It's Only Money

 


Yesterday, I took the proactive step of finding a highly recommended local electrician to avoid having my poor husband struggle with crawling up into the attic. I made sure to schedule the electrician promptly, as I've heard about others waiting weeks for home repairs to be completed. At first, he didn't want the help, but I convinced him. It's hard for men to allow the younger men to do what they used to do. He did spend all day troubleshooting for the electrician and I'm sure that kept the cost low. 


It's all fixed now and only came to $125. 


Now we can plug in our car! 


As mentioned earlier, I tend to default to worrying. One of my areas I would worry about till I made myself sick was always over money and finances. I used to excel at this, but I've learned to control and redirect those negative thoughts related to potential financial hardships.

I wanted to share with you all, who might have the same default settings of anxiety and worry in your programming. From my Alanon daily reader, Courage to Change - 



"I suspect that if I reclaimed all the minutes, hours, and days I've sacrificed to worry and fear, I'd add years to my life. When I succumb to worry, I open up Pandora's box of terrifying pictures, paranoid voices and relentless self-criticism. The more attention I pay to this mental static, the more I lose my mental foothold in reality. Then nothing useful can be accomplished.

"To break the cycle of worry and fear, I'm learning to focus all my attention on this very moment. I can turn away from destructive thoughts and concentrate instead on the sights and sounds around me: light and shadows, the earth beneath my feet, the pulse of everyday living - all pieces of the here and now. These bits of reality help rescue me from the "what if's" and "should have's" by anchoring me to the present. Prayer and meditation, the slogans and phone calls to Al-Anon friends are other sources of serenity that bring me back to the moment. As I shut out the noise, I am more receptive to my Higher Power's will  (who I call Jesus) and therefore much more able to work my way out of difficult times."




I understand. Many people have told me that they've tried to stop worrying and it hasn't worked. or its too hard and they just can't. But I want to tell you, it is possible. Sure I still have my moments but not like I used to. Overcoming the challenging habits of worry and anxiety isn't easy, but with the help of God and our willingness to follow His guidance (Read Matthew 6:25-34), it can elevate all the suffering that anxiety and worry cause. It requires effort on our part to be able to recognize what we are doing to ourselves. It's not healthy to worry.

My mother-in-law used to say, "It's only money," and back in my younger days, that made me mad - as if she wasn't hearing me. Now, and even my sons, have come to understand that little platitude she always would say. I now can run through a mental list in my head:

No one's dead

No one is dying 

It's not the end of the world 


Todays Reminder:

This day is all I have to work with and its all I need. If I am tempted to worry about tomorrow's concerns, I will gently bring my mind back to today.


In my journey of personal growth, I've come to understand that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. One of my personal challenges has been grappling with obsessive anxiety and worry. Although I haven't completely overcome these struggles, I've made a conscious decision to practice letting go and putting my trust in God. This has been an important step for me in finding peace and balance in my life.


Debby


Comments

  1. January 10th. A very good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's only money but when you don't have much of it, it can seem like so much more. Also I often say it's not the end of the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what it was like not having enough money - I look back now and I survived. In fact those times were actually sweet and precious of course I didn’t realize it until years later. After my son died I started to evaluate my worry about money and came to the conclusion that life was more important. I can always get some money but I’ll never be able to bring back my son. It works for me.

      Delete
  3. To let go and let God is one of the most valuable lessons I've learned in life. My mother, bless her, was an incorrigible worrier, the queen of the "what-ifs." Because of committing myself to Jesus and His Word, my own worries, though not erased, have lessened. It truly is one day at a time, isn't it? Tomorrow has it's own worries.
    Blessings, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Such a simple concept. My mom was also a worrier so for me it was a learned trait by observing her. Yes, one day at a time!

      Delete
  4. I have always been a big worrier. So to me, you seem to have done the impossible. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an amazing God! Just ask Him and He will get you through.

      Delete
  5. I came out of the womb with anxiety and worry, and born to a dad who was the one that gave me his genes. he was extremely paranoid and a worrier to the bone, and also the penny pinching king of all time. I am not as bad as he is but am close.
    I live in the future through worry and miss a lot of sleep thinking of the what ifs. also I have lived my entire life below the poverty line, even as retirees we are still consider at the poverty line. I fret over every penny we spend. and most of the time people who say its only money have plenty of it to live on. the homeless, the hungry in USA don't think its only money.
    I am so happy for you that you have learned to over come the worry and what ifs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually my mother-in-law wasn’t rich - she just looked at the bigger picture. Lives are more important than money.
      I have found for myself, that I do much better if I live for today. Sure one can do what they can to prepare but we mere humans cannot prevent calamity. That’s when giving it all over to God comes into play.

      Delete
  6. I hear you completely on this post....I suppose that I just have the personality of wanting to make sure that ALL of my little chicks live a worry free life. Doesn't work that way though. I think I've mentioned before, that the little book "pulling down strongholds" has helped me so much. I know I have read this tiny book hundreds of times. Thankful for the provision that the Lord provides. I truly feel for younger people today...trying to get started in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be that way- I just can’t anymore. Every generation has had hardships throughout time and it’s for them to figure out. Sure we hate to see them struggle but that’s part of life. We’ve all had our struggles. In actuality it’s those financial struggles that made us who we are today.
      Surrendering all to God is the answer.

      Delete
  7. I have always had a fear that If I didn't worry about the worse that could happen it would even though my logical self knows that it doesn't work that way. I know that it cannot change in anyway any outcome but I think I inherited it from my paternal grandmother who was very much a worry wart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a terrible habit that just isn't good for us.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here and commenting.
I read them all, and I comment back because I enjoy the dialogue. Sometimes you will learn more about me just with my comments back to you. You don't want to miss those, do you??


Popular Posts