Monday, April 6, 2026

Bloom where you're planted

 

My dad planted these roses over 20 years ago...

Isn't this absolutely beautiful? It really brings a smile to my face, especially since my husband cut back on the roses quite a bit this past Fall. My roses usually bloom in winter, spring, and Fall but this year was a bit different due to the drastic pruning; they skipped the winter, but they are coming in now abundantly and beautifully. But hey, better late than never!

You know, I'm a little different from most folks. I like to keep my roses and flowers in the garden. If I want some for the house, I just pick some up at the store. I love keeping all that color in my yard, for the bees and butterflies, plus my cat really enjoys munching on them if I have them in the house. As I get older, I've noticed that some floral fragrances tend to give me headaches. But those pink roses? They always remind me of the fragrance of the rose milk body lotion from back in the day! 

Does anyone else remember the Rose Milk body lotion? 





I've got some of the red ones coming in, too! Dad planted these as well.  They're lovely, but I have to say, the pink ones really take the prize for fragrance.







And of course, our California poppies that just "pop" up where they want.  This is the time of year when they are blooming all over - 








The Pregnancy Clinic hasn't opened yet, so last week my husband and I went over to plant in preparation for its opening. Not only does he "coach" the young father-to-be, but he seems to have taken over the gardening as well, and I guess I am his helper.







Since it's just five minutes away (very convenient for us) and the sprinkler system isn't turned on yet, either he or I will go over and bring our hose to water the newly planted bushes until this Friday when the system gets turned on.

They are hoping for an opening on April 22.







My goodness! Because they had to tear down walls and make some electrical changes, they had to jump through many bureaucratic hoops, which delayed the opening from Jan to now April 22.








We planted a few lavender plants, and the daffodils were already there, spread across the dirt and mulch.












By 9am this morning, we were on the Sacramento River Trail. Nice spring day for a beautiful walk. Not really a hike - it's a trail for walking, biking, scooters, and is handicapped accessible. 








It's that time of the year for the spring melt from the mountains and frozen lakes. 
 I can already tell the river is high. 








It is so peaceful. I saw many ospreys and vultures - quite a bit, actually. 







Poppies are just beginning to bloom here -







This shrub in the buckthorn family (Rhamnaceae) is known as Lemmon's ceanothus. It is endemic to California, where it grows on the wooded slopes of the Inner North Coast Ranges, the Sierra Nevada foothills, respectively, of the Sacramento Valley. The abundant flower clusters are clusters of pale to bright blue or purple flowers. 








The Manzanita tree! 

Native to California, the Manzanita tree thrives in our Mediterranean climate. It's drought and fire-resistant, making it quite resilient. Additionally, it has medicinal uses, aiding headaches, poison oak issues, and stomach problems.

 

While hiking, and it's HOT, its bark can be up to 11% cooler, earning it the nickname "Refrigerator tree." Resting your head against it can provide a refreshing coolness! I learned this survival tip in Girl Scouts, and it has stuck with me ever since!







Snowdrop (this has various names) 


We pulled into the driveway right at noon. After lunch and a short power nap, my husband is now mowing the lawn, and I'm here posting to you all while doing my laundry. Well, actually, the washing machine is doing all the laundry. I'm just sitting here. 



This Easter was quiet, just my husband and me at home. Our adult kids were working, which I've come to accept as a reminder to "bloom where you're planted." Plus, they are serving others, and that makes it all worthwhile. 

 

Volunteering at the pregnancy clinic is a blessing for my husband and me - I'm already hunting for baby clothes on sale for the Boutique. When I visited the clinic on Thursday, they hinted I might work in the Boutique.  I'm excited about this program's impact on the community, though I likely won't start until after our BSF semester ends on May 6.

 

I'd best be moving on -  I have clothes to fold and a kitty that needs attention. Susie loves to watch me fold laundry. It's a game. 

