If any rose could symbolize Mother’s Day, it would be a red one. Well, this isn’t exactly red, but it’s pretty close. I spotted them blooming from my bedroom window and voilà, there’s my lead photo for today’s post.
I've been reflecting on Mother's Day and my connection to it. Honestly, I don't feel much of one, except that if it's my day, I want to spend it my way. Since I'm not into fanfare or big celebrations, I'm enjoying a quiet day at home, as usual. I listen to the sounds of my husband working in the yard and the steady hum of the washing machine. I find comfort in the simple, ordinary days of life.
Either everyone left for the weekend or something, because it’s incredibly quiet in my neighborhood. I sat in the backyard, listening to the gentle cooing of doves and watching the finches and doves flutter about - truly a gift.
Here's what's going on in front. The husband is laying the brick - and then next will be the weed barrier and then, finally, the rocks.
We'll buy some roses, plant them in BIG pots, hook them up to the drip lines, and never have to worry about them in our 105+ degree summers.
Like my fake rock? That covers the sprinkler system.
After this is completed, we will overseed and repair our grass lawn - We were going to do sod, but there are so many tree roots - not worth it. If the overseeding accomplishes what we're looking for, it should be fine. If not...it's back to the drawing board.
It's not a big lawn area anymore. Throughout the years, we have diminished much of the lawn area with pavers and rocks. But it is always nice to have a little patch of green grass.
Through it all, Mr. Raven stands guard. I absolutely adore ravens, and there are so many in my subdivision and the surrounding area - it must be their breeding and hunting grounds. My subdivision is even named after them, though I won’t mention the name for privacy reasons.
Shasta Dinner Cruise BOOKED ✔
This boat serves as a floating kitchen where they prepare the meals, and once everything is ready, they bring the delicious food over to our boat, in the middle of the lake, hook up, and unload. We could actually smell the food before it came onto the boat.
This year, Cassie, Sara’s sister, who’s been living with them, will be joining us. She lost her husband last year and moved here to be closer to her sister and start a new chapter in her life. It’s too pricey for Char, and my middle one, Foodie, just isn’t interested. He insists it’s not worth it, even though he’s never been. Gotta love him all the same! 💕
And for those who still remember:
I will take the shuttle!
A beautiful photo of Lake Shasta is a reservoir we are so fortunate to live near. The biggest reservoir in California is Shasta Lake, located in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. It has a capacity of over 4.5 million acre-feet, making it a critical source of water for the region.
Shasta Lake water level as of yesterday
1052.95 feet elevation
The full lake is 1067 feet elevation above sea level.
1052.95 feet elevation
The full lake is 1067 feet elevation above sea level.
That is it for me on this Mother's Day. Just received texts from Char and Navy - (he always sends me his fish photos), and talked with Sara.
It's a good day!
Debby


.jpg)







Hello there - and Happy Mother's Day. I'm glad your day has been peaceful...and you are spending "your way"!:) Thank you for sharing a bit of story on my blog last week. Sorry to know we both grieve a son but it is encouraging when other moms share some of their story. I pray your heart was encouraged, in some small way, today! Blessings to you as we start a new week!!
ReplyDeleteA nice, quiet Mother's Day - just what I like, too, Debby. Shasta Lake is gorgeous! Enjoyed seeing photos of the progress you're making in your yard, too. Have a blessed week ahead!
ReplyDeleteI love your raven!!! I adore crows and ravens too. You are having a nice day. We have a flower bed edged with bricks just like yours!
ReplyDeleteYour Mother's Day was very much like mine. I got calls from the girls, and gifts are on the way, but I spent the day with my son, and loved every minute. Debby, that is the perfect rose picture for Mother's Day. It's just beautiful, and the roses DO look red to me, with a tinge of pink. I smiled when you mentioned your fake rock covering the sprinkler system, as my bird house covers the water pipes in winter. The Shasta Dinner Cruise sounds really nice, and this boat looks similar to the one we went on to get to the Caves. That is such a nice photo of Lake Shasta. I hope you are enjoying this Mother's Day, and I'm lovin' your new blog design. ; )
ReplyDeleteYour lead photograph is beautiful and I enjoyed seeing your others too.
