Friday, November 22, 2024

Snow in Shasta County


A "double portion" in Scripture often signifies 
a special blessing or inheritance.



I’m posting a bit late this Friday. I enjoyed some banana bread with chopped pecans, yesterday but it gave me a mild stomach ache. To ease the discomfort, I used a heating pad on my abdomen and lower back. It seems pecans don't agree with me, so I’ll be cautious in the future. My husband is enjoying the homemade tortilla soup I made, but I’m skipping it because it’s too spicy for my stomach. Instead, I’ll have a scrambled egg for a light dinner.






In Humboldt County, a big tree fell due to strong wind. We also had quite a bit of wind this morning. 

Today’s weather featured light sprinkles rather than heavy rain, which allowed me to dash out quick, to get the turkey.  






The following are some photos that capture the scenic beauty of Shasta County's mountainous areas in the snow - through a selection of photos, from webcams, local news - 

Note: No snow in my town - just the higher elevations of Shasta. 








Doesn't it look like he is trying to catch snowflakes with his tongue?












This image features a truck parked off to the side of the road in Shasta County.








Having snow chains can improve traction and safety when driving in snowy conditions. 









Hatchet Mountain is a notable summit located in Shasta County. It is one of the prominent peaks in the region.








One of the members of my Bible study group resides in Montgomery Creek.  She homeschools her children and they also come to BSF's children's group as well. 








The ski season is expected to begin within the next two weeks. We no longer ski.  

I don't want to break, pull, or sprain anything. 







The footage from their webcam today indicates that they need to reach a specific depth, which they have not achieved yet.









The image captures the scene right before the onset of the storm.


California is a large state and we all get our water from different sources. Here in Far Northern California, our primary source of water comes from the Olney Creek – Sacramento River watershed. Half of the water in Shasta Lake comes from the rain and snow melts from Mt Shasta. The rain fills our creeks and tributaries, making for a healthy groundwater system -  The city operates 17 huge groundwater wells to support its water needs, so we benefit from the rain - any amount of rain! 

We love the rain up here and are thankful for this awesome start to our Fall/Winter Rainy Season. 


Okay, now I think I'll make that scrambled egg for dinner...


Enjoy your beautiful weekend. 
May it be a blessed time of rest and renewal. 


Debby




 




 


42 comments:

  1. Oh my, the tree is HUGE!! I can't imagine what catastrophe it must have taken to topple it! It does appear to have very shallow roots though. Scrambled eggs sound like a wonderful soft diet meal for an upset stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redwood Trees have shallow roots relative to their size. 10 to 13 feet deep, but can spread out horizontally for 60 to 80 feet.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow...no snow here in Florida, but the last few days have been brisk and this morning its 38*. No worries, it will be back in the 80's by Monday. Wishing you a beautiful day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow 38 is a bit chilly for Florida. While I do enjoy 80 degrees, I love this time of year here. After the long hot and dry summers it’s always welcome!
      You have a good day too, Linda

      Delete
  3. Beautiful snow pics. I do enjoy seeing the snow, just not driving in it like I had to the other night. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah constant driving in it would get old - I don’t have to but the few times I gave, it’s fun as long as it isn’t a blizzard! I’ve been in a few of those in Tahoe and it was scary

      Delete
  4. That was a huge tree!
    Your snow pics are really pretty.
    Hope your stomach settles down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really is a lot of snow and it is beautiful. I love seeing the white fluffy stuff, but I know it can cause a good bit of havoc for those driving in it. I would not do well driving in the snow and ice. The bread sounds so good and I am sure it was...sorry that it wasn't great for you tummy. I too have a very sensitive stomach, but I never have issue with pecans...thank goodness. The tortilla soup sounds good as well...cooler temps calls for soup on the table. Wow Debby, that is a huge tree that fell over. So sad when an old tree loses the battle with the high winds. Y'all stay warm and enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice scares me.
      I love all nuts especially in my baked goods. - so far today we’re having sunshine. The calm before the storm. Enjoy your weekend as well. 🥰

      Delete
  6. the truck looks like it pulled over due to a whiteout snow situation. glad you are getting the snow you need. I love the little red house and it is tied with the horse photo with his tongue eating snow. either or both would/could hang on my wall. Have a great TG holiday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow on that fallen tree! I love horses and I love snow ... but these images make me want to run find a sweater. I hope your stomach feels better this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my tummy feels better. Horses and snow always makes a great picture!

