Hello! It's time again for Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4, and I am happy you stopped by to join in.
From August 1977 to June 2000, I was a stay-at-home mom to my three sons, and truly, that was my main career and passion.
For 16 of those years, I also ran a licensed daycare out of my home called Kidcrossing, specializing in infants, toddlers, and twos.
Living in Silicon Valley, I saw a growing need as more and more moms entered the workforce and needed reliable childcare. At the same time, I was facing instability in my marriage and realized I needed a way to support myself if it ever came to that. (which it did)
And with my son Michael’s disability, leg braces, and medical needs at the time, traditional daycare wasn’t an option for him. So I built something that allowed me to be present for him and provide for my family.
Looking back, I can see how God was already making a way before I even knew I would need one.
What started as a need became a thriving business.
When I first opened, I charged $88 a week per child. By the time I closed to become a live-out nanny, I was charging $275 a week per child for six children.
Let’s just say… location, location, location! 😄
Now I don't know how people can afford childcare.
2. Of the jobs you've had throughout life, which was your favorite?
My own mom stayed home, and that example shaped me more than I probably realized at the time. One thing led to another: being a mom led to running a daycare, which led to becoming a nanny once my boys were grown and off to college and the military.
I loved my daycare years, and I especially loved my 12 years as a nanny. My Nanny kids are now in their mid-20s, which makes me feel both proud… and slightly old. 😉
One recently earned her PhD from Northwestern University and works in sustainable chemistry. Her twin brother is a senior mechanical engineer in the aircraft industry, and their younger sister is also a chemical engineer.
Watching them grow up has been one of the sweetest “paychecks” of my life. I'm still close with the parents. They are an extended part of my family.
For the after-school talks, the sick days, the summer, the Christmas vacations… all of it. My sons never had to wonder if I’d be home; they knew. And to me, that was worth more than any title or paycheck.
Well… loving children, for starters. But also running a full-fledged business out of my home.
I had contracts, policies, and routines (because toddlers without structure? No, thank you 😄). I even put together a monthly newsletter that parents actually enjoyed reading.
We built a little family-like community, annual alumni summer BBQs at the park, Christmas parties, and Halloween BBQs during our neighborhood block party (which just so happened to be excellent advertising… totally by accident… of course 😉).
I stayed full with a waiting list, especially for infants, and created a monthly curriculum for my toddlers and twos to keep their little minds busy and growing.
Did it require special education?
Yes, I earned my early childhood education certificate, kept up with the required yearly training in child development, nutrition, and safety, and business classes.
Because behind every “just playing with kids” or "you're just a babysitter" comment… was a woman running a successful business. 😊
A few days after graduating from high school, I began my working journey at California Dental Service in San Francisco. The position offered me a salary that was notably high for someone of my age, allowing me to gain financial independence quickly. With my newfound income, I was able to secure my first apartment, which was a junior one-bedroom with an ocean view. Additionally, the following year, I made the significant purchase of a brand new car. I loved living on my own with no roommates. I honestly think those TV shows, " That Girl " and the Mary Tyler Moore show, influenced me. Fun fun times, and it gave me the confidence I would need years later when I would be solely responsible for my three young sons and myself.
I also worked part-time at Macy’s in the Children’s World department. Just 13 hours during the week and a 5-hour Saturday shift. The real perk? Keeping my boys clothed with that employee discount!
I’ve always had a little side hustle going direct sales, crafts… you name it. I guess you could say I’ve always been a bit of a scrapper. Oh, and I have been with Avon since the 1980's. I no longer sell to people - I order once in a while to keep my discount. I keep waiting for them to fold, and after 135 years, they're still plugging away.
