It's been a while since I have done a This or That - which, for me, is just a bunch of little things that add up to one big THAT.
Meet my Co-Pilot
A couple of weeks ago, we replaced our computer. This one has what is called a "CoPilot," which is a built-in AI. I call him Maverick.
Like it or not, we all use AI every day.
If you have a smartphone, guess what? You're using AI all the time! Even a simple Windows or Mac computer incorporates AI. Every time you browse the internet, you’re interacting with AI, and even when you check out at stores like Walmart or Costco, AI is working behind the scenes. Plus, these days, all standard cars come with AI safety features. Banks also rely on AI to keep your accounts secure.
You might not think about it, but even everyday appliances use AI, like smart thermostats that learn your routine or doorbell cameras that spot motion. We have a smart refrigerator, and so I hadn't really thought about it. My son's home is run by AI. His sprinkler systems, lighting, and his new stove they recently bought -
AI is already part of so many things in our lives:
- our phones
- our computers
- our cars
- our banks
- our TVs
- our shopping experiences
- our home security systems
AI is everywhere, quietly making things easier for us!
And you know who pointed this all out to me???
Yep, my Co-Pilot, Maverick.
I just realized that Mother's Day
is this Sunday!
It always sneaks up on me.
Everywhere you look, there are beautiful flowers and potted plants, and it’s really tempting to bring them all home. I did grab one plant already, and I want to stop by again to pick up an African violet before the weekend. I chose #4, a cute little plant in a coffee cup, for my garden window. I can’t remember what it was called, and right now, I don’t want to bother Maverick about it!
Isn't this a cute idea? I saw this at a gift shop - a good gift idea.

Susie is doing well these days! Since Laydee passed away, she’s made some changes to her eating habits and is actually eating more. It seems like she’s finding her groove! She used to turn her nose up at wet food, but now she’s taken a liking to it. You just never know with her! I can't tell you how many times I've stocked up on wet food, only for her to enjoy it for a few weeks before completely ignoring it. Then it goes to my grandcats, Ed and Harry!

For the first time, we had a full house; birdhouse, that is. We’re not sure what kind of birds they were, but we heard the babies, and boy, were they loud. Then one day, silence. Last evening, we spotted several tiny birds on the Twin Cedar.
My husband dug out the area beneath the living room window, where we’ll lay a weed barrier, install drip lines, and add rocks.
We plan to put in roses in a pot. We already know roses grow well in this area.
The rocks were delivered about a week ago, and I immediately noticed they looked a different color, like an ugly brownish, which had me frustrated, thinking I’d just have to “live with it.” But once my husband hosed them off, it turned out to be nothing more than rock dirt. Who knew rocks could get dirty? The ones I have already never look dirty. Must have been at the bottom of the rock pile.
I picked this up at Costco; it’s sturdy and not plastic, so it should finally be strong enough to hold my ceramic bird bath. We searched everywhere for just a pedestal, but the few we found were ridiculously overpriced. At $39.99, this was a bargain. We’ve set it in place, but haven’t put the bird bath on it yet.
I think I’ve accomplished my goal by tackling a few items that had been sitting in my This and That file.
ππππ
ππ
Tomorrow is going to be a busy food day with back-to-back fellowships! First, I’ll be at our last leaders' fellowship brunch, and I’m bringing a plate of cottage cheese topped with fresh strawberries and blueberries, along with some crunchy Chia seeds sprinkled on top.
After that, I’ll be heading over to Kim’s place - she’s the new leader taking over, and she’s preparing a BIG, fresh salad of greens for everyone. We were asked to bring some veggies, so I’m contributing green onions and a mix of sliced red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, plus, you guessed it, some more Chia seeds!
I know this is a lot more food than I usually eat, but it just worked out this way.
Thanks for stopping by. I always appreciate it.
You all take care.
Debby
I loved your This and That post, Debby. What a fun way to catch everyone up with the latest in your world! I also liked that you named your AI Maverick. LOL! I guess we do use AI every day even when we don't realize it. What I don't like about it is when my phone "listens" to me. I can mention something to Danny or vice versa and before I know it, ads about some related product will pop up. I find that just a bit disturbing, but that's life in the fast lane, right? Blessings!
ReplyDeleteI turned off Siri from my iphone. We also turned off the voice recognition features on our smart tv. There are just some things I don't need.
DeleteActually my husband pointed out I should have named Copilot, Goose as Tom Cruise is character was the pilot and Goose was the co- pilot. He's right...π
We might hate to admit it, but our loving husbands are correct so many times. LOL!
DeleteYes and they know it!
DeleteOooh, Tom Cruise was so good looking when he was young! Actually, our youngest son Scott looked a lot like him when he was young. As he's aged, not so much, plus Scott is taller...he always reminds me of that when I say he looks like him. LOL. Oh, how sweet that you had baby birds in your birdhouse. Our Bluebird couple is building a new nest now that the first batch of babies already moved out. At least I assume it is the same couple...it may be a different one. They kind of all look the same! LOL. I love all the pretty flowers for Mother's Day. I used to have some nice African Violets at our last house, but I don't think I have the right window for them at this house. They tend to be finicky about windows and whether it's morning sun or eastern light or something like that. They remind of me of my mother, as she always had some beautiful violets. Your luncheon(S) sound really good. We have a ladies' luncheon this Friday, a soup and salad lunch...and I need to take one or the other. I haven't decided yet which one I will do. To me it's already too hot for soup. I enjoyed your "this and that". I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week.
ReplyDeleteI used to have good success with African violets until I moved. They are particular where they go. I'm going to give it another try. Just hope Susie doesn't eat them. I plan to place them in my northeast facing garden window. I don't have any 100% east facing windows. I could get a grow light...we'll see how it grows. Yeah soup doesn't sound appealing in hot weather.
DeleteThanks for visiting, Pamela.
I think your assistant is pretty cute! :) And Maverick is a great name for an assistant.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this and that. I can't believe Mothers Day is coming up already too. Our moms are in heaven so I find I don't think as much about it because I don't have to plan on what to do to honor them.
The salad for your BSF group is such a great idea with everyone bringing veggies to share.
That's the same with me on Mothers Day. All our moms have passed on. It's like I know its coming but then it catches me by surprise. Anyway I'm not comfortable with Mothers day so we have nothing planned and I'd like to keep it that way.
DeleteI laughed at your "Co-Pilot." I just watched Tom Cruise in The Mummy recently. It seems he never ages, still looks handsome as ever. Oooo, those tiny pink flowers are so pretty. I'm glad Susie is doing well. This is such a great photo of her. Your birdhouse is so charming, love that. I noticed the picture of the dinner cruise on your side bar. Did I miss something? Will you go to the caves this summer? Debby, you know how much I enjoy your "this and that" posts. It's delightful to see the little things that are happening in your world, as sometimes they can be the most special. Have a sweet May week.
ReplyDeleteNo caves this year for me but yes, we'll be taking the dinner cruise with my son and his wife.
DeleteHey did you hear? May 15, the state will start taking reservations to get into see Burney Falls? Monday through Thursday it will be free. Its a pilot program - record amounts of people visit causing traffic and littering - just need more control and only a limited amount will get in. Once the parking is filled, they'll you back.
Should be interesting. We've always gone during a weekday. Times they are changing.
Those blooms are so pretty. Love those stones.
ReplyDeleteThe flowers were just so pretty. I stood there for the longest time just admiring them.π·πΈπΌ
DeleteLovely this and that. We got some rocks dumped once that looked terrible, but like your Hubby, Harvey washed them and they were just lovely. All sorts of colours.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I was worried. How do you return rocks???
DeleteOh and I have Co-pilot on my computer and never thought of naming it. Cute.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
π
DeleteSuch pretty flowers!! I enjoyed your This and That post!! My cats are finicky, too. I gave away about 20 cans of wet food a few weeks ago. I just wish they could talk to me! LOL
ReplyDeleteThat sure would make things easier!
DeleteI guess we use AI more than I thought. I am so glad your rocks turned out to be just dirty. Those books and the way they were wrapped at gifts was so unique. Tom Cruise was so young there. We all do get older! lol
ReplyDeleteI guess at a place that sells landscaping materials its gets really dirty plus I think we got the bottom of the barrel.
DeleteThis is a great idea for the birdbath. This way, it can't dump over. the flowers are all so beautiful! Putting them in mugs seems to be all the rage this year.
ReplyDeleteWe used CoPilot at work and I actually was liking it. It even helped me with my resignation letter when I retired. I just typed in that I needed a warm retirement letter....and viola it gave me everything I needed. Amazing, but a co-worker and I were saying to each other before I left that it would make the next generation lazy and they would no longer need to work for anything. Pretty flower pics and also love the idea of blind book. Janice
ReplyDeleteYesssss to what you've learned about AI! I've recently begun following Kim Komando -- (I guess you'd call her a tech watchdog for everyday folk) who's addressed these sorts of things in language we all can understand.
ReplyDeleteI love the "blind date" idea!
This was so fun Debby. ;-) Tom Cruise and flowers.
ReplyDeleteOur cat Penelope she will be 9 this year, she has been eating more. She even likes to sneak some of Ernie's food.
Hi Debby, I enjoyed your post today. I like to use Siri for quick things like making a phone call while driving. Those flowers are so pretty! Have a nice Mother’s Day!
ReplyDeleteTom Cruise was best in "A few good men"; with "You can't handle the truth!" Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore and Kevin Bacon.
ReplyDeleteI asked my AI how can I liven up a party. It replied, "Don't attend!"
The recipe for your fellowship brunch made me hungry. Save some for me.
God bless.
"Blind date with a book", that really is a clever gift idea. I enjoyed all the flower pictures you posted. Yes, rocks get dirty. Dust. It's every where.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your 'This and That' post.
ReplyDeleteThe flowers all look beautiful.
All the best Jan
I have purchased many "blind date" books, and more at Christmas time. I find it fun. The books they choose are typically higher rated by Good Reads, as that is what one business told me.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing a slice of your life.
ReplyDeleteI know AI is a good thing but it scares me too! Some AI videos seem so real and they are getting better all the time! I love the planter you got from Costco.
ReplyDeleteI so enjoyed this post! So much this or that fun. I don't like AI. Perhaps if I gave ours a name, I might like her better. Or, at least, be kinder!:)
ReplyDelete