      Delete
  8. Sorry the nuts didn't agree with you. Wow, that is one huge tree. Those are some beautiful photos of the horses. That looks like a lot of snow. My daughter had snow in Montana yesterday. That last photo is so beautiful. We are expecting some rain in Southern California this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of snow! I'm glad I don't have to drive in it! I hope you don't have to either. I pray for those who do. I know when you live there you get used to it, but still it is dangerous stuff to drive in. Hey, I just made banana nut bread too! I used walnuts in mine. (they're cheaper! LOL. I save the pecans for extra special stuff!) Your bread looks really good, like a real loaf of bread. Do you use yeast in your recipe? I'd be curious to see your recipe. Mine is on my blog somewhere if you just type in banana nut bread in the search bar. I'm sorry the pecans didn't agree with you. I know I can't eat very many nuts any more either. Funny how our dietary issues change over the years. I hope you have a blessed weekend and wonderful Thanksgiving. Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately it seems I have to be careful than last year. I’m not pleased!

      Delete
  10. Hope you are feeling much better today, Debby. I enjoyed the photos of snow you shared here, too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is some big tree.
    We had lots of wind yesterday but it has calmed down now.
    Great seeing all the snow pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have visited your area in years past and a lifetime ago. It's beautiful! Summer and I did the redwood trail several years ago. Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park was my favorite - after Muir Woods! What a beautiful place you live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting our fair state. It is a beautiful area! The redwoods are enchantingly beautiful.

      Delete
  13. What a shame that you are unable to eat things you have prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm right in the thick of it, my friend. We had a big one Wednesday, and supposed to have more on Monday. That tree in Humboldt County is HUGE! That was the cause of our power outage - I heard a tree limb fell on the electrical lines. Oh, those poor horses in the snow. That's such a cute one of the horse catching snowflakes. Your homemade tortilla soup sounds delicious. And that bread you shared with us - Yummy! I'm glad you're getting lots of rain. Stop by on Monday, if you'd like, to see all the snow we are getting! We didn't expect so much!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know you are and was thinking about you. Most definitely I’ll be visiting Monday - as I always do! Can’t wait to see the photos. ❄️❄️❄️

      Delete
  15. Your bread looks divine and oh so fatal to my diet..I know I would eat too much and it would have to have a generous amount of butter slathered on it too.. drool..
    Chilly where you are but I'm glad you are below the snow line. Driving in that stuff is scary to me. Trips to Tahoe would make me nervous in the winter time..don't do that any more..
    Love your photos too, especially the one of Shasta and the horse catching snow flakes...
    I'm so glad for the sunshine today. Its helping dry out things a bit. Helps with flooding issues.
    I'm watching right now a sweet little Hummer flitting around the berries and blossoms beginning to appear on our manzanita. No camilla buds yet though. I think the weather just wasn't cooperative this year. Hopefully some will come soon.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturday was a sunny day till evening - then we had a thunderstorm. Today it’s been a cool 51 degrees and dreary. Still haven’t been able to see Shasta, since it still is shrouded in cloud cover. Can’t wait to see all the snow against blue skies!

      Delete
  16. The banana bread looks good, the tree looks huge and the snow looks cold, just saying

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope your stomach is feeling better now. That is a huge tree! I love the picture of the horse with his tongue out! It must be nice to live in an area where you can go to snow it you want to and not have it forced on you! LOL! That last picture is pretty, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to be able to go to the snow for a couple of hours and then come home! No shoveling, no frozen pipes, no frozen sidewalks! Although, I think I would do it all, if I lived in Alaska. But my kids would have to come too. And they aren’t interested!

      Delete
  18. Debby, Yes, sloshy snow is heavy snow, and it's hard on the back. But it's just something that has to be done to clear the driveway to get to the store. The road workers plow the streets, but going around all those piles in town can be tricky. It was interesting to hear about your friend in Alaska. Can you imagine the freezing weather they endure there. It's a place I've always wanted to visit. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s actually not as freezing as decades past. They start getting snow mid- October. But it’s the wildlife that she observes from her windows I would adore! She has a moose family that visits - with their calf.

      Delete
  19. That must have been one heck of a wind to blow a tree that size over. While I do like snow (so pretty) I really dislike driving in it or shoveling it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a lot of snow. Praying you are all well. Happy Thanksgiving. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, wow, snow, snow, snow. :-)
    I hope your tummy is feeling better.
    Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow~ The shots of the snow are beautiful . It's good you were able to identify what upset your stomach. I've had some stomach issues but can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress