A Fall Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond


1. It's officially fall y'all...in the northern hemisphere anyway. What are three of your favorite things about this particular season of the year?
 







  • The arrival of cooler weather
  • the gradual transformation of the tree leaves from vibrant greens to a breathtaking array of reds, oranges, and yellows. 
  • Finally, the leaves gracefully dancing in the breeze, as they make their descent to the ground, as they announce Autumn.



2. Your favorite fall fabric-denim, flannel, tweed, corduroy, tartan, polar fleece, leather? Do you own something made with your favorite fall fabric?

I never thought of a favorite fall fabric before. I always keep my life simple and streamlined, so my fabrics mostly stay the same. If it gets cold, I add layers. I have some lightweight sweaters and sweatshirts, and I can't stand bulky clothing. 



3. According to Everyday Health here are ten healthy fall foods- apples (flavonoids may improve brain health), pears (for heart friendly fiber), cranberries (helps your body fight oxidative stress) winter squash (for eye health), pumpkin (another great source of Vitamin A), leeks (an anti-inflammatory food), brussel sprouts (full of fiber and anti-oxidants), sweet potatoes (loaded with Vit A and C), parsnips (keep your bones healthy with Vit K), and broccoli (may help prevent cancer). How many on the list do you eat on a regular basis? Which one is your favorite? Which one gets a big no thanks from you? 






I eat apples, pears, cranberries, pumpkin, leeks and broccoli. 

I don't care for sweet potatoes. 



4. Tell us about the last time (or a recent time) you experienced a wave of nostalgia? 





I always get waves of nostalgia. I'm a very sentimental person. 


Today is my youngest son's 40th birthday, which always smacks me with nostalgia. 


5. Sept. 22nd was National Daughter's Day. Like mother, like daughter...does this idiom ring true for you? You may answer in terms of your own role as a daughter or, if you have daughters, then your role as a mother of daughters. 



As I mature, I notice myself doing certain things that strongly resemble my mother's actions, but deep down, I am nothing like my mom. 



Did you know the saying, Like Mother, like daughter, comes from Ezekiel 16;44. 

You have to read it in its full context. 




6. Insert your own random thought here.

I write my Hodgepodges on Tuesdays because my Wednesdays are typically very busy.


I'm facilitating a women's discussion group focused on the book of Revelations as part of our Bible Study Fellowship. The study itself is going great, but I'm struggling to manage the demanding schedule and tasks of the leader meetings and the extra responsibilities that accompany them. 

Tomorrow (or today)  , they have scheduled emergency drills before the ladies arrive at 11 a.m. These drills will encompass protocols for handling an active shooter situation, procedures for lockdown, preparedness for earthquakes, fire safety measures, and protocols for dealing with medical emergencies.

The reality is that we have to prepare for active shooters and lockdowns. It's a sad reflection of the world we live in, but I'm grateful that the admin. take safety seriously and are proactive about it. While the chances of a violent incident in my area are slim, I understand the importance of being prepared for any kind of emergency.

It's good to know this. 


 Thanks for dropping by. 

Until next time,

Debby

Comments

Popular Posts