Before I get to the post, I wanted to provide a brief update on the progress we're making with the yard project.
The front rock landscaping is complete, giving the area a polished look with no weeds! We had just enough materials for this side. Next, we’ll finish the brick edging and focus on potted plants and seasonal flowers for color. Additionally, we need to finish the painting of the wood trim around the windows to enhance the home's curb appeal.
We've bought the drip nozzles and lines for the sprinkler system, which will streamline our watering and help maintain a nice yard with less effort as we get older.
I still need to disassemble and reassemble the old side table, but I'm making progress. I plan to finish painting it, front and back, by the end of June.
Now on to the post
The Strength of Family Pride
![]() |
| Nannie |
On her wedding day, as she stood on the cusp of a new life, her nine children and thirty-three grandchildren were merely a twinkle in my Grandpa's eye. At just 18 years old, she was a devoted young woman from the eastern Tennessee mountains, whose roots were deeply intertwined with the land. She married a coal miner, a man whose hands bore the strength of hard labor. Throughout it all, she maintained a profound steadfast faith in the Lord, which grounded her in the midst of life's challenges and joys.
She devoted herself to raising her children in the ways of the Lord. Yet, as life often reveals, all nine of them would stray from the path, lured by their own interests and temptations. That must have hurt her. After Grandma passed, a quiet transformation took place; one by one, her children, found their way back to the faith that she had so fervently nurtured. It was a silent testament to her enduring influence, but not without a twinge of sorrow. During those years of wandering, her children had not raised their children, to love Jesus as she had hoped.
Although I may not have been as fortunate as others to share her everyday company, her presence loomed large in my heart like a beacon of love and wisdom. There was always something about her. Each summer, our family would return. I began the sweet exchange of letters - Those precious notes, beautifully penned in her handwriting, overflowed with heartfelt advice and warmth—a guiding light urging me to reconcile my spirit with Jesus before the trumpet sounds and calls us home. With gentle reminders, she inspired me to prepare for that glorious moment of meeting Him in the air, a thought that was foreign to me.
As the years passed, all of us cousins found ourselves traversing the landscape of adulthood, and most of us have gradually awakened to the Jesus we weren’t taught about growing up. Yet, deep within my heart, I recognized that my Grandma’s prayers resonated through the years, and He, in His infinite compassion, heard her heartfelt cries for her grandchildren.
Terry with Kay Arthur who was a mother figure to her throughout her journey
I’ve mentioned my cousin, Terry, before. She’s a Christian author and the host of a local TV show in Nashville, Tennessee, where her passion for the Lord shines brightly. She is one of my cousins whom Grandma prayed for. Every time I see her, I can’t help but feel that Grandma is smiling down, tears of joy streaming down her cheeks, pleased with all that Terry has accomplished in service to God.
Yesterday, I stumbled upon a recent interview that took me completely by surprise. Typically, she occupies the role of an interviewer, expertly steering conversations with her grace and poise. However, this time, the tables were turned; she found herself in the hot seat, offering a candid glimpse into her journey. With each revelation, she unveiled layers of her experiences that I had never heard before, illuminating her path with authenticity.
I couldn't be prouder of her. From the very beginning, I knew she was truly exceptional. As a member of a triplet trio, she shared a unique bond with her two brothers that is unlike any other. Recently, she faced the heartbreaking loss of one of her brothers. In this challenging time, her strength and spirit shine even brighter, reminding me of the incredible person she is.
It is the first half of the video.
One of her books
As many of you are aware, I haven't been blessed with the joy of grandchildren. However, I know that several of you have experienced this wonderful blessing, and I sincerely hope that you are embracing your role as a praying Grandma.
Understanding the significance of prayer in a child's life is crucial; it is truly one of the most profound and cherished gifts you can offer to your grandchild(ren). Your prayers can be a guiding light, nurturing their spirits and shaping their paths as they navigate through life’s journey.
.
Grandma: "Church is essential."
Grandma's child - "Church is optional"
Grandma's Grandchild - "Church is unnecessary."
Great-Grandchild - "Jesus, who?"
I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.
2 Timothy 1;5





This is good Debby. My maternal grandmother died when I was 3 and my paternal grandmother lived with my aunt and her family. for this reason, I never had the opportunity to spend much time alone with her. I have always tried to be a praying wife, daughter, mother, grandmother and now a great grandmother. I have many conversations with all of them about God and they all know that I pray for them all of the time. Our whispered prayers at dawn or in the middle of night are very important.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely testament to your grandmother and cousin!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post Debby. Your grandmother is smiling down on all of her family. Janice
ReplyDeleteWow Debby, this is so touching and encouraging, especially for those of us who have kids not attending church. And what a great reminder of the importance of praying for our kids and grandkids. Thank you so much for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely story you shared about your grandma, Debby. Nine children, that's incredible. I know her prayers for her family were heard, and how special that her loved one, Terry, became close to the Lord. It is important as a grandmother to say prayers for her children and her little ones, and I do just that each and every day. That must have been difficult for your grandma when her own children strayed, but it would eventually please her so when they found their way back to their faith.
ReplyDeleteYour front porch area is coming along nicely. I can't wait to see what you do with that little table. It has a lot of charm and potential.
~Sheri
I found that extremely interesting. Your grandmother looked like a hard worker - nine children.
ReplyDeletethis story is so much like Miss Axie, a woman in DeWitt Ky, from my child hood. Daddies small church had many women like your grandmother, but Miss Axie had 12 children and back then 36 grands and great grands, somewhere in our photos is a picture of all of them in 1954.. most are long dead including all my family except my brother and a few cousins.
ReplyDeleteSuch a touching tribute to the power of prayer in your family's legacy, Debbie. I'm trying my best as a grandmother to do the same for my grandchildren, and being far away from them, I realize that prayer is the very best way to touch their lives and hearts with Jesus' eternal truth. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteHow your words have touched me, Debby! Tho' our lives -- and that of my parents -- were vastly different, I believe I'm here solely due to my Grandma's prayers. While she never spoke openly about Jesus -- think tight-lipped Lutheran -- I've no doubt she loved the Lord with all her being. Thank you for sharing her with us!
ReplyDeleteI never really knew my grandparents but I do know they were founded in the bible and church. I am so thankful for my strong christian parents that showed me how to live.
ReplyDeleteYour cousin Terry is lovely and lives her faith just as you do now. Thank you for sharing the video clip and her book. Valuable tools.
Sue
I also found this really interesting, my nan was a very religious person and so was my mum in her younger days as in being regular church goes, damn so was I a regular church goer in my younger days. When my grandchildren started school there was a part of the enrolment form about scripture classes and if you consented for them to attend. Since I was involved with Leo's enrolment I ticked yes his mum said no as she wasn't into religion, I said that was fine but as she attended Sunday School as a little one she made and informed decision and that's what she be offered to Leo, she changed her mind and agreed, saying I was right. I don't force my believes on my grandchildren but I do expose them to them. If that makes any sense.
ReplyDeleteI never met my maternal grandmother, she died long before I was born. While Mom and Dad really did not attend church, they always made sure us children traveled down the road to the church at the end of our street. I attended Sunday School until the end of Grade 11 when we moved. I have a feeling I would have continued to attend up until I graduated from high school. There were 5 of us that went through every year together, Margaret, myself, the two Kens, and Brian. I remember those days with fondness.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
The prayers of mothers and grandmothers are so important!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this story. I needed the reminder about praying for our grandchildren. I have just one, and he is going on 26 years old. We are far apart in distance and a little bit estranged. I keep praying that God will awaken his heart to Himself. His father was our son that died when Noah was almost 15. Noah's early years were filled with the love of Jesus, taught to him mostly by his father. Although his mother is a Christian, I feel that she has wandered a bit off course since our son's death, and she has also not kept up the strong example for Noah that our son was. We don't communicate often, and usually it's only when I initiate it, but I keep praying he will want to stay in touch with us and also draw back closer to the Lord. I know God hasn't forgotten him, and He won't ever let him go. But Noah has to discover that himself. So I do pray every day, but maybe I need to do more. Thank you for this reminder. This was a great post.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting this -- very encouraging. And it gives me hope. And a reminder to keep on praying.
ReplyDeleteThank you Debby, this is another fantastic post. We have a family friend who has gone far far far away from the Lord. It is a very bad situation. His mom happens to be one of my best friends. So to watch her pain is just awful as he continues to make awful life choices.
ReplyDelete