I’ve always found the book of Leviticus intriguing. It’s often overlooked because of its detailed laws and rituals, and many will say,
“That doesn’t apply to us Christians.”
But if that’s true… then what does apply?
๐ Book: Leviticus
Author - Moses
Date - 1440–1400 BC,
Leviticus was written while the Israelites were in the wilderness after leaving Egypt, during their early journey with God as they learned to live as His people.
๐ชThe HERO: A Holy God
You'll never hear anyone ever say, “I think I’ll just sit down and read Leviticus tonight.” It’s usually the place where even the most determined Bible-reading plans… slow down a bit.
And yet, tucked right where it belongs, this book quietly carries one of the most important themes in all of Scripture:
A holy God invites an unholy people into fellowship with Him.
That’s really the heart of it.๐
How can a holy God live among imperfect people❓
Leviticus answers that through sacrifice, the priesthood, purity, and obedient living.
There will never be a Cecil B. DeMille movie on Leviticus - because its style and content can feel a bit heavy at times, and it would definitely not be a blockbuster movie! But there is so much here to discover. When we skip over it, we miss a deeper understanding of God’s character and the foundation it lays for everything that follows.
For me, taking on this book felt a little lofty, so I decided once again to use homiletics - breaking it down into themes to better tell the story. And what I found wasn’t just a list of rules, but a framework for a relationship.
God’s Holiness
Leviticus emphasizes that God is set apart. There is no one like Him; His holiness shapes every command, every ritual, every detail.
“Be holy, because I am holy. (Leviticus 11:44)
✝️That call hasn’t changed. In fact, the New Testament echoes it:
“Be holy in all you do.” (1 Peter 1:15–16)
Different covenant, same holy God.
Sacrifice: The Way to Approach God (Leviticus 1–7)
The sacrificial system teaches that atonement is necessary for fellowship with a Holy God. Each offering reveals something about devotion, thanksgiving, and forgiveness.
It’s detailed, yes… but also deeply meaningful. It reminds us that approaching a Holy God was never casual.
And then we read this:
“He offered for all time one sacrifice for sins.” (Hebrews 10:12)
What was repeated in Leviticus is fulfilled in Christ. Completely. Once and for all.
Priesthood: Mediators of God’s Presence (Leviticus 8–10)
The priests modeled holiness and obedience, standing between God and the people. Their role makes it clear that access to God required a mediator.
✝️Which makes Jesus as our High Priest all the more beautiful. He didn’t just stand in the gap… He closed it. He is our mediator.
Purity: Living Set Apart (Leviticus 11–15)
The clean and unclean laws may feel strange to us, but they served an important purpose: teaching God’s people to discern what aligns with His holiness.
It wasn’t just about rules; it was about awareness. A life set apart, even in the everyday.
It’s a powerful picture of sin being carried away, removed, and covered.
✝️And it points straight to Jesus, who didn’t just symbolically deal with sin… He actually took it away.
Holy Living: Where It All Lands (Leviticus 17–27)
Holiness doesn’t stay in the tabernacle; it moves into daily life.
“Love your neighbor as yourself.” (Leviticus 19:18)
✝️That’s not just a New Testament idea. It was there all along.
Justice, compassion, and integrity are the marks of a people shaped by a Holy God.
So no, Leviticus may not read like an action story or a Cecil B. DeMille movie production. No seas are parting or a journey through a wilderness for forty years. Instead, it shows a deeper story. A holy God, A way to draw near, and people being shaped.
✝️We don’t read Leviticus today to follow its sacrificial system because Jesus already fulfilled that. But we do read it to understand why He came… and what it cost.
Leviticus is foundational.
And if we take the time to sit with it (maybe with a cup of coffee, tea... we just might find it has more to say to us than we expected.
Just For Fun


I've read Leviticus many times through the years, Debby, but your interpretation here is the best I've ever heard or read. Thank you for helping me see the deeper message that God is giving us through Moses in this book. I will be contemplating what it means in my life to be set aside by God and for God. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThank you., Martha. I'm glad that you saw the deeper message.
DeleteNow you've piqued my curiosity, Debby. I'm going to set aside time this morning to pick up my Bible.
ReplyDeletePS - That meme is so funny!
It was hard to find a joke or cartoon - I expect it to be harder as I move along.
DeleteIn my later years and journey with Christ, I am amazed (and thrilled) over and over with how the Old Testiment points to Christ. It's all right there for us to see and feel. This is a powerful post!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I am too, Terri. I'm glad you enjoyed the post!
DeleteThis is a God Wink - I was looking for some bible studies to do over the summer - and wallah - there are three. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteWell, there you go!
DeleteThank you so much for the time and talent you devote towards these Bible studies and resumes. I appreciate them.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you.
Thank You Victor. I'm getting a lot out of it myself and enjoy it.
DeleteThank You ... this post blesses me and I think that I have been a bit too casual in my reading of some of the Old Testament. I really never heard the explanation of Leviticus or maybe I have and it just never really "Stuck".
ReplyDeleteI think that I am going to go back into the book and really read it...
hugs
Sue
Aww, that's so sweet, Sue. I believe many of the Old Testament does tend to go over our heads, but when I read it, looking for Jesus it's a whole new read for myself. I get it!
DeleteOh, this is so rich, Debby. Thank you for breaking it down for us and helping us to see the bigger picture of what God was demonstrating for His people through the law and the Atonement. It really helps us to see Christ, and what His sacrifice for our sins was really all about. We really can't fully understand the New Testament without a knowledge of the Old. They go together. The New wouldn't make much sense without the Old. Thank you for making it so easy to comprehend. I appreciate you sharing this with us.
ReplyDeleteThank you Pamela, that means a lot to me.
DeleteHmm, your interpretation of this book is almost identical to what my favourite priest said.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Wow. He must use Homiletics too! ๐
DeleteGreat devotional. We're to be in the world, but not of it.
ReplyDeleteI love your approach to the books of the Old Testament - so clear.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post. Leviticus is one of those books to always take a back corner. Thanks for bringing it out in the open. Janice
ReplyDelete"...teaching God’s people to discern what aligns with His holiness." Reading Leviticus is fascinating in several ways. In addition to making us aware of what holiness is, we learn much about the customs of that day and (thank God!!) have much for which to be thankful in how good hygiene is accomplished today!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing.
ReplyDeletersrue.blogspot.com
I love how you bridged the gap between the Old and New Covenants. Most people see the 'clean and unclean' laws as just ancient hygiene, but you’re so right. It was about awareness. It taught the Israelites that every tiny detail of their lives mattered to God. Seeing Jesus as the fulfillment of the Day of Atonement makes Hebrews so much more powerful. It’s not just a list of rules; it’s a map of God’s heart. Thanks for breaking this down so clearly.
ReplyDelete