My Friday "Forgots"

Just a few things I forgot to post this week. 




My son sent me this photo via text that he found on social media. It was taken on either the 12th or the 13th when the Northern Lights made a rare appearance in Shasta County. The stunning photo captures the Northern Lights and the Shasta Dam.






When I originally uploaded the old houses, I left out some...

This is adorable. 
Sorry, but I get the first dibs on this one! 







I am still determining what happened to these houses. They didn't have porches! They were cute, but they went right up to the sidewalk. 

I'd need a buffer—they had big side yards. 

The front needs some TLC.







This house went back far- so it was actually bigger than it looks and it had a nice side yard. Both houses need some curb appeal. 


So, how would you add some curb appeal? 






Another shot of that big house for sale. 






The charming side front porch features what appears to be a porch swing, adding to its inviting allure.









The location captured in the image is the breezeway of the Trinity Hotel in Weaverville. I just liked it. 






Cameron Building Site

In 1852 the Cameron Bros. built a 2 story building. Madam La Batcheler purchased it in 1853 and operated the Golden Gate Saloon. Later known as the Polka Saloon, by 1855, the town lodges of ECV, Masons and Son of Temperance met in the upper story hall. The site was burned clean in late 1855, 1859 and 1863.










Can you read it?



When driving, will you stop if you see historical markers?

I enjoy them because when I come home, I like to do more research on them. 





Mountain Charlie is a legend in Northern California. 






He was truly a character in Weaverville and beyond. I first learned of the "Mountain Charlie," story in the Santa Cruz Mountains and when my boys went to camp. There are many markers around about him. 




CHARLES HENRY McKiernan 

"MOUNTAIN CHARLIE" 1825 - JANUARY 16, 1892 

MOST COLORFUL OF ALL CHARAC- TERS IN SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS. THE FIRST WHITE SETTLER IN SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAIN SECTION. A PIONEER HUNTER, RANCHER, TEAMSTER, AND ROAD BUILDER. HIS MOTTO WAS "RIGHT WRONGS NOBODY" 

DEDICATED JULY 20, 1974 MOUNTAIN CHARLIE CHAPTER NO.1850 E CLAMPUS VITUS






These markers were on the Courthouse:

Henry Hocker built the courthouse in 1857 as a hotel, store, and saloon and later purchased it by the Board of Supervisors in 1865. 



In Memory of William C. “Bill” Jackson Deputy Sherriff of Trinity County Killed in the Performance of His Duty April 27, 1971 Erected by Trinity County Employees Association 

________________________________


In Memory of 

E. Jose – 
D. Haskell 
B. - Montgomery 

Express Messengers Killed on Duty Placed by N.S.G.W. and N.D.G.W.


My inquiring mind looked it up on Find a Grave. I was unable to find the other two. 

________________________________
 On June 10, 1894, at 9:30 P.M., Edward William José was mortally wounded by his new freight driver, who had robbed the freight wagon the day before. José left a wife, Mollie Dockery, and five children.
________________________________

Hopefully, I haven't forgotten anything else I wanted to post. As I get older and more forgetful, there might be a few of these "Friday Forgots" in my future. 

I hope you all have an awesome evening and a wonderful weekend doing what you want. If what you want is nothing, then GREAT!

Debby








Comments

Popular Posts