Until Next Time, 

Debby







27 comments:

  1. The roses are beautiful. And I am the same way...I don't like to pick the flowers and bring them in. I like to see them continue growing and leave them in nature. The poppies are glorious! We only have the big cultivated ones here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roses, but have no luck at all growing them.
    Beautiful photos and how interesting about the tree.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need a lot of water. Everything else in our yards are drought resistant except for the roses.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that pink rose is a beauty, and the red rose is also pretty. The California Poppies always make me smile, and they aren't blooming yet at the creek, but soon. So good of you both to plant a little something at the Pregnancy Clinic. The Sacramento River trail looks so peaceful. It was a good day to visit, as we are in for lots of rain this week. Is rain in the forecast for you there? The Manzanita tree is interesting, and I learned about the health benefits it provides. I always enjoy your nature posts, Debby. They are close to home here in the mountains. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes rain is coming in tomorrow. All the newly planted roses etc will need some rain and give us a break from watering!

      Have a beautiful week, Sheri

      Delete
  4. The roses from your Dad are so beautiful and extra special because they are from him!
    I love poppies and wish we could get them to grow here.
    I'm glad you're enjoying the work at the pregnancy center. I know you're a blessing to everyone there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think those roses were just mini roses you find at the grocery store. They get bigger once planted in the ground.

      Delete
  5. Hope you had a nice Easter - I know you did. Your flowers are beautiful. I love the area you live in. I like this quote - Bloom where you're planted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this post so much. Love seeing your flowers and the place where you walked...and also that you are planting flowers at the pregnancy clinic. What a lovely thing to do! Yes, your pink rose is gorgeous. I can smell it from here! I do remember that Rose Milk lotion! The reason I love to cut my roses as they bloom and bring them inside to enjoy is because the bushes tend to bloom more often if the blossoms are cut...plus I don't have that many flowers outside blooming for anyone to even notice, so I really enjoy seeing them inside. I am also sensitive to fragrances and cannot tolerate many of different flowers...but roses I can enjoy and I do stop and "smell the roses" everytime I pass by them. I am happy for you to be going to help at the pregnancy center. I know you will be a blessing to those young mothers to be...they will learn much from your wisdom. Thank you for giving of your time and energy to help them. I hope you have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These roses are planted next to our covered patio so we can smell them when we're sitting outside and we're outside a lot.
      It will be a pleasure to serve there.

      Delete
  7. Roses won't bloom here for about a month, but I can't wait for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful those plants you are nurturing at the pregnancy center are, Debby. Such a perfect reminder of the promising life these young women are carrying within them. Since I've never lived west of Missouri, I had no idea about the Manzanita tree and its cooling gift. Wow! God's creation never ceases to amaze me, and I believe He wants us to discover how to use it with respect and stewardship. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos shared today!! Wow! I agree with leaving the flowers in the garden. My cats don't allow me to have flowers or plants in the house. I am also allergic to many strong floral scents, as well. What a peaceful and lovely place to hike! Have a blessed week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my cats have never allowed me to have flowers or plants in the house so I enjoy them in the garden instead.

      Delete
  10. How beautiful! Yes, these blooms belong in the garden, smiling at the sun.
    I sure do remember that Rose Milk lotion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers are all so beautiful. I always love seeing the poppies. That is lovely about the clinic flowers and that he coaches new dads, along with you possibly working here too. How wonderful that you went for a hike. Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roses are a real favorite of mine. Many people in our area have so many blooming in their yards. Its such a harbinger of new life.
    I love your making the Pregnancy Center so inviting and a blessing to all that enter there. The boutique would be such a fun place to work. Looking forward to hearing about all your experiences there.
    It looks like such a delightful walk along the river, a real blessing to your soul.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. The roses are breathtaking.
    How special to have the roses blooming that your dad planted!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I see roses I think of my great-aunty Joyce she had such beautiful red roses in her front garden that she rarely attended but still looked amazing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Roses are such a wonderful flower, I enjoy seeing them in gardens.
    I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful flowers. Especially lavender. We've not been very successful with lavender plants. Doing OK with tulips though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed all the photos today. :-)
    Thank you for updating us on the Pregnancy Help Center. Do keep us updated as you are able.

    We will be grilling brats tonight for our first grill of the season.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like to keep my flowers outside too! Occasionally I will pick a lilac branch to bring inside though. They smell so wonderful! Gorgeous pictures, all of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress