Friday, November 8, 2024

This and That

When I was gifted this charming little black lab wine bottle holder, I instantly connected—it reminded me so much of Laydee during her puppy days. Instead of filling it with a bottle of wine, I've started a tradition of having "Puppy" balance seasonal treasures or holiday-themed items. 

As the seasons change, so do the little artifacts that Puppy holds. Whenever guests come over, they are drawn to see what Puppy is showcasing. From miniature baseballs, footballs, and basketballs to other seasonal symbols, each piece captures the spirit of the moment, adding a playful touch. From Dreidels to Christmas ornaments, it's fun to change things up.


So...how's everyone been? 


I'm good - I've just been doing my thing. Wednesday unfolded into a nice day for Bible study. As we gathered, the conversation naturally flowed toward the election outcome, and we're not supposed to get into politics - we are there to study the Bible. In our study of Daniel, we noted the recurring themes of God's sovereignty over nations and the rise and fall of kings throughout history. Each passage echoed the notion of kingdoms shifting, connecting our discussions to God's divine plan and current events. So, it worked out well and was enjoyable. 

On Thursday night,  I was jolted awake by a wave of dizziness. After a few moments of trying to shake it off, I decided to get out of bed. After about 30 minutes, I still felt mildly nauseous, so I went back to bed and slept for three hours. When I got up, I felt perfectly fine. Strange. 

Today Foodie and I went out together. Spending time with him is always enjoyable for me, and he always makes me laugh. His 44th birthday is the 23rd. 





I baked a pumpkin pie the other day. It was so good. 





Our Fall colors are peaking, and here I am with no photos to share. 

Maybe tomorrow. 


November is already rushing by at warp speed. After a two-year hiatus, I’m hosting Thanksgiving this year. This week, I will craft my grocery list and start buying. I'm not that into turkey, but the rest of the family is. My favorites are mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing—oh, and pumpkin pie! I buy a small turkey so that it feeds us for that evening only. Anything left over I give to the kids. I don't like my refrigerator smelling like a turkey! 

If I can help it, I won't have leftovers—then I will eat either Italian or Mexican food for the next two days! I used to love turkey as a child, but about 20 years ago, I started not enjoying it as much as I once did. 

If I could taste my Mom's Thanksgiving dinner again, I'm sure I would love it.  


What are your favorite side dishes you always have at Thanksgiving?


Until Next Time,

Debby


 

26 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea for the puppy! Now you MUST show him every time you change him!! Hmmm, I always like cold thinly sliced turkey sandwiches with mayo the day after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like thinly sliced Turkey or ham sandwiches too with mayonnaise! Yum.

      Delete
  2. No fall colors here in Florida, sigh. I love baked mac and cheese for a side, it's a southern thing, lol. Not quite sure what we are doing this year. Wishing you a beautiful Saturday, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite side has to be gravy and dressing! That puppy is the cutest thing, and I think you've found a clever way to use it for the different holidays. Blessings, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THAT LAB, and would not have known it was a wind bottle holder. I love the idea of seasonal items, this is just to cute for words. I also love big black dogs.. and puppies. I like turkey if I don't have to cook it and have never in my long life cooked a turkey. when I married Bob at age 40, he wanted turkey. I said if you want it you cook it. he said how hard could it be. he did it and until 2006 when our kids all moved away and no longer came to eat, we have not had turkey. we eat out or I put a pork roast in crockpot. my mothers table groaned with food for TG and Christmas, same menu for both. we both love leftovers and when I cook, I make enough for 3 days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Port roast always sounds good. I don’t mind leftovers; it’s the turkey leftovers. It takes so much room in the refrigerator and I don’t like the smell of it in my fridge.

