Let's try this again...
Wednesday was a beautiful but emotional day for me. I felt sad as I said
goodbye to my leadership role and the friends I had made. Each hug and smile
carried both joy and sadness. We will still see each other occasionally in
passing, but it won't be the same. You know us women, we get emotional...I
wasn't the only one stepping down - there were eight of us. Some were
leaving to take on a greater role in their church, others were moving to be
closer to their grandchildren, and some were finally retiring.
I appreciated all the gifts that I received,
and they certainly weren't expected.
It was also Sharing Day - held during both the leaders’ brunch and
with the broader membership. The women took the microphone to share
the remarkable works God had accomplished in their lives over the past
year. Among them were young children, just three and four years old,
eager to thank their leaders -though, truthfully, many simply wished
to hold the microphone. Their tender, heartfelt words brought tears to
my eyes. What a generation of little ones being raised in the Lord,
grounded in the knowledge of Scripture. May they grow and flourish as
they walk with our Lord Jesus.
Needless to say, there was hardly a dry eye in the house.
I had to change my Blogger theme, and I’m not thrilled about it. The problem was caused by auto-pagination, which happens when the post limit is reached due to size, programming, or template settings. I had no idea there were post limits! Some themes don’t have this issue, which makes me wonder about my previous blog. I’ve been reading up on ways to work around it and am still figuring things out, but I’ve noticed that some Blogger themes are definitely more troublesome than others.
The Simple template is the best for stability.
I was using the Soho template with large text and plenty of extra-large photos. I noticed that some of the fonts I experimented with were messing up my posts, and I couldn’t get them to look right. Eventually, it seemed to crash - at least that’s how I interpreted it. Some ideas to make the blog run more smoothly include
- using a jump break (which I’m considering),
- avoiding pasting from Word or Google Docs,
- compressing large images,
- and switching to a different template.
The Future of Blogger
There’s really no future here. The platform hasn’t seen an update in eight years, and they don’t respond to complaints—in fact, they shut off the comments. No one knows what’s happening or if anyone is even running things. Are they just waiting for us to fade away? In the meantime, back up your posts and start exploring another platform now so you can get comfortable with it. I’m not giving up blogging. I’ll find a new spot and just keep checking things out.
That’s it for me today. My husband is out front, digging in the yard, while I’ve spent nearly the entire day trying to figure out this blog. I’m done, and though I’m not thrilled, at least it’s working for now.
Until next time, have a great evening and enjoy your weekend, in case we don’t catch up before then.
Debby
I have to admit I am not sure what you are talking about - I have had my blog for 20 years. But I will still be here.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to try and explain it in easier terms coming up.
DeleteI was a bit concerned as all of a sudden when I went to check out your blog today, it said invited readers only. Got slightly scared about that.
ReplyDeleteMore and more people are mentioning problems with this format. I just do not want to go to WordPress as I am not too sure how that one works and have noticed that sometimes people have to pay for it.
God bless.
I shut it down when I have to redo something and, in this case, to change out my Theme. Wordpress can be free, but it depends on whether you use WordPress.com or WordPress.org, and what features you need. So, for me, that makes it confusing because I always had to pay.
DeleteI'm glad your last day at BSF was such a blessing to you. I know you were a blessing to many there.
ReplyDeleteBlogger has certainly been having issues. I sure hope they don't close it down. :(
I wouldn't be concerned about it. Just back everything up
DeleteI'm sure it was a very bittersweet day for you. Leaving something you have loved and nurtured and seen grow is always hard. However, time will find you plugged into something else in your life that will give you joy and a sense of accomplishment, too.
ReplyDeleteBlogger is not the same as it used to be but it is all I have ever used and I probably won't switch as long as this blogger remains viable.
Have a wonderful, blessed weekend, Debby! Hugs-Diana
I won't switch either, but I will use a back up blog somewhere just in case so I will be ready to go. I'm looking into that.
DeleteI thought it was funny that The Watermark theme - which is what I use- says it's best for 'old style blogs'. I shall just keep fingers crossed that it keeps going.
ReplyDeleteThat is funny. I mean isn't all of Blogger, "old style blogs?"
Deletean emotional post
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of this-limits on a blog theme? that doesn't make sense I have had major issues here as well-I lost my blog but don't know how-I am not a tech person at all-the blog I have now is my third attempt to get a blog working again.
I know of no other platforms except for word press and I don't like that one at all and you have to pay for it which I won't do.
