Every January, you can almost always count on the daffodils starting to bloom around here. At least, that’s the case for mine. I transplanted these overachievers from the front of the house to our hill in late summer, and I really thought they for sure would have thrown a fit about the move, but nope, they bloomed as expected. I suppose my daffodils are simply programmed to open up in early January.
Things are fairly low-key here -
but in a good way.
I met a new woman named Debbie who needs a ride every Thursday for our church Bible study. She lives close to me, so it's not out of my way. During our 30-minute car ride, I learned all about her, her husband, their finances, and her various ailments. I just nodded along and enjoyed her company. She showed the same enthusiasm at Bible study. I always enjoy observing the group dynamics when new personalities join.
While I was re-watching my BSF lecture online, Susie curled up next to me, enjoying the experience. This kitty really loves the Word of God!
It was such a sweet moment that I felt compelled to send a photo to the teaching leader delivering the lecture.
She replied with a photo of her cat, Sammi.
We concluded they are disciples, spiritually united in their feline quest for more Jesus!
Sara's birthday was on Friday, and I took a photo of her present mainly because I loved that wrapping paper. It reminds me of the wallpaper in my childhood bedroom. Only, instead of posies (or whatever they are), mine were red and pink roses. I know, different flowers, but maybe the colors are what triggered my brain.
We delivered her gift on Saturday, and then, Navy and Sara shared their harrowing experience with scombroid food poisoning. Last week, during game night, their friends brought over seared ahi tuna steaks, traditionally cooked lightly on the outside and raw on the inside.
The first casualty was their friend, Bob. Within 10 minutes, he developed a flushed red rash, had difficulty swallowing and breathing, along with a severe headache and stomach pain. Fortunately, Sara is a nurse and promptly gave him Benadryl. Bob and his wife then went to the emergency room.
While they were leaving, my son was the next one to fall ill, with the same symptoms. Unfortunately, Bob's wife had taken the entire bottle of Benadryl, leaving Navy in a miserable state. He experienced "the works," and without the antihistamine, his symptoms would persist for 10 to 12 hours or more. Fortunately, Sara connected with Bob's wife, and they brought the bottle back for Navy. He was unwell for the rest of the evening and the next day and still suffered through the vile symptoms.
Now he says he is swearing off raw fish - probably a good call, especially since they eat all that raw food. I'm actually surprised he got as sick as he did. I suppose it was bound to happen.
As for me? It's a BIG NO THANK YOU. I'm content to stick to my totally old-school, cooked meals, and I'm fine with that. We have several restaurants in town with nothing but Raw foods. I just don't have the passion.
Meanwhile, poor Carrie, who is a picky eater to begin with, witnessed all the drama and has now sworn off all things raw. She did take a bite before all the drama broke out, after a dare, and somehow dodged the bullet and didn't get sick. The thing that boggles my brain is that Navy said it tasted funny, yet he kept eating, as did his friend Bob. Yeah, I don't get that at all!
Navy asked me,
"Wasn't there a rock group called Bad Tuna?"
No, dear child, that would be Hot Tuna. A relic of the 60s San Francisco psychedelic music scene, part of the Jefferson Airplane family tree. It struck me as funny, but honestly, there could have been a band with that name...
Obviously, Hot Tuna never ate BAD tuna.
PS. For years, I collected vintage Fillmore West/Avalon Ballroom Posters, and my sons knew of the old bands that played in my era. I sold them years ago on eBay, which was a plus since all mine I acquired were free. I now wish I hadn't...
But what's done is done.
Friday, Laydee received her mobility wheels, and we have been working with her gradually. Progress is progress. The Vet suggested we give her special treats only for training, so she learns to associate them with the positive. So far, she has taken 2 steps, and her tail was wagging like crazy. I believe she gets it!
We're very hopeful.
To be Continued...
I'd best be getting off - I'm dressed and ready for church, and as soon as my alarm goes off, I can leave in time. Husband is already there, playing the conga.
Thanks for dropping by.
Debby




%20(1).png)



Oh gosh so sorry to hear about the food poisoning and so glad everyone is alright. AM looking forward to the daffodils popping out but we still have a few more months to go. Cute kitty pics. Janice
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, it's been a week and all is well except for the natural aversion to tuna after being sick from it.
DeleteI must admit that the daffodils make me jealous. We got 5 inches of snow yesterday. :)
ReplyDeleteI had wallpaper in my childhood room that looked like that too, except my flowers were lavender and pink.
Poor Bob and Navy, that sounds horrible. No raw fish or any other raw meat for me either.
Cute pic of Susie!
By the time your daffodils pop up, mine will be just a memory l
DeleteOh the food poisoning sounds awful! I have never understood why people want to eat raw fish! It just sounds awful to me. Susie looks so sweet! I love Jefferson Airplane! My favorite album being "After Bathing At Baxters". Hoping for photos of Laydee once she gets used to her new mobility!
ReplyDeleteI most definitely will share photo of her in her new wheels.
DeleteOh the Jefferson Airplane were the best!
Oh no, your son got food poisoning. That could be scary. I just made tuna sandwiches, and I sometimes wonder about that too. That's funny that Navy remembered the bands played in your era, and how cool you had some of those vintage posters. I used to love to listen to Santana. The present you wrapped is pretty. Oh, I would have loved to seen your bedroom with the wallpaper in red and pink roses. Do you have any pics of that? So sweet that Susie curls up to you and listens to scripture. And your daffodils are starting to come alive. Have a nice Sunday and good week ahead, Debby.
ReplyDeleteI was quite the "rocker chick" once and I taught my sons all the classic rock that came from San Francisco in the 60's. It gave them an appreciation of the music I grew up with. I'm pleased that they actually enjoy the old classic rock - know the words and players who moved on to other bands. Loved Santana and Malo, started with Carlos Santana's two brothers Jorge and ???
DeleteYes I believe I do have a photo of my wallpaper. I'll have to dig it up.
Oh my goodness, raw fish. NO!! I got so sick on raw sushi 12-15 years ago. I've never been so sick (but didn't go to the ER). I didn't eat any sushi for at least five years. Now I only eat cooked sushi. Just don't do it!! Glad they are okay! Have a good week ahead!
ReplyDeleteOh how awful, so you know! Yuck. My son didn't go to ER either. He trusted his wife, the nurse. My son would agree with you. Not fun at all.
DeleteYou're making me want to get out next week and buy a pot of Daffodils! That's plenty scary about the bad tuna casualties; thankfully, neither Tom nor I feel led to consume anything raw. Fingers crossed that Laydee's love of treats overcomes her fear of the new wheels!
ReplyDeleteThat's why we take it day by day. But interesting note: she is right now laying in front of her wheels...hmmm.I hope that means what I hope it means.
DeleteUgh on food poisoning, been there and done that, sigh. Keeping in prayer for all to feel better. Have a beautiful Sunday my friend.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Linda. So far, the only food poisoning I've ever had was once at a church pot luck. Since reading all the risks, I only eat a salad or bread, if at all. Some people have some nasty kitchen habits! Yuck.
DeleteOh, poor Navy and Sara! I've never had food poisoning, but know that it is absolutely the pits from the descriptions others have given. So glad, though, that everyone is okay now. Sweet Laydee - she is trying her best, isn't she? Blessings, Debby!
ReplyDeleteYes she is, Martha. Right now she is laying in front of her wheels. That's a good sign.
DeleteOh my, what a time everyone had with the Raw foods. Very scary but I'm glad things are ok now. I'm not into raw fish either ...
ReplyDeleteLove your Daffys . Nice to have the splash of color on your hill.
We stayed home from church today. Dave got sick last night and we're still trying to figure out what triggered it. Not much sleep but thankfully our Healer finally gave us both rest and we slept in and feel pretty good today. Just taking it slow. Glad we did a big grocery shopping yesterday so we are well stocked and don't need to go out for anything. I haven't shopped for essentials for about 3 weeks and I was in for further "Sticker Shock".. good grief, will the prices ever stop climbing.
One blessing and then I will be done .. We got a raise in our Social Security and found that it was the exact amount that our Kaiser insurance went up monthly. So full of praises because we really didn't know where that money was going to come from.
God is good all the time
and all the time God is good!
Sue
There sure is a lot of sickness going around. Half our church today was out - and we had to vote on something and needed a
Deletequorum and barely made it.
I try to keep some foods stocked for illness except for fresh foods. Sicko foods, like bone broth, and chicken soup. Cough drops, crackers, applesauce and rice. I hope Dave improves rapidly and that you don't get it either!
And YES, God is good all the time!
So happy to hear Laydee took 2 steps... Good Girl, king wagging and rolling. the fish story makes me shiver and shake. No raw meat for me. I don't even like cooked meat all that much except for a burger or fryed chicken or fried shrimp and they all need to be done done done.. I like cucumbers and tomatoes raw and like but don't love carrots. I like celery raw but ONLY full of peanut butter or cream cheese of some kind. not by itself and I pick it out of cooked foods.. I am trying to think of a single raw food I can say I love.. any fruit fits the I love..
ReplyDeleteI don't mind raw fruit or veggies raw but animals or fish? Must be cooked! Apparently the Tuna poisoning is becoming more prevalent with so many eating raw fish. Also there's a lot of mercury in tuna. I love cod, fresh sea bass and halibut. Occasionally canned tuna and that's it. I'm allergic to shellfish which is a death sentence, so I'm careful not to eat fish out due to cross contamination with shellfish. I got bad sick from just a small taste of scallops. My sister, also was deathly allergic to shell fish.Sad, really because my dad used to do ocean fishing, and both mom and dad loved all types of seafood.
DeleteOh dear, the food poisoning doesn't sound good at all!
ReplyDeleteIt's always nice to see daffodils, they are such a cheerful and welcoming yellow.
Good news, and encouraging news, with Laydee and her wheels.
All the best Jan
Not good at all. Yuck!
DeleteI am not a fan of any type of undercooked protein. Glad to hear that Laydee is learning to navigate with her new wheels.
ReplyDeleteNo rush taking it one day at a time!
DeleteOh, that food poisoning story makes me feel ill. I am so sorry for them. That had to be terrible. I don't eat raw foods either and have no desire to do so. Now I know why! LOL. Oh, how wonderful for Laydee! I do hope that works well for her! Can't wait to see the new wheels. And daffodils in January? How wonderful! We don't get them at all here in Florida, sadly, except in a pot at the grocery store in the spring sometime. I always look for them because my sister's birthday is April 5th, and my mother used to put a bouquet of daffodils in the center of an Angel Food Cake for her birthday, when we lived in Pennsylvania, because they were blooming then in April. But when we moved to Florida it became very difficult to ever find them in April anywhere. I bake her cake now, and I have to resort to using artificial ones most of the time. Her 80th birthday is this April, and I'm praying for a miracle huge bouquet of daffodils for her. I enjoyed the pictures of your kitty watching the Bible lesson online, and then your teacher's kitty doing the same thing! What fun. I haven't tried anything like that with Blackie yet, as he is not a full time in house kitty. He's making progress, but I don't know that he will ever become a full time inside kitty. Time will tell. But maybe I should expose him to the Bible lessons, and that might help him become a much better kitty! LOL. Miracles do happen and I believe God's Creation already knows their Creator. Have a blessed week.
ReplyDeleteI remember that tradition with your sister. Why not go through a FTD type florist and have real daffodils delivered to be used for her cake. An 80th birthday is special!
DeleteThat's funny about Blackie.
I too, believe Gods creation already knows their Creator! Thanks for visiting, Pamela. You're comments are always so pleasant to read.
Nope I will never eat something undercooked. I have been known to send a burger back if I see the slightest pink and steak definitely needs to be medium well before I will even touch it.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that Laydee is getting along with the new mobility device.
God bless.
It's precious how much she wants to please us.
DeleteThe food poisoning sounds horrendous. I hope everyone has recovered now.
ReplyDeleteThe wrapping paper is very pretty - it's funny how little things like that can trigger happy memories.
It's good to hear that Laydee is making good progress - it will give her a new lease of life.
Yes that is exactly what we're expecting - a new lease on life!
DeleteAlways risky eating stuff like that. Big no thank you for me too. Sorry they had to go through that. Not fun. Love the pop of yellow! Snow-covered here. No yellow for awhile. So pretty though.
ReplyDeleteOh well. I have always told my boys that these things that happen to us are just another life experience they can use one day to help another or laugh about it.
DeleteSo sorry to hear about the food poisoning. Praying for you all.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Thanks Victor. All is well.
DeleteHi, I am happy everyone is feeling better. Yikes, all this raw food is strange to me. My sister is into it. My aunt had it at a recent birthday party. NO WAY for me.
ReplyDeleteI had to laugh, Ernie our dog, he also likes to listen to the word of God. He sits on my lap when I read the Bible aloud.
xx oo
Carla
Well, they know their Creator.
DeleteSorry about the food poisoning! Our daffodils come out right after winter and they are not out yet - although it is very warm here. Nice you are picking the gal up to take to bible study.
ReplyDeleteThey only have one vehicle and she doesn't live far from me + it's on my way.
DeleteGood to read about the faithful daffodils. I also replanted some bulbs and expected nothing to happen. They are growing nicely. Your tuna tale is unforgettable!
ReplyDeleteI think daffodils are very hard to be able to push through the hard winter group, to be the first spring flower.
DeleteI have never heard of that kind of food poisoning, but it doesn't sound fun! I have eaten sushi a few times in my life but like you, I prefer my food cooked! I won't even eat a hamburger with a little pink in it anymore. That is pretty wrapping paper!
ReplyDeleteI just had a hamburger that was rarer than I like. I ate it but next time if I go back I will make sure it's not that rare. I don't mind a medium rare steak or prime rib but hamburger, no thanks
DeleteOh NO....I do hope that everyone is recovering from the food poisoning. How horrible and I know that those who brought the food feel so bad. It doesn't take long after eating foods that are ruined for the symptoms to begin. My prayers of all. This yellow daffodil...oh my..how beautiful and bright. I only wish they lasted longer with all of their beauty.
ReplyDeleteIt takes about 24 hours - hard long hours to get over it and what remains is now is the aversion to tuna, in all it's forms. Even the smell sets him off now...
Delete