Thursday, March 19, 2026

I am not a Gala-type person

 

Source: From their website


There's a fundraiser event tomorrow evening Saturday for the ministry that my husband volunteers with. They're calling it a "Gala." I will be joining this ministry once BSF wraps up for the summer, so it feels like stepping into something new. So when my husband mentioned the event to me, I was instantly intimidated. 

Honestly, I am not a Gala-type person. 

 I could sense the weight of expectation pressing down on me -  a feeling that can be overwhelming when you feel put on the spot. 
I had to buy a dress. I had to buy shoes. I had to dress up. 





Senior Ball 1972

I no longer enjoy dressing up in formal attire. For one thing, it is just too expensive and Itchy, fancy clothes and uncomfortable shoes do nothing for me. Somewhere along the way, the teenager and young adult I used to be, who once loved fashion, shopping, and putting together the perfect outfit… quietly faded into someone who prefers simple, comfortable, and what I like to call "California Casual." 

What happened to me❓❓❓


I still want to look nice, but I no longer feel the need to be the best-dressed in the room. That desire has loosened its grip. There's a freedom in simply being who I am, without striving to impress. 

So when I stood in my closet, looking at a couple of dresses I never really liked and the "mother-of-the-groom" dress from 2020, I knew I wasn't about to go out and buy something expensive just for one evening. I couldn't justify it. 

But it's going to be hot this weekend, and my one dependable sundress has seen better days. So, like it or not, I went clothes shopping.


Which is a four-letter word for me these days


And yet, the Lord has a way of meeting us even in the small, reluctant errands. 


I walked into a little shop, explained what I liked, and the woman there kindly brought out several options. The very last dress I tried on was the one - a white cotton eyelet dress, and something I can wear again. I found a light sweater for the overly enthusiastic air conditioning, and a pair of sandals that felt just right. And I spent less than $100. 

For the first time in years, I actually like what I'll be wearing to one of these fancy events. 

And somewhere in the middle of all that, I felt a gentle nudge in my spirit.


This isn't about the dress.

Events like this can so easily turn our focus inward: 

  • what we're wearing, 
  • how we look, 
  • how we're perceived. 

Before we know it, we've drifted into a quiet kind of self-absorption, all wrapped up in what is, at its core, a first-world concern.

And yet, that's not why we're going.

We're going because there are real people who will be impacted by this ministry. People who are hurting. People who need hope, support, and the love of Christ lived out in tangible ways.


When I think of that, 

Everything shifts.


The dress becomes secondary. My appearance fades into the background. And what remains is the opportunity to be there to support something meaningful, to step into service, and to keep my eyes on what truly matters.


Scripture reminds us:

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves." (Philippians 2:3)

That doesn't mean we neglect ourselves or refuse to look nice. It simply means we hold those things loosely. We don't let them take center stage.

There is a quiet beauty in simplicity. In choosing what is enough. Walking into a room not to be noticed, but to be available.

I think that's what's changed in me over the years. Not a loss of interest but a re-ordering of my heart.

And honestly, I wouldn't ever want to go back.

So this Saturday, I'll wear my simple white dress, bring my new sweater for the chill, and step into that room with a different kind of intention. 

Not to impress.

But to remember why I'm there.

"Lord, keep my eyes on You and on the people You love. Let me be present, not impressive."

Because in the end, that's what truly matters.


Thank you for joining me on my journey with Christ. I'm always growing and learning along the way.
Until Next time,
Debby



37 comments:

  1. Oh, I know what you mean, Debby. I have a fundraiser dinner coming up, and it's true, we need the blouse, the shoes, the jewelry, and it can get pricey, but my event is not as dressy as the one you are going to. It's a more casual thing, where people can dress up or wear jeans, so that's ok with me. I'm glad you found a dress, a sweater, and sandals that suit you, and I hope we get to see the dress sometime. White eyelet is pretty. I also bought a white blouse! I like your Senior Ball picture. Those old photos from our youth just make me smile. : ) I hope you have a fun time at the fundraiser this Saturday. Like you, I don't really enjoy shopping for clothes like I did in my younger days, but it's a great feeling when we find something that works! I hope you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing I checked - It's not Saturday, its Friday evening!
      My first wedding dress was a cotton white eyelet dress with a smocking at the bodice. Really cute.