I have had past friends that just have their own blog after blogger but have no idea how one would do that. keep us posted
Happy Mother's Day
Kathy
It's written in the Blog's CSS or I think of that as the Blog's DNA.
DeleteOh gosh! I do hope and pray that nothing happens to Blogger. As far as backing up our posts, how does one do that? I used to put them on a flash drive, but that got so time consuming I just gave it up. What else can you do to back it up? I have bad dreams about losing all of my content... Thank you for the warning, however. Oh, I know your friends at BSF are sad to see you go, and I'm sure you will miss it when it's time to start it up in the fall, but I know God has led you to some other awesome things, and we are here to obey and serve as the Lord directs in our lives...and that often involves change and new things. And we continue to grow in our relationship to Christ as His Holy Spirit fills us and teaches us and leads us onward. That was kind of the exact theme in our Ladie's May Fellowship yesterday. And I guess it can apply to our blogging as well. If God leads us onward to do something different, I am sure He will show us how and what to do. But this is one area I really don't want to have to change... Praying!!
ReplyDeleteThe thing with flash drives is they get old and newer computers may not be able to read the flash drive or photo quality is not good. I learned that the hard way by saving photos - and now I can't see them. In this face paced technology world, it's about updating and more updating to keep current.
DeleteI know you will miss the leadership role and all the friends you've made, Debby, but what great memories to cherish! I'm not experiencing any issues with Blogger, at least for the moment, but I'm grateful that you've made us all aware that there can be some down the road. In the meantime, I'll try to keep my format as simple as it is right now. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteIf you have a simpler theme, you most likely won't. I liked the newer themes - more modern and minimalistic. But the DNA of certain themes have limits which no one knows what they are.
DeleteI have no idea what is going on with Blogger, sigh...sign of the times, I guess. Wishing you a beautiful Happy Mother's Day my friend.
ReplyDeleteSame to you Linda
DeleteI know that this had to be such a bittersweet day for you. It's hard to let go of things when our hearts are so dedicated. I have considered changing from blogging many times, but truthfully, I am not very good at understanding unfamiliar formats. I see so many different ways to go but I'm just not tech savvy enough to feel comfortable. Happy Mother's Day weekend Debby...I hope your weekend is full of so many sweet blessings..
ReplyDeleteThank You Shug and Happy Mothers Day to you as well.
Delete'Parting is such sweet sorrow' - but your memories will sustain you.
ReplyDeleteThis is true!
DeleteA bittersweet day for you and I would have shed tears too. I will continue with Blogger as long as possible. Picturetrail went away and I am not sure about Wordpress. Janice
ReplyDeleteWordpress is in the top 10 for blogging so it's still there.
DeleteGood Morning, What a blessing to have such a close group to study and grow together!
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about how to back up all my post! I may need some professional help Ha Ha! I have heard of people just losing their whole blog, I will be looking into this! Hugs, Roxy
It was a sweet day.
DeleteI just uploaded a post on how to back up your blog.
What an exquisite time you shared! I can only imagine the impact you and others' have made on those little children's hearts.
ReplyDeleteLike others have mentioned, I'm really apprehensive about Blogger's rumblings. (Clueless, too!) I need to find how to back-up my blog and will definitely be following!
Look for Saturdays post - I showed you how easy it is
DeleteI'm sure your leadership was a blessing to everyone involved! I'm nervous if Blogger quits. I'm not really computer savvy when it comes to blogger and I worry about losing all the posts I've done over the past 20 years! Have a blessed weekend!
ReplyDeleteDon't be nervous - just back it up. Read Saturdays post
DeleteThis is all so troubling to me. I am so Non-techie and don't understand all the digital language. I hope things remain the same as they have been for me since 2006.
ReplyDeleteI think my sentiments are the same as Shug's and Mevely. I need a new computer/laptop desperately Hope a few good sales on eBay will bring that about. I'm praying it does.
How Bittersweet is your time from BSF. I love how you put your entire self into what ever you do. Praying for the next chapter.
Sue
Oh Sue, don't let it trouble you. Gosh I didn't mean to upset so many. I know change is hard for many of us but it really isn't as hard as you think. Read my Saturdays post - it's easy to back up your blog and you can get one of your sons to do it for you.
DeleteIt's not worth getting upset over and I'm sorry that it troubled you. You're a dear and I wouldn't want to do that intentually.
I've been blogging since 2008, and have seen a lot of changes in Blogger. Maybe I'm sticking my head in the sand, but I'm confident the current issues will work themselves out.
ReplyDelete