On the Mountain


Come along as we go UP to Mt Shasta.






I needed to drop off my son (Foodie) at the trailhead for his 3-day backpacking trip. I always look forward to the scenic drive to Mt. Shasta City, which is about an hour north of us. It's a small, eclectic mountain town that I really enjoy. We'll be driving up on Wednesday afternoon, between 1:30 and 2:30, to pick him up.

From our place, we could tell that our cooler weather had brought the first snow to the Shasta Cascades - both Mt Shasta was covered in a white cape of beauty as well as Mt Lassen to the East. 

Snow levels were around 6,900 ft. 

I had to go up and see the first snow. 

Hold on...







When we make the journey multiple times throughout the year, and no matter how many times I get up there, I am always in awe of this mountain. 






 Mt Shasta - elevation 14,179 (4,322 m)



Many hikers start their journey up the mountain at Bunny Flat. (6,900 ft)

The parking lot was teeming with hikers returning from the trail as the sun dipped low on the horizon. Among the crowd, I struck up a conversation with an elderly gentleman who turned out to be a retired forest ranger. He was cheerfully exchanging pleasantries with everyone as they made their way back to their vehicles. By his side, he had a magnificent large cat named Obie-Wan Kenobi. Despite showing signs of age, it was clear that Obi was enjoying a contented life. The ranger shared with us that he and Obi used to explore these trails together. Observing Obi's peaceful demeanor, it seemed evident that retirement suited him just fine, as he appeared unfazed by the bustle around him, lazily sprawled in the back of the ranger's truck, basking in the invigorating mountain air.










As we ascend 7,000, 8,000, and 9,000 ft, the landscape unfolds beneath us, offering breathtaking panoramic views. 





At this altitude, we have surpassed the tree line, and the scenery is simply spectacular.








It was approximately 4 p.m. in the late afternoon, and the elevation was almost 10,000 feet. Despite the challenging conditions, a scattering of resilient trees persisted at this elevation. 

The temperature was 50 degrees. 





Finally, circling around, and there she is in the distance. 







The rugged mountain formations demand my attention, their towering presence making the surrounding trees seem minuscule in comparison.






I parked the car and stepped out to find beautiful fragrant flowers (lupine) delicately nestled in and around the pristine, glistening snow. It was a breathtaking sight—God's own intricate masterpiece, the Master Landscaper.







This particular area is where many come to take in the spiritual. 

A cool heart made out of rocks. 






The landscape was dotted with several carefully arranged cairns, 
adding a touch of mystique to the scenery.






Rock cairns along trails and in the backcountry should only be made by park rangers, trail maintenance volunteers, or trail creators.  Building cairns for fun could mislead hikers and it leaves a mark on nature. The Leave No Trace principles involve more than just packing out trash. They're about leaving no evidence of your presence and aiming for zero impact on the environment. For example, making rock cairns changes the natural landscape and leaves signs of human activity behind.

After a summer of visiting tourists, it's a shame that people don't understand this. Plus, since it is an area where many spiritual people gather, they have let things slide. I also saw evidence of a huge fire pit!  

I would much rather see the wilderness in its natural form. 





I didn't have my good hiking boots, or we would have gone further up the trail maybe later in the week, before we meet up with my son! 






I thought this site was pretty - wildflowers and mountain views.

I'd love to have a cabin with these views! 






A couple more views of the mountain. 






Time to go - it's around 5:30. 







As I drive back down, I always feel a sense of reluctance to leave.  In the distance, if you look closely, you can catch a glimpse of Mount Lassen beneath the clouds.





Black Butte
Elevation 6,386 ft. (1,931 m) 


In addition to Mt. Shasta, Black Butte is a landmark in the area. Let me indulge my inner geek for a moment. A parasitic cone, also known as an adventive cone or satellite cone, forms independently from the central vent of the main volcano, Mount Shasta, due to eruptive activity from fractures on the volcano's flank, resulting in the accumulation of volcanic material.

As we made our way down the winding mountain road, I captured a photo from inside the car showcasing Black Butte's uniqueness. It really is a huge sight, right off I-5. 

When we finally arrived home, it was 6:45 p.m. I felt rejuvenated and had mental clarity. 


I hope the journey up the mountain and the descent back down were enjoyable for you.







Picture yourself standing at the source of the magnificent Sacramento River, basking in the serene melody of water meandering peacefully by. This tranquil setting encapsulates the river in its nascent form, just before it embarks on its journey through the valley to become one of California's most majestic waterways.

If the video is not working, go to YouTube.
I don't care for the shorts because I cannot embed them in the post. Sorry about that! 


This is where we will pick up my son on Wednesday. 


Take Care,

Debby




























Comments

  1. Oh my what wonderful photos, I really liked these

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have shared so many beautiful photos today. It's a gorgeous mountain. I hope Foodie has a great hike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Debby, your photos of Mount Shasta are awesome! I never tire looking at this mountain, and it exudes a sense of peace and mystery just looking at it, so I'm sure you felt that even more so having been so close to it. I love the picture of the purple flowers, that's very nice. You went up pretty high, with the elevation of 10,000 ft! The heart made out of rocks is so special. I really enjoyed this post, and thank you for sharing these wonderful photos with us. When you go back on Wednesday to get your son, please tell my mother-in-law and brother-in-law I said hello. They are buried up there at the cemetery.

    ; )

    ** I love how you said, when we arrived home, you felt rejuvenated and had mental clarity. There's something about this mountain that gives healing as well.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would like these photos! I actually thought of you while taking them.
      When we saw the clouds over the mountain and the snow I knew I had to get photos of it. They did turn out good! I’d love to blow them up and frame them!
      So your mother in law and brother in law are buried in a Mt Shasta cemetery? Well what a beautiful final resting place.
      The cool air brought out the fragrance of those purple flowers.
      When I was in the Bay Area the ocean used to rejuvenate me but now it’s the higher elevations of a grand mountain top that does it for me. Total serenity.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  4. The photos of the snow-covered mountain are gorgeous, and just breathtaking!! They are my favorite here. I did not know that people could not build rock piles there! Seems innocent enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still build rocks as you can tell by the photos but the environmentalists don’t like it. I can understand to a point. Like there was the debris from a bon fire that shouldn’t have been allowed to happen. They should have at the least cleaned up after themselves.

      Delete
  5. Snow! *sigh* I'm so longing for cooler weather. Just the photos made me smile. I could imagine the cool crispness in the air. So lovely. Great photos. Now I want to make a big heart shape in our front yard. That's neat. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a majestic site Mt. Shasta is! God's creation is beyond awe-inspiring, Debby. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debby, you had my full attention with the mention of temps at 50 degrees. I hope your son has a wonderful hike and is explore things that he has never seen before. Prayers for his safety. Mt. Shasta is beautiful and I sure want to add this stop to our next trip out there. My soul is drawn to the mountains and just seeing your photos today gives me a sense of rejuvenation as well. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son enjoyed his three days—it actually got down to the 40s one evening but 80s during the day.

      Delete
  8. all views of the mountain are spectacular! and also pretty amazing to me, living in the flat lands of Florida. I would love to feel 50 at night and 75 in day, which is our Florida winter or used to be. my favorite view is that creek, the one in the video that it opens with it burbling through the rocks. In my youth, we lived on a creek similar to this one, in Kentucky.. It really looks like it might just be where Heaven might be..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California has many microclimates, especially in and around the mountains. From Artic-like cold to the hot, dry deserts of Death Valley, all in one state!

      Delete
  9. Wow those views are so breathtaking. It really makes Pennsylvania look boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been through Pennsylvania and thought it was beautiful. Each state has their own unique beauty.

      Delete
  10. So beautiful.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful. I can't believe they had snow already. The photos are beautiful. Hope your sons hike goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His hike went well - he really enjoys that time away to re-charge.

      Delete
  12. Oh Boy, I am slightly "jelly" about your trip to Shasta. You bring back great memories of traveling that way . The snow capped peak is stunning and I can smell the freshness. Lupines in the snow..gorgeous... I do hope you can hike the trail when you go back to pick up your son. Life's great adventures await.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have the time to go up to the mountain, but I'm sure we will within the next couple of weeks.

      Delete
  13. Debby these views are just amazing. Thank you for taking us all along on your journey up and down your mountain. God's beauty is everywhere. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the heart labyrinth. Those are really great for meditating. The pictures you shared are so beautiful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I couldn't remember the name of the heart for the life of me!

      Delete
  15. As always, I enjoyed your photos of Mt. Shasta and the surrounding areas. A snow covered mountain is how I love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, and that is why we rushed up to take photos.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here and commenting.
I read them all, and I comment back because I enjoy the dialogue. Sometimes you will learn more about me just with my comments back to you. You don't want to miss those, do you??


Popular Posts