      Delete
  5. What a cute dog statue! If I came to your house I would certainly be looking to see what it was holding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my sons dropped by one month when I hadn’t yet displaced anything and of course he told me about it! lol

      Delete
  6. Debby, that dog is the cutest. What a great idea to place different things for each holiday in his arms. The pumpkin is perfect. I'm sorry you felt dizzy and nauseated, that is the worst feeling, but I'm glad you felt good when you woke up. I wonder if you were hungry? I love that little Harvest wishes stand. I know you don't have too much Fall stuff out, but what you do have out is very unique. Well, I love a good Thanksgiving dinner, and all the sides are part of the meal, so I don't have a favorite, but I think it's not Thanksgiving dinner for me without the cranberries. Your pumpkin pie sounds wonderful. And your "this and that" posts are always a delight to read.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did feel hungry. My son thinks I don’t eat enough calories. He’s the dietician.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea displaying the different items the puppy holds.
    My favorite side dish is sweet potatoes but they have to have marshmallows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my. Yes my husband and his daughter love it with marshmallows and all.

      Delete
  8. That 'puppy' is adorable, and yours is such a great idea to jazz it up with the seasons.
    Aside from cold turkey breast on dark bread with lots of mayo, I'm not a fan of turkey either. I'd hoped to serve beef brisket but was out-voted. We're going to let Publix do the cooking, however ... and send what's leftover home with my kids. My fav side-dish would probably be creamed spinach. Right there with you on Mexican food after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the puppy with the pumpkin! So cute! I am sorry about your dizzy spell, but glad it went away. I get those sometimes and it usually has something to do with my inner ear. I take a dramamine (motion sickness medicine), and it usually takes care of it, but it makes me sleepy, so I have to stay in bed. But it works. Thanksgiving dinner, you sound like me. I am not that crazy about the turkey either...just the sides. I like stuffing and giblet gravy, mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole. Vegetable...I prefer NOT to have green bean casserole, but plain green beans or squash is fine. Pumpkin pie is a must, but that's enough of that for me too, oh, and cranberry sauce. And rolls and butter. Ouch, my tummy hurts just thinking about it all, but it's only once a year. We will be hosting just for our immediate family and whoever we may invite from church who needs a place to go. Not sure if we will get together with extended family during this time or not. Everyone has difficult schedules. So we shall see. It was a great week, and I like how your Bible study handled the election discussion. Very good! Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did take a Dramamine, and I slept it off. I never cared for green bean casserole, but my daughter-in-law loves it, so she always brings it. I have to admit, I like hers! My tummy hurts, too, when I think of all the food. When I was young, I could out eat any man - I had a huge appetite and was a small person. Now, I tend to pick - and hate that "full" or "stuffed" feeling. I stop before that comes on.

      Delete
  10. Debby, your little black puppy is adorable and how nice that you can display numerous things in it's paws for whatever season is happening. I do not like turkey either. Actually, I'm not a fan of meat in general...And...like you, I don't enjoy having leftovers in my refrigerator . I try to send them all home with the kiddos. My family likes for me to fix pistachio salad as well as sweet pot casserole for Thanksgiving. These two dishes are almost always on the table. Thanksgiving will be here soon and I need to get buy grocery shopping. Isn't it weird how the dizziness can come on and go away so quickly? I have had that happen as well and my doctor explained to me that little crystals get in the tubes of a ear, which causes the dizziness...Until that crystals falls out of the tube, we can be dizzy for any length of time....I always try the Epley maneuver and it helps. Hope your Sunday is refreshing and restful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like good meat, so I spend a little more by buying local meat grown and raised here in Shasta County. There is nothing worse than subpar grocery store meat!
      The dizziness was strange - it woke me from a deep sleep. I don't know what the Epley maneuver is but I'm looking it up. Fortunately, I don't have this all the time. I do tend to have low blood pressure and have passed out so who knows? I'm not that concerned unless it is happening all the time

      Delete
  11. An awesome idea for the black ab puppy. Look forward to seeing more of what she is balancing. Although I do not host Thanksgiving, my favorite sides are our family's homemade cranberry sauce, and my mom's dinner rolls. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I at first thought the puppy was real. Make sure you post pictures every month of what she is playing with.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks like CA is number 1 and FL is number 2 in the most living war veterans. I love every single photo today, they are so beautiful and handsome, thanks for sharing and thank you to all of them for being there when we needed them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here and commenting. Please allow a few hours for your comment to be moderated.

Only those who have a Google account will be able to comment -


A short Update From My Shasta Home

I thought I’d pop over with a short little update about what’s been going on this past week, if you haven't yet ventured over.  From My ...

Blog Feed from WordPress