![]() |
| Almond Blossoms |
My husband and I have been amazed at how God has filled our retirement days. We prayed for purpose and direction, and He answered in a BIG way.
I feel I am living my best life right now, and I couldn't be happier. I’m grateful for every opportunity we’re given, knowing that there will come a day when our energy, strength, or health may limit what we can do. My only regret is not stepping into this season sooner. I always had an excuse for not taking on more risks. I wish I could have more good years to pour out what God has so generously poured into me.
Sure, there are times when I think we should be traveling, after all, that was the original plan. But to be perfectly honest, it doesn't interest me at this time. I did pray to God, that I wanted to serve Him in bigger ways than ever before. I finally wanted to step away from excuses and step into what He wanted. More of Him and less of me!
Two days of the week feel like a gentle whirlwind with my husband and I. We're like two ships passing in the night, crossing paths briefly in the morning before heading in two different directions with purpose.
It's all good.
![]() |
| Isn't this fun? |
This week at Bible study, the ladies surprised me with an AI-generated cartoon made from a photo they took of me. It took barely a minute; there it was, and it pretty much captured me right down to exactly what I was wearing. So sweet of them. I love these women God has placed in my life.
I’m truly grateful for my Thursday carpool with Debbie! Each week, we share an hour together—thirty minutes each way before our Isaiah study. Her engaging conversations keep me interested, but I really need to pay attention to driving. She joked that she has a “directional disability,” and yes, this is true. The other day, she had me switching lanes at the last second in busy traffic. By God’s mercy, we arrived safely.
![]() |
| Rosemary in Bloom |
With so many bushes, trees and flowers starting to bud and bloom, I’m starting to envision time spent in the garden this spring and summer, although the blessing of rain continues to dominate the forecast. Yesterday, the windows were open, fresh air moving through the house. Next week promises daily rain.
For Valentine’s Day, the husband and I are leaning toward a brunch, skipping crowded restaurants and leaving evening reservations to young, blossoming love. Brunch feels fitting for us. (much cheaper!) We had hoped to go on a hike, but the weather may force us to switch to plan B.
(whatever that is)
And then woven through all of this is a sorrow that never fully fades.
A photo of my grand-niece and nephew at their mother’s gravesite breaks my heart. Nina, my niece, passed away in November 2020, and now I only see her children through pictures shared by my former brother-in-law on social media that my son grabs for me.
I wonder if they ever think of me?
I am the only one left. I keep a suitcase filled with Nina’s little treasures, photos, and such, and also with my sister's things that I know she would want them to have. Perhaps, one day, they might look for me. Hoping they will want to know more about their maternal family through the small tokens they have left behind.
I can’t visit her gravesite in Sacramento due to their strict guidelines, and that is best.
It's just a grave.
Isn't that just the way life is for some? You have your good, and then you have sorrow, and all of it rests safely in His care. I will remain grateful.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend doing whatever you want.
Until Next time,
Debby







The cartoon is so attractive. You are much loved.
ReplyDeleteThanks I like it too. It makes me laugh!
DeleteThe joy in your friendships and simple plans like brunch feels genuine and well earned. And the tenderness you shared about your niece and her children adds such depth. Grief and gratitude often walk side by side, and you expressed that truth with grace.
ReplyDeleteAww, thanks Melody. God bless.
DeleteI am fascinated that Debby and Debbie have an hour to talk, I had a friend, already in heaven now, that did that to me a lot... at my age, all 6 of my bff's are waiting in heaven for me to arrive and the husband of the friend that died 2 years ago, died yesterday and that leaves ME, last woman standing. Love the AI you and your group, and they sound like a fun group. I love what the AI does with photos on my phone, seems better than on computer. I don't believe that God, cares for ANY ONE race more than another. He chose to come as a Jew, and that makes them the chosen, which can't be changed, but not the only one cared for by God.
ReplyDeleteHappy to be back and find this post to read today
You are so right. Jesus came as a Jew and Israel was chosen to carry the promises and bring the Messiah into the world, but the point of that choosing was always to bless all nations.
DeleteI love seeing the fields of almond trees at this time of year.
ReplyDeleteI do too.
DeleteThat Chat GPT pic is wonderful! It totally shows you joy in what you are doing. You and your hubby have a great testimony in serving God in retirement years and the blessings you are receiving from that.
ReplyDeleteI remember when you niece passed, and I'm so sorry you don't get to see her kids. I hope someday they do look you up. I know they have to wonder about their moms family.
I was amazed at how fast that picture came together.
ReplyDeleteThe children are growing so fast and I pray I will be alive when they start looking for me. If not, my sons will take the " suitcase" and wait.
A cute cartoon pic, Debby. And a thoughtful thank you card. That's so good of your son sharing this photo of your family with you, even though you don't have contact with them. Now, is this your sister's daughter who passed away? That is so dear of you to keep her and your sister's things tucked away safe in a suitcase. Your almond blossoms are so pretty. I bet the almond tree looks so lovely in your back yard. Next week, daily rain in your area? Good to hear. Happy Valentine's Day Debby! A brunch sounds perfect for this special day. : )
ReplyDeleteYes, my sisters only child. She was 28 and the 2 children were 2 years, and 8. They're really growing fast.
DeleteOh yes, I love when the Almond tree starts blossoming. It's so striking. They are blooming all over, as well as all nut and stone fruit trees, like cherries and plums.
Thanks for stopping by, Sheri. 😍
That AI photo of you is fantastic, Debby! What a thoughtful gesture for your Bible study women to make. Maybe, one day, your great-niece and nephew will get in touch with you and yours. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThat's the prayer. They are kept very sheltered.
DeleteSince February is the Love Month I think your post fits perfectly. You have such a loving husband and BSF group. God sure knew what He was doing when He put you together.
ReplyDeleteYour testimony fills me with Joy and I think going to brunch for Valentine's Day is perfect too.
Have a wonderful weekend
Sue
Thanks Sue for that sweet comment. Our anniversary is the 16th. It will be 24 years for us.We're looking forward to our 25th year since we both never made it that long in our first marriage and probably won't make it to 50 years. Lol.
DeleteThat Chat GPT pic is wonderful! You look beautiful and happy. I am not sure about the children and how they exactly relate, but I do hope they seek you out one day. Enjoy your Valentines' Brunch.
ReplyDeleteThey are my grand niece and nephew. Their mom was my niece, my sisters only child. Seeing them once they are old enough, would be heaven!
DeleteYour post is so sweet. Love the AI photo they did of you. How sweet of you to drive Debbie. She sounds nice. Your brunch sounds like a good idea. ((Hugs)) on the losses you have suffered. Yes, the sorrows are so hard. Take care.
ReplyDeleteGrief can be profound for some of us. It's a tough time that we just sort of have to get used to and it does ease up with time. Your Valentine brunch idea sounds very good and so reasonable.
ReplyDeleteHere's something to smile about. When we had been dating for not real long, we were out in the car and decided to get supper while we were out. Gary asked where I'd like to go. I suggested several places but he said, No! I don't want to deal with a waitress! Where can we go that doesn't have a waitress?! Oh, I see. He was basically saying he wanted fast food and not a regular sit down restaurant. It was just part of getting better acquainted with my man!
I will say prayers every night that sooner rather than later your great niece and nephew come and find you.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend, too. I've been having fun with ChatGPT! Family. I think your Valentine Brunch sounds perfect!! xo
ReplyDeleteYour chat pic certainly is cute. I havent played around with it yet but might have to now I keep seeing more of these pics.
ReplyDeleteLove the picture. Such a good feeling knowing you are where God wants you to be. :)
ReplyDeleteYes, that AI photo of you is wonderful ...
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your Valentines Day Brunch.
My good wishes.
All the best Jan
Yeah that AI photo is damn good
ReplyDeleteHi Debby, that AI picture is great. I will have to try it one day. We had a beautiful sunny day in the high 60's. Rain and cold weather is coming in. (Cold for us in SO CA with some days in the 50's!) We are going for lunch for Valentine's Day too. Enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute AI pic of you. They can do anything now with AI and it makes me wonder what is going to happen in the future. Even Google generates AI with its searches now. Happy Valentine's Day. We are not going out at all. Maybe Nina's children will come seek you when they get a bit older. So sad you are not allowed to see them. Take care. Janice
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post and some of it I can relate to. We have found our church and are waiting and praying for God to give us direction as to where we go from here. That is a very cute AI picture of you!
ReplyDeleteBittersweet! I sometimes envy your ability to let go and let God.
ReplyDeleteThat AI 'toon' of you is precious. I'm seeing so many folks climb on the bandwagon and laugh at myself for being nervous. Of what?!?!
I hope you and your hubby enjoyed a delightful brunch!
I am praying for you and your family, and sharing in your grief.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being such a caring person. God bless you always.
Oh Debby. I am so sorry for the loss of the children's mother. That was very sad. Thanks for your visits to Writing Straight from the Heart. I am always so happy to see that you stopped by and commented, too! Hope your week is super.
ReplyDeleteYes, we have a light snow this morning. Forecast says more snow during the week. A drive to Mount Shasta sounds wonderful. I've been wanting to go there so badly, maybe this Spring? If you decide to go, bring back some pictures, and have a safe and fun time. It must be snowing that way too.
ReplyDeleteHi Debby,
ReplyDeleteI am sorry about the loss your family has gone through. I am praying for your family as you go through this time.
I love the AI of you... so fun!
xo
Carla