ReplyDeleteHere in the UK we celebrated Mothers Day back in March, but for all those who may be celebrating today my good wishes.
All the best Jan
I love how you choose to spend Mother's Day in a fashion that feels 'just right' to your heart.
ReplyDeleteThat floating kitchen's the bomb!
PS - We've a similar wedge of land desperately needing some TLC. I'll be following!
Happy Mothers Day! A quiet day sounds good, sometimes they are rare. I know this day has mixed feelings for you.
ReplyDeleteThe bricks look nice and I know the cruise will be good.
I'm glad you clarified your plans for the dinner cruise. I was a little concerned when you started the story :-)
ReplyDeleteHarvey bought me yellow roses as that is what I carried when we were married, and he has gifted me with every special day since.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Wishing you a beautiful Monday and happy belated Mother's Day, smiles.
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's Day Debby. Hope the dinner cruise goes well. If memory serves me right, did you not take a tumble one year? We have done dinner cruises on our river before, but the boat stops at a restaurant for our dinner. Then on the way back we have dessert right on the boat while travelling back. Yesterday after going to lunch with my mom, I spent a quiet day by myself with Bob working the store and I loved it. Good luck with your landscape redo. We are also planning something in our yard, but not ready to start yet. Too cold. Janice
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you just the kind of Mother's Day you wanted! The dinner cruise sounds fun and yes, I do remember the last time!
ReplyDeleteThe raven is gorgeous, such an intelligent bird. Your rose garden will be lovely and a built=in watering system is such a good idea, probably essential where you live.
ReplyDeleteYour last sentence says it all for you ... It was a good day!
ReplyDeleteThat's the way it should be. Full of love, fine food and loving memories.
Love the roses too.
Sue
Sounds like a perfect kind of day. Those roses are gorgeous! I prefer that color to the red red rose. I would love to hear about the dinner cruise. That sounds like a fun way to dine! But a peaceful dinner at home is fine too! The pictures of the lake are gorgeous! That is truly a beautiful place to live! Thank you for sharing your day with us. (((HUGS)))
ReplyDeleteI love your raven. :-)
ReplyDeleteOh all the flowers, thank you for sharing.
Happy Mother's Day!
I'm late getting here, but hope you had just the right kind of day!! Me too! Have a blessed week ahead!!
ReplyDeleteThe flowers are beautiful. That is going to look nice in the front yard. That Raven is real? Wow! That dinner looks delicious. Sounds like a lot of fun. That is a beautiful picture of the lake. Hope you have a nice week.
ReplyDeleteI had a quiet Mother's Day
ReplyDeleteI agree with you - I like the way you enjoyed Mother's Day. I can tell you had a very nice day. And my goodness I love all your flowers.
ReplyDeleteNice to see the lake that full. For so long it was a mudhole.
ReplyDeleteYour Mother's Day sure sounds so very relaxing. I have rocks in my beds and I think you all are really going to enjoy them. Such an easy way of having nice beds...I just add pots with flowers to give color.. The best thing we've done when it comes to flower beds. The food looks sooooo good!! My kind of plate for sure. Debby...you live in such a beautiful are...and that lake is so blue...Looks so pretty. I love how your life is so full of peace...
ReplyDeleteHappy Mothers' Day and best wishes always. It's great to celebrate with family and friends. Enjoy your cruise and bon appetit.
ReplyDeleteGod bless always.
Hi Debby, I just have to say your smile is like a ray of sunshine! I had a house full on Mother's day, but I did something that shocked me. I actually fell asleep in my recliner in the living room while everyone was talking and laughing all around me. LOL
ReplyDeleteWell, what can I say I needed a nap...
We have amazing Ravens in our area, so majestic in the color of black looks like midnight blue! Appreciate your blog! And always your sweet comments.
Hugs, Roxy