![]() |
| Source: FORE |
There are signs this year that our lovely lady eagle, Liberty, may not be laying eggs for the second year in a row. As she grows older, much like us, there comes a time when the season of procreation and raising our young ends.
Liberty and Guardian are still very much living their best lives. We continue to watch and cherish their beautiful love story, unfolding in its own time and way. I’ve been following Liberty’s journey for nearly twenty years now, even before I moved here - and it remains just as much a joy today as it was in the beginning. (And for those who may not know, Guardian is her third mate!) She has laid more than 43 eggs in her lifetime.
Only Liberty knows if or when she will ever lay another egg. After all, she has lived more than twenty-six years, and she is, without question, the expert.
What still makes us smile is their enthusiasm for one another. They carry on without the slightest concern for who might be watching, a reminder that life continues in its own rhythms, unbothered and free.
![]() |
There is something about animals and wildlife that has always deeply touched my heart. I have never been able to watch anything where animals are harmed, nor even those Humane Society commercials, without tears. Even if a movie ends happily, I just cannot endure watching it. So I don't anymore. Wearing my heart on my sleeve when it comes to animals has been part of me for as long as I can remember.
And over these past twenty years, what began as simply observing a pair of bald eagles has become something more. When our community gave them names, Liberty and Guardian, somehow they became not just eagles but familiar, known… and loved.
![]() |
| Source: FORE |
And that is why I feel a quiet ache when I think ahead to that Fall day… the one when Liberty may not return.
And yet, I am reminded:
“To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.” — Ecclesiastes 3:1
- This, too, is a season.
- A season of watching.
- A season of appreciating.
- A season of holding gently what was never really mine to keep.
And so, for now, I will keep looking up, grateful for every glimpse, every flight, every moment we are given.





So sad. But for now, they are still together.
ReplyDeleteYes and they are a joy to watch
DeleteI love eagles. Are these eagles by you, or ones you watch on a video cam. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteYes these are our eagles down by the Sacramento River and you can watch them on a video cam.
DeleteThe circle of life is for humans and critters, all living things that breathe. and when we get old we die, so do the eagles and other critters. I cried when I saw Old yeller and did not know he would die or would not have watched it. I know death comes to all that live but I don't want to watch or read about it.. I like happily ever after, bring on the glass slippers ha ha
ReplyDeleteOh Old Yeller - I only watched it once and it tore right through me.
DeleteI don't like sad or mushy movies/books/videos that make me cry. I can't under why people like to make themselves cry.
I think it's wonderful that you have been able to follow the same bird for so many years. Liberty has certainly done her part in ensuring the continuation of the species. She deserves a rest now.
ReplyDeleteIt is special.
DeleteSuch a noble, special pair of eagles, Debby. I had no idea that they even lived that long let alone reproduce! Revel in their beauty and grace as long as they are with you.
ReplyDeleteFrom what I am reading she might have another 5-10 years in the wild - Now Guardian is a lot younger than she is.
DeleteBeautiful creatures. Forty-three years old? I wonder, have they ever had any arguments?
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
If they do, they keep it between them.
DeleteLike you I cannot watch any movie or commercial where animals are hurt or neglected. It makes me sad and depressed. I hope you get to enjoy Liberty and Guardian for a long time yet!
ReplyDeleteSame with me, Jeanette. It's hard to shake.
DeleteBittersweet! Like Sandra's written, the circle of life is painful when examined too closely. I know tomorrow's not guaranteed for any of us, but it still hurts to witness aging -- whether it be an eagle or my furbaby.
ReplyDeleteYes I witness aging with my dog - she has good days and not-so-good days. With the warm weather, it is better for her.
DeleteSuch proud and majestic birds. I think its wonderful that they are the "Redding Eagles" and that the community watches and cares for them.
ReplyDeleteOh, that Circle of Life is hard but is what it is...
Love and Live ... Liberty and Guardian ...
Sue
In a way, it put us on the map! I agree - Love and Live Liberty and Guardian.
DeleteYes, the circle of life happens to all living things.
ReplyDeleteYes it does and you notice it when you are close to it.
DeleteWhat a sweet story! Isn't it amazing how creatures (domestic and wild) can really add fullness and something special to our lives!? No doubt, just as the Creator intended. I'm so happy you have had so much enjoyment watching this pair!
ReplyDeleteExactly Jennifer, just as He intended for us. They have been a blessing to so many
DeleteYou shared information about eagles that I did not know until this post. Birds are not high on my list of interests, but I enjoyed reading this post.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed it Barbara. In my younger days, I can't say I ever really "watched birds" and now we feed them, provide bird baths, and running water and I find myself, watching them all the time. I guess I am an official BIRDWATCHER - although I haven't YET joined a club!
DeleteSuch beautiful creatures and lovely names.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Oh how I was hoping for eaglets this year, however they are majestic birds and I always enjoy seeing them here mid Winter when they come by our river looking for food. Janice
ReplyDelete