A Wednesday Hodgepodge



 From this Side of the Pond

1. When the Hodgepodge lands on September 11th I want to acknowledge that. Will you purposely pause to remember, pray, or attend any sort of ceremony on 9/11? Share any thoughts or memories you'd like to share about this day. 


I won't be attending any ceremony because I have my study group. but I will remember the event. How could I not? 
Horrible, tragic day. I feel for the families. 




2. Growing up, did you spend a lot of time with your grandparents? What's something you learned from a grandparent? 


Grandma came to spend a birthday with me

No, I did not have the pleasure of being around them and the rest of my family because we lived in California and my maternal Grandma lived in Ohio and my dad's folks lived in Tennessee. We got back there every other summer and Sometimes over Easter Vacation on off years. I wrote letters to both Grandmas from an early age. 

I miss them. 



3. What's your go-to breakfast? 

If I had a personal chef, I would want an omelet every morning. Since I don't, I have one cup of black coffee and a very small bowl of cereal. Sometimes, I might have a couple of tablespoons of yogurt, fruit, or a hard-boiled egg. 


4. Tell us the story behind one of your favorite photos. 

I can't choose just one...so here goes:



I call this "Daddy's Girl."

He instructed me to direct my finger toward the bumper sticker, and I eagerly followed his direction. His delighted expression upon seeing the bumper sticker brought me immense satisfaction, knowing that I had brought joy to my daddy.




My First Kiss. 
I was a Daddy's girl.





My feelings towards my mother were also strong, but our relationship was different. She was often strict and less openly affectionate. 




It's intriguing how there always seems to be a "space" separating us.




For five years, I was the only child.

As I gazed at my baby sister for the first time, my expression revealed a mix of surprise and wonder—

"Okay, can we take her back now?"




I have that same look here! I didn't like taking a bath with my sister because she would pee and poo in the tub. Just after this was taken, she did it again!


 This week Friday lands on the 13th. Are you superstitious in any way? Do you like scary movies, and if so what's your favorite? 

I no longer entertain those notions. 




No, I don't watch scary movies either. The Night of the Living Dead and The Exorcist were the last scary movies I saw. The Exorcist: I came home and vomited after seeing it in the movies. Freaked me out! 


6. Insert your own random thought here



Comments

  1. I love your random thought, that is what happens to me when asked that question or any direct question like the hodgepod questions. I don't remember learning anything from my grandmothers, did not see them often enough to. I do remember learning that if you stick your fingers in a roller on an old Maytag washer, it breaks the fingers. my grandmother got her hand caught in the rollers. I do enjoy reading others answers to the questions.. I had a coat just like yours in the daddy's girl, and I was daddy's girl until I became a teen. then we butted heads daily because unknown to me back then, we were two peas from the same pod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seventy years, we're entitled to draw a blank!
      That was the same with my dad in my teen years. We used to butt heads all the time because we were so much a like.

      Delete
  2. I just realized I've been sending my comments to your contact me, instead of comments... Good grief!
    I will always remember 9/11
    I enjoyed your photos!
    My grandparents, except my paternal grandpa had passed by the time I was 4. My Grandpa had 9 kids, lots of grandkids so while I have good memories of him, we didn't really have a lot of one on one time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I moved it.
      Grandparents are a blessing

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, these old photos put such a big smile on my face. The look on your grandmother's face at your birthday is precious. I may have laughed out loud at that bumper sticker; where can I get one of my own? (lol) I think my favorite is "Daddy's Girl" ... mine's been gone since 1981, but I still miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was 74, of a massive heart attack. Gone way too soon.

      Delete
  4. I loved the old photos, Debby, and I, too, hate scary movies. Guess this world is frightening enough. LOL!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the world is frightening - why conjure up more things?

      Delete
  5. I was lucky to grow up living close to my grandparents and spending a lot of time with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice Karen. Even my times were short, they were still meaningful - we made the best of the time we had when were together.

      Delete
  6. Yes, today is a day we will never forget. The photos you shared are all so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yep, those younger years of us all are precious memories of a time now forgotten

      Delete
  7. I don't like horror movies either! You were so adorable!! And after the first miserable bath with your sister, I think I would have let you take separate ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I do believe it wasn't long after that, I graduated to showers.

      Delete
  8. Love your random thought...that's me too.
    I loved my Grandparents but really didn't know them, living in CA and they in Minnesota. There are very few REAL memories, just things my folks have told me.
    Not into scary movies at all and not superstitious except I don't like the # 666
    The photo of you and your mom in front of the white house made me sad. Her position away from you put an ache in my heart. Very telling, (to me)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I noticed it not too long ago. Then, I started finding it in many other photos. I just learned to accept her and her form of affection - you get used to what you have.

      Delete
  9. I hated having to share my bath with my younger sister not that she peed or pooed in the bath but because I liked to lay flat in the bath and couldn't do that if I had to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I did soon after graduate to my bath and or started taking showers.

      Delete
  10. I was also closer to my dad. I like the picture of you by the car and the bathtub. I did not like the Exorcist either and some people did vomit in the theater. My grandparents helped to take care of us. We have always helped with our grands since we are retired and they are close by. Not the grands help us with our dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that movie since. Oh, and the movies Carrie and Rosemary's Baby. Once was enough.

      Delete
  11. I love that picture of you with your Grandma at your birthday...and then you kissing your daddy, and that bumper sticker! LOL. I wonder if he'd still want that one today! LOL. I am sorry you weren't as close to your mother, but not all mothers are the real "mothering type". And some families just weren't brought up to be real affectionate. Our family was not overly affectionate, and it really wasn't until I got married into my hubby's southern hugging family that I learned to hug people more, so I took that back home to my parents and siblings and often would be the first one to hug, and then they seemed to like it. I'm glad I learned that. It made our adult years sweeter. Oh, that picture of you with your baby sister, well both pictures, are just precious. But the story about the bathtub is hilarious. I wouldn't want to take a bath with her either! LOL. Yikes!!! I hope you rinsed well! LOL. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if he would be a Democrat now or not, although in his youth, he was always a Democrat. My mom died in 2008 and voted for Hillary in the primary.

      OH yes, I rinsed very well.

      Delete
  12. Such a sad day for our Country. Prayers will always continue for the United States of America. Your childhood photos are all so adorable. Especially the one of you holding your baby sister. I am not a fan of scary movies at all...nor do I really care for Halloween. I need to start eating a healthy breakfast....Most of the time I just grab something around 10:00 and normally it's not anything healthy. I'm a little late reading post today...Hope it was a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back and forth on healthy foods. Makes me think of the Apostle Paul, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." Romans 7:15 - Although I don't really believe he was talking about eating healthy but it just popped into my mind. Lol.

      Delete
  13. Love those photos of you as a little girl - they all show so much personality! I often have the same reaction when I come to my "random thought" each week. LOL Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was daddy's little girl too. My mom was very strict and not very affectionate either. My sister was also born 5 years after me. We have somewhat similarities it seems. Love seeing your childhood photos. My mom has all of the family photos and wont share with anyone. 9/11 was such a tragic day for our country, but I fear it will happen again will all of the illegals coming in. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable pictures! I love the one with you and your dad. My girls are daddy girls which I love. My dad was very quiet and though I knew he loved me, he wasn´t super affectionate. He was diagnosed with a terminal illness when I was 11 and died when I was 13. If my husband were (heaven forbid) to die soon, I am so glad that my kids will have had a dad for longer than I did. Well, that sounds morbid but hopefully you know what I mean. Speaking of morbid, the Exorcist sounds awful. I have never seen it nor will I!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed your answers and I LOVED the photos. I am 5 years older than my sister. haha...loved #6. I often feel that way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here and commenting.
I read them all, and I comment back because I enjoy the dialogue. Sometimes you will learn more about me just with my comments back to you. You don't want to miss those, do you??


Popular Posts