      Delete
  2. I try to look nice for these types of things, but would much rather not attend as I feel very out of place. I was never one to really dress up, much less feel comfortable doing so. I am glad that you found the perfect dress.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never liked to dress up!! :)
    I'm sure you'll love lovely in your white dress.
    Enjoy the evening.
    You asked if I painted the cards. No, I have no talent painting or drawing. The cards come already made and I just add the round colors to little round dots on the card. It's like coloring by number. ANYONE can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually tomorrow night - good thing I checked.
      Okay so the diamond art is something even I could do? I'll have to check it out. Thanks, Karen.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the perfect dress and I know you will be comfortable and confident wearing something that feels "right" to you. I do hope, however, that you will have your picture taken in the dress and sweater and sandals and share it with us. We don't often have opportunities anymore to "dress up" for special occasions other than church, and that has become a bit too casual in my mind. I still prefer to look neatly dressed rather wear jeans and a t-shirt like so many do. But again, it's not about the clothes...it's about the purpose as to why you are there in the first place, as you also have stated. When we keep our focus on Jesus Christ and His mission, everything else is secondary and not so very important. Still, I believe we should honor Him with our appropriateness and modesty of apparel. So all that being said, I do hope you will share a picture with us. I'd love to see your outfit. It sounds so pretty. Have a wonderful time. Let Jesus Shine through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pamela, I'm too shy to share a photo of myself so I doubt anyone will change my mind. I don't want my photos out on the world wide web. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
      I'm with you on how people dress these days to church - fortunately at my church, because we're an older bunch, we all dress appropriately. The men don't wear suits or ties. But they always look nice.
      Thanks from dropping by. Give Blackie a kiss from me. ๐Ÿ˜˜

      Delete
  5. I can so relate to this post! I am so happy your found a dress and shoes that you like and can wear again! Well done!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I love growing and learning with you, Debby! We are to be about the Lord and not about how we look, but when we dress to honor the importance of an event that honors Him, we should be thoughtful, indeed. I'm reminded of the parable when the man came to the wedding feast not wearing wedding clothes, something honored in the Jewish tradition, and his disrespect got him kicked out because he neglected societal norms. May all we do always honor our God. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way that you do about clothes now. Your dress sounds so pretty, and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this post. Shifting thoughts and such. Very good reminders. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The important thing here is that you will feel comfortable in what you chose to purchase for the evening and with comfort comes the ability to feel relaxed and appreciative of the evening. How exciting for you all to be able to attend this special event. I would love to see photos of you and your hubby all dressed for the occasion..hopefully you will share with us. God doesn't wait for us to feel ready..He gives us the confidence to walk boldly, even when our hearts are trembling. I think that what feels uncomfortable to us is often where God's strength shine the most. Have fun as HE steadies your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate spending money on clothes I will rarely wear, so every time I have to dress up I go into my closet and come out disappointed. I am glad you found something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least now, I have a nice summer dress I can wear anytime. I haven't been pleased with a new dress in years!

      Delete
  11. This really spoke to me—, your honesty about feeling out of place and then finding freedom in simplicity is so relatable and inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Shug's words about God steadying your feet as you enter that room. That confidence will just enhance your time there and will help you enjoy the transition into that ministry with your Hubby. It will be such an exciting time for both of you to share together.
    I'm with you on not enjoying clothes shopping. In fact I really don't enjoy shopping. The older I get the less interested I am in that type of thing. Simple is the word of the day.
    Happy Spring
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just very comfortable and content in my life. Shopping is a drag.

      Delete
  13. I agree with you about clothes these days. My goal is comfort, yet these special events sometimes come along and we must dress accordingly. Your new outfit sounds perfect, but most of all, you'll look great because you have a beautiful attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary and isn't that the truth. Our good attitude will always be the best look for any occasion.

      Delete
  14. It's been years since I felt an obligation to "dress". While I once adored donning formal wear, I'm just not up to that sort of thing anymore. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I was in a real brick-and-mortar shop. It doesn't happen often, but I love discovering 'better' articles of clothing in the city's old, upscale neighborhoods.
    Love this 1972 image of you and your hubby ... and I hope you'll show us a like-kind pose at this year's Gala!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am happy that you found something to wear and it is going to be a great evening for you. I love the words you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never been to a prom, or a party other than a church Sunday school party, never owned a gown or dressy dress. I only know what a gala is because of reading books and watching movies... I think you have the right attitude and will have a lovely time and maybe outshine everyone there.. Have fun and I hope your fundraiser goes really well.. can't wait to see the dress and ha ha on the boy friend, I thought it was your husband also...

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I hear the word gala I think fancy, fancy dress, fancy shoes and fancy people and I am not a fancy person never have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I used to like to get dressed up in my younger days but I always had that side of me, that I now embrace now because its more comfy.

      Delete
  18. I totally agree with you - I am NOT a gala type of person. But I guess sometimes you have to do what you have to do. You got a bargain. Would love to see you in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take a lot of photos of myself so not used to it. Came home after the event and immediately got into my jammies!

      Delete
  19. I hate even going to weddings anymore because I have to dress up. I am so casual...even wear jeans to work. I hope all goes well with your gala. So glad you found something to wear for it. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress