It's around 10:00 am, and we have just reached Castle Lake, located west of Mt. Shasta and close to Lake Siskiyou.
This morning, I felt a spark of excitement for a "senior" adventure! So, Pa, our senior dog, Laydee, and I climbed into the old car and headed a bit north.
The weather was simply too glorious to stay home. The recent storms left beautiful snow on the mountains, and I always love to witness it for myself.
What a perfect day to explore and soak up the stunning scenery.
With temperatures around 39 degrees, at the lake, the shade felt a bit chilly, but in the sun, we were perfectly comfortable! I wore a sweater with a furry vest, the perfect combo for our adventure. I prefer lighter layers, especially knowing it would warm up as we hiked.
While the snow may not be piling up just yet, it's on the horizon! After all, we're in the midst of the beautiful fall season, and you can almost feel that chilly excitement in the air.
Get ready for the winter wonderland that's just around the corner!
It was 2011, and a magical scene unfolded as the lake lay blanketed in a thick layer of ice. The world around seemed to pause, creating a serene winter wonderland about an hour away.
For someone from the Bay Area, this was really different to me.
![]() |
It’s been since 2011 that we had the chance to venture up there in the winter - and to think this was supposedly a drought year! 😉 |
Laydee bravely stepped into the icy water.
Labs have an undeniable passion for water, and if we hadn't stopped her, she would have eagerly leaped in for a swim!
Several families showed off their cheerful Christmas sweaters and captured a moment with their cameras. Perhaps holiday photo cards are in the works! My husband even snapped a picture of one family against this festive backdrop.
Let's follow this trail...
Glistening patches of ice scattered like jewels across the ground.
I just spotted my very first snow patches of the season!
WARNING: cozy winter months ahead!
☃
I encountered something on the trail today I don't see all the time - needle ice! For those of you living in the northern regions, this might be a familiar sight during winter.
So, what exactly is needle ice?
It forms when soil temperatures are above freezing, while the air above drops below 32°F. This causes underground water to rise to the surface through capillary action, freezing into stunning, needle-like columns. Typically, this enchanting process happens at night when temperatures are at their lowest. You’ll often find needle ice along stream banks or soil terraces, creating a beautiful winter spectacle.
Isn’t nature amazing?
A sweet little creek...
Now here's a memory that takes me back to my childhood! Every Christmas, we would venture into the Santa Cruz mountains to chop down our own Christmas tree. In the early years after we moved here, we’d get a permit from the Forest Service to explore designated areas in search of our tree, surrounded by beautiful snow. It was always a fun adventure with our family.
The last time we cut down this perfectly gorgeous tree in the forest, I felt sad. I questioned my decision. The next year, we went to a Christmas Tree lot - and that was fine, but the prices were over $100+, so we finally opted for the convenience and price of an artificial tree, which has become our go-to.
Behold the majestic Pacific silver fur, standing proud and still, a picture of effortless elegance. Its beauty captivates the eye, inviting you to bask in its tranquil presence.
Isn't it incredible how much more beautiful it looks in these natural surroundings than when covered in lights and artificial decorations?
Just like our Creator made it.
I truly wish we had gathered our chairs and simply soaked in all this breathtaking beauty together, but this time, Laydee joined us, and we’re genuinely dedicated to creating an adventure for her, enthusiastically embracing the experience, even if it means sacrificing our own comfort!
Patches of snow lingered on the ground, remnants of the earlier snowfall, but the sunshine promised warmth.































Wow, wow, wow! What a gorgeous day you had with beautiful sights. Isn't God an amazing artist?
ReplyDeleteI've never seen needle ice, that's really cool.
Thank you so much for sharing this. I enjoyed every photo!
Wow I thought for sure you all up north would have seen needle ice. It looks like chards of glass. So glad you enjoyed the photos.
DeleteI so enjoyed taking a ride with you. You live in a very beautiful area. Lots of temperature changes. That first photo was so pretty. Never heard of needle ice. I haven't taken a ride in such a long time. Then coming home and taking a nap - sounds like a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteOh it was! I still feel the invigorated!
DeleteI find myself wondering, day after day, how anyone can stay in California when the state has such corrupt leadership, Debby. Your photos, and lively descriptions of what you can experience in these moments of wonder, tell the story and give the reason. God has blessed you with such beauty that is beyond description. Thanks so much for sharing today. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThe benefits still outweigh the problems - everyone’s priorities are different, the higher paying jobs, the fantastic weather, the laid back lifestyle, and most importantly family ties.
DeleteI agree with you. Nature is amazing. Also, I had the urge to put little Christmas balls on those trees. Have you seen that? People will put Christmas balls on rando trees. What fun.
ReplyDeleteYes I have seen that before. A random tree all decked up. 🎄
DeleteYour photos of this gorgeous place are outstanding! I like the way the trees look so tiny atop the huge mountains. And Needle Ice, I have never heard of it, how neat!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if needle ice has something to do with elevation? I would have thought for sure, you all would have seen it before. We were up around 6,000 feet.
DeleteIsn’t nature amazing? Yes, it absolutely is. I’m from Indonesia and have never been abroad since the day I was born. I hope I can touch snow someday. You took such gorgeous and stunning photos of those amazing mountains and rivers.
ReplyDeleteGreetings, Asep and welcome. I hope you one day you will be able to touch snow! Thanks for visiting, My Shasta Home.
DeleteMount Shasta is AMAZING! to me the most amazing of all these photos are the millions of Christmas trees, displayed with God's Light, the Sunshine. Nothing could be more beautiful and they need no decorations. Charlie Brown made me want him in the living room, but I am glad he is there to grow big and tall. amazing views every where you looked. awesome trip and thanks, I need that
ReplyDeleteMt Shasta is such a vocal point in this area that can be seen for hundreds of miles! I enjoy these mini adventures more than anything.
DeleteShasta Mountain and all of the areas surrounding it are just breathtaking! Your hiking adventure was just spectacular. I have never seen needle ice here in Michigan, just icicles and hoarfrost at times. God's beauty is everywhere in different shapes and forms. As a child my family would go to the tree farm and my dad would cut down our Christmas tree each year. It was always a fun adventure. Janice
ReplyDeleteJanice, It must have something to do with higher elevations? Now I'm curious and will have to do some checking. I'll have to look up hoarfrost.
DeleteWhat a glorious area, with beauty all around.
ReplyDeleteYes it always makes for a wonderful adventure in all four seasons!
DeleteYou have beautiful scenery there. We are slowly discovering little gems in our area, and hope to be back to walking trails next month.
ReplyDeleteThat's great! I love to discover out of the way gems. Hiking is a wonderful exercise - I much prefer to be away from people and towns. Just completely in the great outdoors!
DeleteHow blessed you are to live amongst this beauty, Debby ... and we, in turn, by watching "over your shoulder" here.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a blessed Sunday and new week of Thanks-living.
I'm happy you enjoyed my little adventure. We feel very blessed to be here. Have a blessed Sunday.
DeleteThese are truly wonderful photos of the places you visited, Debby - the lake, the clouds, and Mount Shasta. As I look out my window and see the pines surrounding my house, I am surprised sometimes that I live in such an area. I see those Charlie Brown Christmas trees all over around here, and they make me smile. I enjoyed hearing about all the Christmas trees you chopped down living in Santa Cruz. That's a cool place also, and have been there many times. What a neat picture of the snow on the mountains and lake in 2011. I always wonder if that's what the Falls look like in Winter. I've seen them in every season, but that one. Your sweater with the furry vest sounds perfect for the outing. That would have been a good Christmas picture. Thanks for sharing your day with us. Your lazy Saturday was magnificent to me.
ReplyDelete~Sheri
Thanks Sheri. It was a fun morning.
DeleteAbsolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Have a lovely Sunday my friend.
ReplyDeleteYou, too Linda
DeleteLove the beauty in this post. None of the pictures disappoint...they are all stunning.. How wonderful to have God's creation standing out in beauty, all around you.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't take much to get away and take in the nature. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures
DeleteOh, I love everything about this post Debby. You have such a way with words that I can feel your adventure way down deep in my soul.
ReplyDeleteI have several photos of Mount Shasta and Black Butte too from years ago.
Its such a breath taking area. It does make me very nostalgic for the "Olden Days" as my boys would have said... It seems our days of big hikes and going off the beaten path are coming to an end. Dave just can't walk that way any longer and our poor car isn't prone to long trips ... Boo ...
When I was a child we always bought a live tree to put up in the livingroom.
When Dave and I were married we made the tradition of going to the Santa Cruz area to cut a tree too. The Boys loved it. Great family bonding times. But as the prices went up for cutting live trees and the lot trees were out of sight, we resorted to a really nice artificial tree. It has graced our home for about 35 years. I am putting it up this coming week. Hope the strings of lights will still be working this year.
I love the Charlie Brown trees you saw.
Hope your hubby's back will continue to improve.
Thanks for taking me on your hike. I really needed that.
Sorry for being a Debby Downer this morning. Life changes and we are trying to embrace it.
Sue
Oh Sue, you're entitled to have nostalgic feelings. We all go through that! Yes, life changes happen to all of us.
DeleteMy husband's back is improving and he's following the advice of Dr. Debby. Another week of back rest with lite walking, no heavy lifting and I'm insisting he wears his girdle ( back brace) when he's doing things.
What stunning beautiful photos. A perfect place to walk.
ReplyDeleteI like to wear layers too. Warmer than one warm coat.
I don't like bulky coats or outerwear.
DeleteI love Mt. Shasta and Shasta County! Every trip north or south, we would stay in Redding or Red Bluff. I wonder how many photos I have of Mt. Shasta...
ReplyDeleteYour hike was beautiful!
I bet you have almost as many photos as I do! I love the town of Red Bluff. I like to shop their main st during Christmas!
DeleteMy adventures haven't been as scenic as yours, but I'm trying to get outside as much as possible before the temperatures dip below freezing and stay there.
ReplyDeleteGood idea! I get out in between storms. We're in a dry period for a few days. It's perfect this time of year.
DeleteWhat a marvellous place and wonderful photos. Thank you so much Debbie. Over here we do not have snow - yet; but it is very cold. I really enjoyed this post.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes and God bless always.
Thanks for visiting, Victor. I didn't know that you don't get snow. We rarely get snow at my house - once every 4 years we'll get snow and the town shuts down! But we live close enough to visit snow which is always a treat. Our lab loves the snow as much as swimming so we take her up to the snow, so she can play in it. She sees the white stuff from the car window and starts whimpering. Lol
DeleteThank you for taking us with you, Debby. I must say you live in a most beautiful area.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Thanks Jackie. It truly is and I still am amazed that I actually live here and am not on vacation!
DeleteJust magnificent! God's beautiful creation... Have a blessed Thanksgiving!! Hugs, Roxy
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for visiting. It really is a breathtaking area.
DeleteSuch wonderful pictures they made me smile as I scrolled through, didn't read the post my concentration wasn't happening.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad they made you smile, Jo-Anne! 😘
DeleteWhat an adventure you had. The pictures are all so beautiful. That was some storm in 2011!
ReplyDeleteIt's a beautiful area and yes that year there was a lot of snow and we even had some significant snow in the valley foothills. It was awesome
DeleteHello Friend, thank you for this beautiful post. I enjoyed learning about the needle ice. Your photos are fantastic.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving week.
Carla
Needle ice is really cool - no pun intended.
DeleteSuch beautiful photographs you've shared and yes Mt. Shasta stands so majestically!
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Thank you, Jan. Its easy to take photos with such beautiful views
Delete