wave of nausea that seems to linger, while an unshakeable fatigue weighs heavily throughout the day. My thoughts keep spiraling back to the last day, an experience I wish to push aside, if only for a moment. I've wept until my eyes feel raw, the burning sensation a harsh reminder of my broken heart.  I hold onto the hope that each day will bring some measure of healing, but the ache in my heart remains relentless and painful, a constant shadow that follows me wherever I go.

Why did I let myself open my heart to a dog so completely? Reflecting on it now, I have no regrets at all. It beautifully illustrates the profound connection that exists between humans and animals. In those moments of her wagging tail and soulful brown eyes, I realize just how truly blessed I was - to have a dog that truly loved me back - 

So I write...

Because the thoughts and words have to go somewhere.

31 comments:

  1. I so understand your grief. Losing our cat a few years ago, my husband and I decided that Tundra would be our last pet. It is just too hard for us letting go of anymore. It will be hard letting Tundra go when the time comes. Our pets are part of our family...they are much more than just a cat or dog. I do believe once they cross the rainbow bridge they do go back to our creator...and I sure hope to see all of my pets again one day. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words, Janice. Today is a better morning so far. Yesterday (this post) was a bad day for me. It's just getting used to all the "firsts" without her.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry Debby. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautifully expressed. A dog's love is so honest and unfailing and we miss their presence when they leave us. I look back on past dogs (and cats) with joy and thankfulness. It's hard to walk the familiar paths without them by our side, but in so doing, we honour them for all they gave us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like what you said and I will think on that we honor them for all the gave us - that wonderful unconditional love.

      Delete
  4. Oh- I have been there and know I will be there again as I see my pups growing older. I have something that my granddaughter said about heaven and animals when she was only 3 years old. She was our rainbow baby and had a special 'aura' about her--still has it in some ways. I don't want to post the whole thing here but if you send me your email, I will email it to you. It really helped heal my heart. My email addy is: dianakos1@gmail.com. If you aren't comfortable doing that I understand. Hugs of love and comfort- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that writing helps, I am a talker, sometimes a writer, but talking about my grief is like a jiggly thing on a pressure cooker, your jiggly thingy is writing. it releases the pain as does crying, When Big Boy died, I cried for 3 days, not just tears but sobbing... the sobs helped, and then I went for a while of sudden tears, and now after 5 years with Beau I still tear up when talking about Big.. most men have a harder time grieving than women and all of us grieve differently. Prayers for our Lord to fill you with His peace and joy and heal your aching heart and your husbands. For myself, each time we lost our dog, we rescued a dog 7 years and older, 2 days after Big was gone, Beau came to live with us and he healed our hearts from day one, I cried on his neck and he healed me. hugs and love coming your way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking helps too. I talked and cried to my Christian counselor on Thursday. She cried, too because they had to do the same with their dog, almost a year ago.

      Delete
  6. I simply will say, I understand. When our son passed away, his dog, Coffee was not the same. And then we lost Coffee like 6 months later...it was just so hard. My friend, something I have learned in the past near 5 years, God is good, period. He puts things, people, pets etc. in our lives to show the kindness, the bad etc...and all of it on HIS timing, not ours. It's ok, Deb...truly. Sending you much love and many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debby, I'm at a loss for words. Nevertheless, every ONE of yours resonates in tune with my heart. Your candor triggered tears of my own -- both last night and this morning. How lucky we are to love and be loved. But darn it, the heartache is real.
    Thank you for sharing your momma heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sweet love and trust. That heartache is so real. But God will use time to healing.

      Delete
  8. So sorry about you losing your Laydee. That's tough. Sending hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so very hard to say goodbye to loved ones, including our dear pets. I am so sorry and sad for your loss. Grief is personal and we all must process it as we can. It's a hard journey we all take in our lives, most of us more than once. May you both find peace as the days go by. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing has always been my solace in times of grief, Debby. Yes, our thoughts and words, as you said, have to go somewhere. God knows our pain and suffering better even than we do. He created all things, as we know, and if He cares for the sparrow, we can rest assured that He loves all the beautiful creatures He has made. May the Lord bring you comfort, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading the comments on this post, it feels like your blog readers are of like mind. I am another one. Sending prayers and virtual hugs for both you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart aches for both of you. I am so sorry for your loss. ((HUGS)) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do understand too. The only pet I have ever had was a sweet, slightly crazy parakeet named Perry. I was only 10 years old when he had a seizure and died in the early morning hours. It was the first death that I had ever been a part of. Sadly I had to go to school that morning. When I got home my Daddy had buried Perry in our backyard. I hadn't had time to grieve and my Dad who was always so kind and compassionate to everyone (including me ...he really was the greatest dad), said to me that Perry was only an animal and I shouldn't be so sad. That was 72 years ago and it still cuts deep when it comes to the surface. I think my Mom was horrified that Daddy said it that way. And life rolled on.
    Life is all about Loving and being Loved ... be it people or our pets ...
    Thanks for the therapy outlet. I really do understand ...
    (((hugs)))
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Sue that must have been hard for you and still at a tender age. I know you understand, Sue. (((Hugs))) back at ya!

      Delete
  14. This was beautifully written. There's a lot I can say but I know none of it will erase the pain you feel right now but I will say that I have been praying for you. The loss of a furbaby is a terrible feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers Dawn. I am feeling the prayers from everyone.

      Delete
  15. We all grieve differently... but it is part of life (if that makes sense!)
    Saying a prayer for you both.
    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Debby, I am so very sorry. I can well imagine your grief. That is exactly one reason why my hubby has been so reluctant to let Blackie into our home and life too completely. We've had to say goodbye to dear pets before and he said he never wanted to get that attached to an animal ever again. I dread the day that our son' and dil's two pups pass on. They will be devastated as those are their children, and we will feel that too, as they are our 'grandpups'. Yes, loving and grieving are like two opposite poles, but really they are very close together. Without love, you really don't grieve. With love, you know you will grieve eventually. I never used to think much about an afterlife for our animals...I wasn't brought up with pets that I was that close to. But the older I get, and the more I think about heaven, the more I think there will definitely be sweet pets frolicking in the fields of heaven, and they will still be there to be a sweet blessing to us in some way. Only God knows, and He knows best, so I will trust Him to do what is right and best for His beloved children. Sending (((HUGS))) and prayers for you both right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress