Part Two - The Pioneer Baby's Grave




Yesterday, my husband and some members of the local Jewish synagogue came together for a workday to tend to the maintenance of the baby's grave. I wanted to be there, but I couldn't make it. Thankfully, they received assistance from a youth group belonging to the Seventh Day Adventist church in our town, and they got a lot of work done.

In the top left corner, it appears as though a tree has been deliberately planted.









After removing all the overgrown shrubs and hauling them out of the area, the impact of the scorching 100+ degree dry summer heat is evident—the area is devoid of any grass or flowers. It seems impossible for anything to grow here without access to a spigot for watering. 

Despite this, it's clear that the area relies solely on the natural resources provided by our Creator, God. Even in the face of a fire, it's remarkable how God safeguarded the grave of this little pioneer baby grave for 159 years.  








When my husband sent me his photos, I reflected on the above verse.  Life is temporary like some flowers. Amidst our world's temporary and delicate nature, one eternal constant endures—the timeless wisdom and unwavering truth found in God's Word.

 After the winter rains, the once desolate and dry land will undergo a transformation—vibrant new grasses will sprout, and wildflowers may adorn the scenery once again. We monitor the area closely. I am considering scattering a native wildflower mix in the area.


I'm sorry if you're disappointed that I cannot show you all a more dramatic transformation following the clean-up. However, the area will not be fully restored to its former beauty for many years. The initial clean-up has significantly improved the area, reflecting a strong sense of stewardship. Most importantly, it fostered camaraderie and new friendships. 







Alone Again 


The synagogue invited my husband to participate in the Mourners Kaddish in Hebrew before he departed.

Mourner’s Kaddish in English Translation 

Glorified and sanctified be God’s great name throughout the world which He has created according to His will. May He establish His kingdom in your lifetime and during your days, and within the life of the entire House of Israel, speedily and soon; and say, Amen. 

May His great name be blessed forever and to all eternity. Blessed and praised, glorified and exalted, extolled and honored, adored and lauded be the name of the Holy One, blessed be He, beyond all the blessings and hymns, praises and consolations that are ever spoken in the world; and say, Amen. 

May there be abundant peace from heaven, and life, for us and for all Israel; and say, Amen. 

He who creates peace in His celestial heights, may He create peace for us and for all Israel; and say, Amen.

After my son Michael passed away in 2003, our Jewish congregation in San Francisco showed us incredible support. Even though I am not Jewish, they attended his "very Christian" celebration of Life and continued to offer their love and care to me.  Every Shabbat, during the liturgy, there was a special moment where those who had experienced recent loss stood up, and the Mourners Kaddish was recited in both Hebrew and English. Over time, I learned how to say it in Hebrew. The English version of the prayer held deep meaning for me, providing comfort and solace during a difficult period. To this day, hearing the Mourners Kaddish gives me chills and brings back memories of the overwhelming love and support I received from my Jewish friends during that time. It's a beautiful and poignant reminder of their compassionate embrace, that I will never forget. 

__________________


I couldn't make it on Saturday because I was volunteering at our local Day in Al-anon. I was working in the kitchen, preparing the produce for a salad bar when I accidentally cut off a small piece of my left thumb. Despite the mishap, I managed to clean and bandage the cut and then put on a glove so I could continue with the food preparation. 

Ouch! I have a pretty deep cut that sliced a part of my nail and the nailbed. It's quite inconvenient having to keep a bandage on my thumb, and it's made me realize just how essential my thumb is for nearly everything I do.

Well this is it for me on this last Monday of September which I find really hard to believe. It seems like it was  September 10, a week ago. 


Until tomorrow -
Debby











Comments

Popular Posts