Tuesday, March 31, 2026

I've come a long way, Baby!

Oregon Coast
The photo has nothing to do with the post - 


Yesterday started like any other day until I received a call from a social worker in San Jose about my 75-year-old ex-husband. He had been found unconscious in a homeless camp and is now hospitalized with serious health issues. My heart sank. Despite our past, I agreed to be listed as a contact for his transfer to a skilled nursing facility. He's pretty much alienated everyone.  

I wasn’t surprised he still had my number in his wallet. 

After the call, memories surfaced - some good from early on, but mostly painful. I was reminded of the red flags I once ignored and the lasting scars. I knew I could not step back into old patterns of trying to fix what isn’t mine to fix anymore.

So I set clear boundaries. I checked California law, and I will remain only a contact. I will not take on power of attorney, sign any paperwork, or assume responsibility for his care, finances, or decisions. The social worker and case manager will handle everything. My sons have chosen to keep their distance, and I fully respect that.

I have forgiven him, but forgiveness does not mean re-entry into his life. It means I am free. I can care from a distance and entrust the rest to God.

There is still hope. As my husband reminded me, even the thief on the cross turned in his final moments (Luke 23:42–43). As long as there is breath, there is the possibility of him turning back. He did, at one time, love the Lord until addiction became his lord and master. 

UPDATE: Just as I was preparing to hit Publish, I received a call from his case worker. I’m relieved to hear that he is stable enough to be moved today, and they have identified three potential places for him to live. 



I always like to look for what God is teaching me - what lessons have I learned along the way. 




After years of facing difficult challenges with this man, I've finally learned to show him compassion without losing myself. I once thought that was impossible, but it took time and God's guidance to get here. Looking back, I realize, WOW, I’ve come a long way. Thank You, Jesus! 


All GLORY goes to God. 

Debby

Food for thought...

1. Have you ever felt responsible for fixing someone else’s life?  What helped you release that burden?
2. Where might God be asking you to step back and let Him take over?
3. Have you ever faced a situation that showed you just how much you’ve grown?



27 comments:

  1. Wow, Debby, the Lord has really blessed you to be where you are today. Wiser, for sure, and safe. Yes, the thief on the cross is an excellent example of how our Lord is not willing that any should perish. I pray your ex-husband receives Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skilled nursing can't restore his soul - I'm praying for him.

      Delete
  2. Hi Deb, nice that you can be led by compassion to a broken soul. Good that you have set boundaries to keep you safe and he is safe too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that God worked in me to be able to do it. I still get the "icks" when it comes to him but he is down in San Jose. I don't have to see him nor talk to him. That is best.

      Delete
  3. I believe God has given you compassion, but also wisdom in handling this situation. I'm glad they have some possible places for him to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes wisdom. The Admin of a place called me and he will get there sometime, late afternoon. At least now, he is no longer, homeless. I hope it works for him.

      Delete
  4. God showed you the way. I will pray for him.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debby, I am in this same boat. I don't think it's a coincidence that we connected here in Blogland, but it was God's will. My ex has been a thorn in my side, but I chose to forgive him, because that is all Jesus asks us to do. I pray that he will accept Jesus as his Lord and Savior sooner than later; my belief in the Lord is what caused the rift between us. I pray for him, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without going into details here, I've experienced the same, Debby. The day I stepped back and allowed God to work in it all was life-changing. May He continue to do the heavy lifting when it comes to your ex. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is no longer your problem, but you would be less than human not to be touched by his circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto what Mari said! I applaud your compassion (I don't know that I could do the same) -- but at the same time, setting boundaries. Both for yourself and your family. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boundaries and Freedom ... Compassion and Forgiving ... The Lord has done a mighty work in you.
    Thank you for being transparent and sharing your life with us.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. God showed you the way ...
    I'm pleased they have some possible places for him to stay.

    My good wishes to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a similar situation. It is so hard to know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow. Debby! I can fully see myself in this post. Yes...I have been in this situation and I dealt with it for a very long time. My younger brother was the sweetest guy ever and had a heart of gold, but alcohol controlled him. He was no longer married and my both of my parents are deceased, so I always felt like I had to be that mother figure for him..helping him in every way possible. Thankfully..by the Grace of God, he gave his life to the Lord about 6 months before he passed away. My heart rejoiced but yet I felt pain for all of the years that he missed in serving God. Truly, no one understands until they have experienced this type of tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm glad he finally came to Jesus. I remember when he passed away. You don't have to be that mother figure to him anymore. He's with His Father.

      Delete
  13. I have forgiven him, but forgiveness does not mean re-entry into his life. It means I am free. I can care from a distance and entrust the rest to God.

    Oh Debby, your words above spoke to me so much today. THANK YOU!!!
    I had to let a VERY toxic person out of my life because it was destroying me. It is very painful, but you are right, I can care from a distance and entrust God with the rest.
    THANK YOU for this post.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry to hear this but I'm glad it all worked out for you. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a kind and compassionate person many would have said not my problem and hang up but not you

    ReplyDelete
  16. "I have forgiven him, but forgiveness does not mean re-entry into his life."

    You are correct. We have a responsibility, a duty, for our own safety and well-being as well as that of the ones we love (e.g. our children). Forgiveness does not mean reconciliation and things go back to as before.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wasn't allowed to comment on your other post so popped in here to wish you a Hoppy Easter 🐰

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress