Appie Pie and Blue Grass Music.


Drove over to the Apple Festival this lovely morning. 

Note to Self: we need to get there just a little before they open to escape the crowds. 






Wow, what a great photo of the portable toilets - 

I absolutely avoid using them. I'd rather hold it until I'm about to burst -  Ugh, they're so hot and stinky, and I always feel so cramped and claustrophobic when I step inside.






Just over that ridge was the Park fire. 

As I wandered around the main entertainment tent, I took the time to visit a couple of booths. I noticed that some of the artisans and crafters at the event were the same ones I've seen at local farmers' markets and other events in the area. Despite that, I did take a few photos for you. 





I have fond memories of both my grandmas in aprons.  I never saw them without one, and both of them always made sure to have a fresh, clean apron every day. 


Who wears aprons 
when they cook or bake? 






I was really impressed by the beautiful background display at the booth. The colors were so vibrant and it really stood out. Seeing it in person was even better -  so bright and cheerful.  

I noticed that they were selling whole pies for $25-30.






Stuff for the guys...







The items were adorable and crafted using chenille yarn. 

I believe that's the correct term for it.





Too bad they didn't make some apples.







I liked this little guy...



We enjoyed the FREE entertainment - the music of two Bluegrass bands. *We left after the 2nd band -  One of the bands was a large family group, and they were exceptional. The mother, originally from Tennessee, had been living here for decades. She skillfully played the big bass fiddle, adding a rich and deep sound to the music.

The second group, known as the Mountain Messengers, is led by George, a veteran whom my husband is acquainted with. Over the years, my husband has spent time listening to their rehearsals. George, is in the video wearing his white shirt and black vest, playing the guitar.




The soulful melodies of bluegrass music resonate with me on a profound level, evoking memories of my East Tennessee family. My late brother was not only a Pastor of his little country church but was a talented bluegrass musician, skilled in playing the mandolin, banjo, and guitar. My sister-in-law plays the guitar and sings like a bird.  I have memories of gathering on the porch in the evenings, surrounded by the sweet sounds of bluegrass. Their music would attract neighbors, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere. The joyful gatherings often included my nephew showcasing his skills on the juice-harp, adding to the lively and heartwarming moments we shared.  


It evokes such strong emotions of a simpler time and tears to my eyes...







After we moved up here from the San Francisco Area 16 years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a vibrant bluegrass community. During my childhood and teenage years, I kept my interest in bluegrass music a secret because my friends referred to it as "Hillbilly music," influenced by the portrayal of "hillbillies" in the TV show, The Beverly Hillbillies. My dad strongly disliked the show and discouraged us from watching it, as he felt it depicted his people as unintelligent. He wanted me to embrace and respect our heritage. 

As I savored every bite of the delicious $5 slice of pie, I couldn't help but tap my foot to the rhythm of the music playing in the background. With closed eyes, I found myself reminiscing about my dear Grandma, my brother John, and the beautiful moments we spent together on the porch.

I sure hope they have bluegrass music and porches in Heaven!







As we were driving away, I noticed a humorous sign displayed on a property in this rural area. I may start collecting these amusing private property signs, as their creativity never fails to bring a smile to my face.

I definitely got the hint!








Oh and before I forget - here is the bread my husband baked. 








He baked two delicious loaves of bread, one with yellow raisins and the other with regular raisins. Each bite is a sweet burst of raisin - enhancing the taste.

We're almost done with the first loaf. It's a delicious Challah bread, and instead of the traditional braid, it's been rolled up into a beautiful circular shape. The crust has been lovingly brushed with a mixture of egg and honey, giving it a glossy finish.

Tonight, we won't be having pizza. I've decided to give my husband a break from making pizza. Instead, we'll be having cod, baked macaroni and cheese, and perhaps a green vegetable.


Enjoy the rest of your Saturday. 

Debby
 


PS. Let's try to remember the East Tennessee counties in your prayers. They seem to be slipping from the cracks and not receiving as much media attention - they, too are also facing hardships and challenges - just not the massive scale of North Carolina. 

We are grateful for Dolly Parton for her support and assistance to "her people" during this difficult time. 


Comments

Popular Posts