Open House


Yesterday, we explored downtown Weaverville. 

I always find myself wondering what it would be like to live in these quaint small towns. I decided to take a stroll through the older neighborhoods in the area. Weaverville, with its population of 3,667, strikes a perfect balance as a charming mountain town. What truly sets it apart and has preserved its historical charm is the steadfastness of its residents, The town has managed to resist the temptations of the exploitative tourist industry, unlike many other California towns that have succumbed to its influence. Then you get hoards of tourists, and traffic! 

It's evident that real, genuine lives are lived here, with families spanning multiple generations residing in this town or nearby. I parked right in front of a captivating Victorian home on Main Street, adding to the town's picturesque appeal.








I love this front door. The Victorian paint job on the door reminds me of my Dad…

RABBIT TRAIL ALERT! 
🐇🐇

As a child, I have fond memories of my dad, who worked as a commercial painting contractor in San Francisco. I recall how he had the opportunity to paint the exteriors of some of the city's most beautiful Victorian homes - which brings me to this memory: 

When a movie was made in San Francisco he would get a kick out of eagerly watching for his work in the background of car chase scenes. There was even a time when he and his crew ended up as extras in a Dirty Harry movie because they were already working on a large building with scaffolding, and the production company was wanting the equipment gone - There was a standoff - The work continued and there they were, in the background of a movie! 


Anyway, back on track...






The thought of sitting outside on this beautiful porch and just watching people pass by sounds so "Mayberry"







The cozy smaller houses were equally charming and more suited to my preference. Their roofs were made of corrugated metal, ideal for withstanding the snowy winters in the area.







A number of these small residences were constructed in the 1860s, each with its own unique history and charm.








This charming property, which was built in 1856, is currently available for purchase at the incredibly low price of $249,000. 

⭐️Don't miss out on this amazing deal!







This particular house looks similar to the home my grandparents lived in when they moved from Tennessee to Indiana, to live closer to my aunts. This one feels more familiar and comfortable to me. Interestingly, this house has since been transformed into the town's art gallery.








I really enjoyed this quaint little house/Art Gallery, with its charming white picket fence and peaceful side yard. It was such a lovely and serene setting.





 


This one is for sale as well. 

Still a reasonable price at $589,000.
4 bedrooms/3 bathrooms 
2864 sq. ft. 

Built-in 1897


The exterior of the house is absolutely stunning, with beautiful grounds surrounding it. However, the interior is in need of some updating. It appears to still have the old electrical plugs, and the bathrooms and kitchen have a distinct 1970s style that is outdated. Additionally, there is gaudy 1960s wallpaper on the ceilings with unmatched wallpaper on the walls. Renovations would need to be carefully planned in order to modernize the interior without compromising the original charm and integrity of the home.






Back Patio 






That back porch is so beautiful that I wouldn't mind living there while the renovations were going on. 








That's more grass than our little electric lawn mower could handle. 









The entire yard is absolutely enchanting. 


The charming allure of these houses may be captivating, but I find greater satisfaction in my own little home. I appreciate the simplicity of smaller living as they require less maintenance and cleaning, allowing for a more manageable lifestyle and that means contentment for me. 


Lord when we feel lost, help us to trust you to lead us on the path toward home. 

No hodgepodge today because I couldn't relate to the questions this week. 

Comments

  1. I love every single home you showed us, the first is my favorite, but to big to take care of, and the smaller homes would be easier. even our small home is now beyond my care. I am thinking an RV might be what I could take care of now.. this is a beautiful town and I would love to walk those streets like you did

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story of your Dad and being extras!
    That little town is charming. Good for them for holding out against tourism.
    I'm with you in enjoying my little house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still so much more to see there. I want to go back and walk through their cemetery.

      Delete
  3. I love them all! Yet, like you, in this season of life, I prefer small and cozy.
    I'll never forget when, 6 years ago our real estate agent remarked, "Old historical homes are romantic ... but very expensive to maintain."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I do, too! I used to enjoy visiting my cousins in Indiana. Everyone knows everybody!

      Delete
  5. Those homes are charming! The one for sale for just under $500 is stunning. Adorable town and how neat that your dad and painting crew were in the background of a movie scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timeless beauty that you don't see that much anymore.

      Delete
  6. It is a quaint small town. Love the architecture. So pretty. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The intricate architecture is truly remarkable, showcasing the old-world craftsmanship that was meticulously crafted by hand.

      Delete
  7. I love the small homes... I would go for the 249,000 one... if I had that extra jingle in my pocket. Hee hee!
    I enjoyed the story about your dad. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the one I really liked too. I could see myself there.

      Delete
  8. Homes that are most definitely charming, Debby. I so loved this tour you gave us today. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post and the small town atmosphere. I could really live there except for the snow. All those porches are so inviting. That's one thing I wish we had in our home. Small is definitely better at this stage of my life.
    I'm sure I have seen your Dad's work on all of the SF Victorian homes. We loved to roam the streets and look at them every chance Dave and I have. Really cool about your Dad and workers being extras in the movie.
    Its a gray and coolish morning today. I'm loving it!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He painted those homes and businesses in the 1960s and 1970s, so I'm sure they've been painted over several times by now.

      Small is cozy! They do get quite a bit of snow. We can't get over there once the snow falls because of the road conditions. 2 lane road! It gets snowed in, causing mudslides and wrecks. It's safer to wait until the spring.

      Delete
  10. Those houses are so charming. I loved seeing them. That one that is for sale is so pretty. That's pretty cool about your dad and the crew being in the background of the movie. Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH, those porches!! I bet they have a lot of fireflies there, and wouldn't it be divine to sit on one of these porches on a balmy evening with a drink and watch the fireflies? I miss having a porch so much! This place is wonderful! All of the homes are so well cared for

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I could be oh so happy in any of those homes. All of them look so lovely...and I love your descriptions. And really enoyed your rabbit trail story!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - yeah, I tend to do that with the rabbit trails! Noticing it more as I get older.

      Delete
  13. Love all the houses. What a lovely old town.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here and commenting.
I read them all, and I comment back because I enjoy the dialogue. Sometimes you will learn more about me just with my comments back to you. You don't want to miss those, do you??


Popular Posts