My last business venture was with Kannaway in 2010, a CBD, hemp, and wellness company with a yearly trip to Denver for the Cannabis Cup. Now that was a trip. 😇
I found myself officially “retired” when all three of our adult children fell on hard times, moved back home at the same time, and the house was full again! It was a delicate situation, especially since they were used to living on their own and wanted to still live life on their own terms. (Cooking bacon at 2am while the rest of the house is sleeping) It took a lot of adjusting as we navigated this temporary season together. There were some challenges, but after a couple of years, they all found their own places again, and I was so happy for them to leave. It was a wild ride, but I’m grateful for the memories we made during that time! Now they appreciate it all, with one of them knowing what it is like to have never-ending house quests. So what goes around eventually comes around.
And when I look back over it all, I can see how each season had its purpose, even the unexpected ones.
Wow, you are so independent, clever, and hardworking. For each season of your life so far, you made amazing and workable solutions!! You are my hero!
ReplyDeleteAww, thank you Ginny. One does what they have to do. That's how I was raised.
DeleteJobs .. I'm with you on my favorite and best job is raising our 2 boys. Truly that's all I ever really wanted to do ... being a Mom.
ReplyDeleteHigh school found me doing many babysitting jobs and working at Western Girl (a temporary agency) with my Mom on Saturdays ... opening and sorting mail for the Union Oil Company. It was so different from all of the digital world today.
Never finished college and worked at Sears at their Snack Bar for many years. I can sling a mean hot dog and scoop ice cream cones with the best of them. I had fun and liked the people I worked with.
After several years of marriage we bought our home and when I was pregnant I quit to become a full time mom. I'm so thankful for that time with our boys and all of the wonderful things we were able to do together.
When Sears pushed all of middle management out in the late 80's Dave was out of a job. Very painful but growing time for us. I got my CNA certified nurses assistant. and really didn't feel I was called to do it full time. It did help me with my Dad and caring for others. Dave and I went to classes and got our Certified Tour Director certifications. We did tours throughout the US but to supplement the times we weren't on the road we got involved with a temporary agency. Best thing that could have happened to us. We became part of their staff and were in management positions for the Convention and Trade show business. We traveled the US helping to put on the shows onsite and made life long friends and saw things and ate in restaurants that we could have never gone to on our own. The business world became chaotic and our jobs grew less and less. We officially retired and eventually sold our home to move to where we are now. It was the best decision for us. It allowed us to devote our time to our church and volunteer in so many capacities and to travel doing humanitarian work. I could say that they were all JOBS but they were more than that. They were the things that shaped me and made me realize that I could do more than I ever thought I could do. Learning Life Lessons by the seat of ones pants has so much value. I am today so different from those start up years. I don't regret the ups and downs. God has brought us through and who knows what's next.!
Sue
Wow Sue. My best friends husband worked for All state when it was part of Sears so I remember that restructuring that was going on there. He had to leave and get a new job and it was in the 80's.Sounds like both you and Dave did what you had to do and ended up landing a really neat job, working together, meeting people and truly enjoying it. I find, for many of us our jobs or professions weren't exactly what we had envisioned but it worked. I liked what you said about learning life lessons by the seat of your pants - so perfectly put!
DeleteOnly God knows what is next.
Wow, you were very creative in your jobs...that last one sounds like a real "trip" for sure! LOL. Seriously, the Daycare/Nanny occupation sounds like it was the most rewarding, especially because you were able to take care of your own children too. I am sure the children under your care were well cared for and very blessed to be there. I'm sure the parents appreciated you too. And that bit about all three sons coming back home to live as adults...yep! I know about that too, although with us it was just two...one was married by then and had his own home, but the other two and then my elderly mother in law staying with us every weekend for several years ...well, let's just say life was FULL. Yes, we women have to get creative sometimes to make things work, but thankfully we have GOD guiding us and carrying us when we need it most. Thank you for sharing your life experiences with us. You are amazing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Pamela. I really loved the childcare and being a nanny. I still dream of certain personalities and when I was on Facebook I kept in touch with the moms and saw their photos and what they were doing in their lives. It was a fun time in my life.
DeleteHi Debby, I enjoyed reading your post today! My sister did childcare too and helped me out many times. It's nice that your boys felt safe to go back home when the needed your help!
ReplyDeleteWe were glad we could help them out but they started to get lazy. So I started charging them room and board and funny, they got jobs that could support them and worked toward finding their own places. They're all good, but there were times they were wearing out that welcome! We probably have a closer relationship because of those couple of years.
DeleteI love this. Very interesting. I worked as a teacher's aide for decades, but I was always at home when the kids got home and sometimes, I ever worked where they attended school. Good to be home when our kids are.
ReplyDeleteThat was very important for me - to be home when they came home from school. I would have enjoyed being a teachers aid and if I hadn't had my daycare I probably would have done that.
DeleteI am so impressed with your entrepreneurial spirit, Debby! I got into teaching (later in life) so that my schedule would be the same as my kids'. That was hard because their dad and I got divorced and the single mom thing was not something I'd ever envisioned being. Being a mom and a grandmother are the best jobs ever. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteMy sister and I picked it up naturally, since our dad was also a contractor and into real estate, both buying and rentals. I can totally relate never imagining single parenthood would happen, but it did, and we both made it through, thanks be to our Father in Heaven!
DeleteBesides dedicating yourself to being a good mom, you did the very important job of looking after other people's children. Thank you. 🙌
ReplyDeleteIt’s not just about caring for the little ones; it’s also a service for the parents, especially those experiencing parenthood for the first time.
DeleteThis was really interesting
ReplyDeleteThanks Jo-Anne
DeleteThank you for taking time to answer and share these questions.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting.
All the best Jan
Sure. It was fun to think back
DeleteWhat a fascinating journey! Childcare might sound like a cup of tea to some, but I know it's a serious undertaking. Did you ever read Suzanne Hansen's, "You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again: The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny." That one sure opened my eyes!
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I read that book. There also used to be a website called "I Saw Your Nanny," where people posted videos and photos of nannies behaving terribly.
DeleteLike you my best and most loved job was raising our children. The next was being the Youth Coordinator for our parish. I adored working with the youth and many of them are friends with me on Facebook to this day. After that I will say that being an EA was also awesome and most of the students I worked with are also friends online.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
They say if you do something you love, you never work a day in your life. And I loved my time with children. Mine and well as others.
DeleteWhat a wonderful story of a determined successful woman. Thank you for your encouraging and inspiring story. God bless you always.
ReplyDeleteYou've had a full and fulfilling life. It's so good that you are still in contact with some of your 'charges' and can see how they're grown and developed.
ReplyDeleteHaving just visited California I understand the child care situation :-)
ReplyDeleteWe had a conversation about how they would be cobbling together activities for keeping their kids occupied this summer.
My wife was a stay at home mom, and homeschooled all three of the girls. Now she has to take care of me. I'm sure the girls were easier. LOL! Got my first job, bagging groceries, at an Alpha Beta store in Southern California when I was 15, and I've have a job ever since. I've been a furniture mover, a security guard, a geologic draftsman, a waste water treatment plant operator, and retired as a fireman. These days I spend a good amount of time during the summer working in the 911 dispatch center.
ReplyDeleteBeing a SAHM is the hardest and most important job there is! I tell my daughter that all the time when she's getting frustrated and bored!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed learning more about you my dear Debby.
ReplyDeleteI am/was a stay at home mom. I worked as a teachers aide until our Christian school closed. After our school closed I home-schooled our boys. My side hustle was my seasonal flower business.
xo
What a wonderful story of your independence, hard work and success. I was in banking for 50 years. Janice
ReplyDeleteI am very impressed with all the wonderful work you have done. I am also impressed with your answer for #2. You should be so proud of yourself. My husband left me when our children were 2 1/2 and 18 months old. I had to get a full time job. OMG, reading your answer for #4 I have to say you are one amazing person!
ReplyDelete