Thursday, July 17, 2025

Old Town Lewiston



As a child, I spent my summers camping by the banks of Trinity Lake near the dam that you might be able to see in the far distance of this image.  It was there that I learned how to water ski and experienced my first case of heat exhaustion when I was just eight years old.

Here’s the first part of the day if you missed it. ⬇️



Before heading home, I wanted to revisit the small mining town of Lewiston, California. It's been a few years since I last drove through. 

Lewiston has a long history, dating back to 1851, when it was first established as a town. The post office opened in 1853, marking its official establishment. Once a bustling center for gold mining during the Gold Rush, Lewiston was built along the original trail connecting Shasta and Weaverville.





Source: Western Mining History

Bridge over the Trinity River at Lewiston, California, 1910








Look at the bridge now. 

Perched atop the bridge, the Christmas Star shines brightly, drawing in visitors from all around the area during the holiday season. It's a local attraction that I've yet to experience! Somehow, life always seems to throw other plans our way, but this year, I told my husband: 

"We’re going to see it this year!"





Source: KRCR

The celebration comes alive with fireworks lighting up the winter sky and a parade brimming with lights. It looks like an experience that truly captures the festive spirit!

The chill in the air up in those mountains is invigorating - it's the kind of cold that wraps around you like a cozy blanket, making it feel just like Christmas!





As we approached the bridge, it was a charming one-vehicle bridge that seemed to whisper stories of the past. We paused so I could snap a photo. Sure, it creaks and groans beneath the weight, but that's part of the fun. I'm confident it's still standing strong after all these years.

My mother battled Gephyrophobia, a fear of bridges, and it was heartbreaking to watch her struggle with it as I grew up.  Her anxiety reached a point where she no longer visited us (and her grandsons), unable to face the daunting task of crossing the San Francisco Bay with its bridges. Growing up, witnessing her fear taught me a powerful lesson: I refuse to let those same fears (or any irrational fear)  take hold of my life. 






As we drove onto the bridge, I couldn’t help but pause to soak it all in. No pun intended. 😁






As we spun the car around to return to the bridge, my eyes were drawn to a stunning church nestled among the mountains, its architecture harmonizing perfectly with the landscape.







But first, we have to drive through town. 

A mercantile shop and a gift shop are there, and that's it. Where is everyone? It is a Saturday - It says they're open. Too hot to leave the dog in the car. Fortunately for us, we live close enough so we can come back when it's not so hot and Laydee can stay home. Most of these places don't have AC. 







This sign truly captured my heart! I want one in my yard! 

Gee, what would mine say? 

Sundial Bridge
Shasta Dam
San Francisco
Castle Crags
Mt Shasta








The picnic table called to me, nestled beneath the shade of the trees. It stood alone in the tranquil silence. But looks are deceiving - it was 108 degrees. 








Here's the delightful old Congregational church, built in 1896, that still stands next to a cemetery that whispers the tales of those who once roamed these grounds. Yet, it’s clear that both the church and the cemetery could use a little love and attention. It’s a pity our state hasn’t embraced the opportunity to preserve these cherished landmarks as part of the State Park System, much like they did with the historic town of Shasta.







The once quaint old school house has transformed into a quaint public library, a change that feels perfectly suited to its new purpose.

The last time I visited, it was a museum of their gold mining history, and the town. 






Do you have a library book that needs to be returned?






Built in 1862 









The charming one-room schoolhouse carries a remarkable legacy, having opened its doors during the presidency of Abraham Lincoln and its journey continued through the decades, finally closing in 1961 during the John F. Kennedy administration.


On Saturday, I was determined to get out of the house and beat the sweltering heat, especially with temperatures reaching a blistering 111 degrees at our place! 


We were all, Laydee included, beat by the time we came home.  Thank you for joining me on my little day adventures. I'll post an update on what we did on Sunday eventually. 


Take Care and God Bless. 
Debby


24 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful place! We have a Lewiston here in MI too but it's not nearly as charming! In fact, we are headed there for our week vacation on Aug 1st. You have so many beautiful places to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that sign.. as well as the library. Looks like a lovely quaint little town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s showing its age but that is what makes it charming to me.

      Delete
  3. Lots and lots of wonderful history there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place to visit and turning the schoolhouse into the library was the perfect choice.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That old town of Lewiston is a place I would like to visit and that bridge is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been up in that area but don't think I have ever been to the town of Lewiston. I might have to wander up that way one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful journey and so many things to see and enjoy. God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww I want to go there right now...well maybe when its a bit cooler than 111F ...
    I love old cemeteries and old towns in general. Great photos and I do hope yu can return during Christmas. That would be so much fun.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cemeteries too. I volunteer with Find-A-Grave - taking photos of graves for genealogical and informative purposes and have found some really old ones hidden away where it’s hard to find. This was one I’d like to return to. It was overrun with weeds and was locked.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow...beautiful. I so want to go there now, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, your latest post isn't showing up on my side bar, not sure why.

    I've never heard of this town before. That's a neat old photo of the Mining history. The bridge is pretty all lit up for Christmas. I would definitely like browsing through the mercantile. And I love that old schoolhouse. That's neat that they transformed it into a public library. Thanks for sharing you day, Debby. Stay cool. It sounds hot there this summer.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I’m going to republish it. A google glitch.

      Lewiston is just a few miles from Weaverville.

      Delete
  11. Hi, a fun adventure. I love the library and sign for the book return.
    I also appreciated your words regarding FEAR!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photography here, and charming scenes! I had never heard of a fear of bridges, but as I read your blog, I told my husband about it and he told me one of his brothers has that. Has been afraid of bridges all of his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. Fear can be debilitating, and my mom had quite a few. Bridges kept her away from enjoying life the last 25 years of her life.

      Delete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress